How fast do you tow??

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Yak, Nov 7, 2012.

1. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I try to set my cruise control because I've gotten up to 70-75 without knowing it [8D]

2. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Regardless of how fast I tow, I check wheel hubs and tires for excessive heat. My tires are in good condition (relatively fresh rubber kept out of desert sun) and bearings kept properly lubricated. I try to keep around time honored max speed of 65 MPH (not below if I can help it).

3. flash82

flash82 Member

Last week an older Dodge dually pulling a fifth wheel blew by me in the left lane, I was doing 78mph. He was easily going more than 83.

4. 96Rockwood

96Rockwood Member

When towing with the 2500HD, set the cruise at 67, tow haul engages and in overdrive. No WDH or sway control, just the 2 5/16 ball.

5. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

Awesome video on the first page!

As to the question, usually 65 or less to match the trailer tire speed ratings. Hills might be significantly less. I set the cruise cause otherwise I would naturally increase the speed higher.

6. DigitalGuru

DigitalGuru Active Member

We just got back from a 2800 mile road trip towing the 3500# pup. It was great. In flat areas I was towing around 65-67mph with OD on, and was getting about 24mpg on my 2.8L diesel. Towing in the hills of appalachians, I was around 60 mph with OD off and was getting about 21mpg. I love my Jeep!

DG

7. Tyreguy

Tyreguy Member

Cruise set at 60, overdrive off, average 17/18 mpg's! Slow down, enjoy the drive.
    [:D]

8. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Ya, I know.... I don't place too many quotes from others, maybe I should do more. Not too long ago, there was a problem with too many quotes being made. I don't want to add to the problem. Sorry to confuse.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I think the big problem was when someone quoted the entire post immediately preceding theirs before responding. Steve asked that people not do that and for earlier posts, just quote the part pertinent to your response.

10. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

I hit 120 MPH once towing 2 motorcycles (a Honda 750 and a Honda 350) with my Goat on a dare. Yes, I was young and foolish. Incidentally, my GTO would trap 162 MPH (not towing of course).

The fastest I've ever towed my Aliner, for a long distance, is 75 MPH across West Texas when returning from camping at Big Bend. That was the legal speed limit at the time. It is now 80 MPH around Ft. Stockton. I did it with my little Chevy Cobalt SS (not stock either.) I obviously don't recommend either, normally limiting my towing speed to 65 MPH. When you need to cover 1,000 miles in one day it's either that or no-doze and lots of coffee.

Chip

11. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

The fastest I go is 60 if the road is decent. On the interstate, I'll do 65. The pup tows really nice with no sway whatsoever.
    Even at that, my MIL of all people, pointed out to me that even if it's towing nice at 65, those little 10" pup tires are really spinning...maybe too fast. [:!]

12. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Yikes! I don't ever want to do that. The most I think I've ever done was around 675 miles (Syracuse, NY to Raleigh, NC). That was a 12 hour trip, and that is about my limit for one day. Doing 1,000 miles, I think I would injure/kill myself and/or others, because I know I couldn't stay awake that long at the wheel!

13. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

I liked the 65 mph cruising. Everything towed just right and that speed gave this old man some reaction/readjustment time. Now in the big rolling hills before coming into the mountains I would on the downside of a hill pick up maybe to 70 and then by the peak of the next hill I'd be doing the magic 65. Into the mountains a different story, downshifted into 3rd and even on some excellent divided four lane 60 would be tops. Of course some of those old two lane highways with at least an 8% incline it could be as low as 35.

14. desertlady

desertlady Member

I tow @60mph. I find I get better gas mileage, plus I can enjoy the ride and scenery better. Unstable Tripod made some informative and interesting comments on what takes place "under the hood". I keep my van and camper maintained according the maintenance records. My last road trip (Sep 2012) was @7,000 miles safe driving. Have Fun out there!

15. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

I love that Top Gear episode (It's on NetFlix).

The Brit's use a stock Mitsubishi, while the Americans use a modified diesel truck and a shorter trailer.
    I think the Brit's win just due to the speed they attained using the equipment the used (weight/power ratio)
    Plus, the Top Gear episode is more fun to watch!

16. warwgn3

warwgn3 Car Shows are 2nd only to Camping!

I usually tow at 100 km/h (62 mph) with my 1990 Lincoln Mark VII.

My brother normally goes about 110 km/h (68 mph) with his 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Also, My father just recently acquired a 2002 Chevrolet Astro that we could use as a 3rd tow vehicle. We haven't towed with it yet, but I would imagine he would go about 120 km/h (75mph).

My record for long distance is about 2,400 kms (1,500 miles) from Ottawa ON to Spencer WI. On the way down, I spent a few days camping in Hell, MI. before dropping my pup off at Bear Creek Canvas, and staying at a friends place in Janesville WI. When I came to pick up my camper, I drove all the way to Echo Bay campground (just past Sault Ste Marie, ON) before calling it a night after driving for 17 hours straight.

17. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Truthfully, it was a rhetorical question, needed a header for the vid, but thanks all

18. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

[LOL] [LOL] 3 pages...LMAO [8D]

19. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

The speed limit in CA is 55. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

That said, when I'm on long grades, I go with the flow in the lane/lanes between the slow trucks and the cars going over the speed limit. I try to avoid impeding anybody behind me and getting stuck in the real slow lane. That said I have a Tahoe and I can hit it and pick up speed pretty quickly if I need to doge things.

On regular freeways, I run in the 3 or 4 lane keeping with flow of traffic, unless it is way too far over 55. Generally I stay with the trucks.

20. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I try to stay as close to 55 MPH while towing in CA. I do not want any traffic violations. Feel bad for truckers because time is money for those folks.