how has the economy affected your pup?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jeepjunky, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Buddy Ter

Buddy Ter New Member

So far, so good. We haven't booked as many weekends as I expected but that's more due to having a fairly big medical expense this year. But that'll be done by year's end and next year (I hope) we'll get out more.

2. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

The advantage of popup camping is that it cost less than other alternatives. Even with a bad economy, it enables more overnight sleep opportunities over motels/hotels. Fortanately, with financial constraints, we have been able to pay between $12 to $18 a night at federal agency campgrounds.

3. fire4effect97

fire4effect97 Russ & Shawna, DD1, DD2, DD3

Well I'm a new pup owner. I bought a 2010 Rockwood HW for a good deal almost 50% off so I couldn't pass it up. My family like to go places for the weekend and usually end up at the Holiday Inn spending $120.00 a night. So even with my monthly payment for the pup, the spot rental and food we should come out ahead using the pup.

4. craigbaker

craigbaker Member

I saw a bumper sticker yesterday on my way home that I just loved! "I refuse to participate in this recession!" It was on an older, car that has seen many a better day.

We started out early on having our first DS while in college and the second just after leaving college. Spent a year unemployed right out of school and have slowly been climbing the IT ladder since then. Luckily I was able to land a new job that kept my pay about the same but added considerable benefits (health, life insurance, etc). The downside is that I lost 3+ weeks of vacation and get 1 week to use until next January. That just means we camp closer to home and for weekends. The other advantage we have is being a single income, we have been used to little or no money at the end of the pay period.

The biggest thing that changed for us is that we stopped using credit to live, cut back on all major (and minor) expenses where feasible. That includes spending more time thinking about the projects and planning them through before executing them. Dragging the projects (roof rebuild) out over a longer time frame to make it more affordable.

I too think the pup represents something great for our family. The boys love to talk about where we might go and what we might do. It's about spending time as a family enjoying nature as it should be. That and an opportunity to teach my boys something about making things work, even if it's not what you really want.

Sooner or later things will turn around and we might just get what we want rather than just what we need. Until then, I still have my family, my friends and my health! Couldn't ask for more!

5. raugustine1963

raugustine1963 New Member

Luckily my lady and I are both employed, although for how much longer is anybodys guess. Six or seven years ago I walked away from a divorce $35,000 in debt. Then I worked my butt off for the last six years and paid off all my bills so that today I'm debt free. My lady and I just bought a used pup (cash) and decided that's as fancy as we're going to get. We try to live as frugally as possible, but this seemed like a great way to continue camping now that we've got a one year old boy and decided that the expense was worth it.

My opinion is that the economy is going to get worse before it gets better. If you think the talking heads on the news and in DC are being truthful about the economy getting better I'd think again if I were you.

6. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

So far it hasn't, much. We have been blessed with stable good employment and we have always tried to live within our means once we dug ourselves out of CC and medical bill debt several years ago.

We are more anxious about our cross country trips knowing that in todays economy reality can hit our house over night just like it has for alot of people.

Overall though we are still travelling with our Hawke's Nest behind us and enjoying every second we can!

7. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

The economy has been down the toilet for a few years now. I said the heck with that, helped stimulate the economy in my own way.....

I bought a new pup last year. I'm doing my share.

8. BaylorWaylor

BaylorWaylor Member

Ours hasn't been moved at all this year, hopefully we'll be able to get out in early June

9. snoopytrooper

snoopytrooper New Member

I went from having stake every night to ground beef & hot dogs [:D]

10. EHirning

EHirning New Member

We've started looking at "dispersed" sites versus campgrounds that charge. One campground wanted $55 per night for our family. It's not a lot of money saving, but we have more freedom as to where to camp (and save a few bucks).

11. bsvirginian

bsvirginian New Member

[8D] [PU]
    That just means it's an election year to whoever wants to bite. As mentioned on another post I'm trying to gather enough experience to dry camp to save money.
    bsvirginian

12. wyndsongsue

wyndsongsue New Member

My "bad economy" started 5 years ago with lay off after lay off.

I've now been declared disabled - yeah I can collect but it's not much - I went through my retirement trying to find jobs.

I have a little 13 hour a week job and it is really tough to make ends meet. The oil bills just about robbed me of any extra $ to put away.

But, if I have to camp in my back yard, I'll do it. Just found out that I may have outdated tanks. Not sure what costs to replace them -

I have two campgrounds booked and I guess if I can't afford the new tanks, then I grill on the charcoal grill and use my old coleman grill.

13. aimblkjak21

aimblkjak21 New Member

I was downsized in July of 09. I started my own business out of my home writing resumes and doing career consulting as I was an HR manager and recruiter for 13 years. So I'm staying home with my 2 year old and still looking for full time work. Thankfully DH has a great job. We have cut back on pretty much everything. We had some big vacations planned that we cancelled and decided to purchase the PUP instead. We had to buy a lot this year to replace some of our tent gear but we will use it for years to come at least.

As a recruiter I can tell you that the economy may be improving but the real issue is the lack of jobs. Until positions are created and companies start to add people back the economy isn't going to make any real strides. All you can do is improve your skills and make yourself the most attractive canidate for specific positions you apply for. I talked to a friend/recruiter the other day and she got over 700 resumes for a Office Admin position the other day. It's crazy out there!

14. reddog06

reddog06 New Member

The economy has not hit us as bad as many. We bought the PUP, because the economy brought prices down. We love to camp, so we have not changed our habits. We like the state campgrounds , but are new to this PUP thing. The RV parks don't seem like camping when stacked that close.

15. yogi

yogi New Member

The Pup is fine, It's us that are hurting! [;)]

16. zjrog

zjrog Member

I know the pain of being laid off and had that happen twice in 4 years. The first time wasn't bad, I found a job the next day after finding out I was getting laid off. The second one, 2 years alter was tough. Always in the back of my mind as I continued to work for mil contractors since I retired from the Navy. I recently changed jobs because I wanted to, not had to. And believe the new found security will make this my last job. However, my wife was laid off last November and hasn't found anything to replace it. It doesn't help that before we moved here, she had a really good position, even though I couldn't find a job. Losing her income this time came at a bad time for us as we were working towards being debt free and that goal is now on hold.

But, camping season is closing in on us and we will camp whether the trailer is ready or not. Our daughter is home for the summer, and our son and new daughter in law are all planning on camping too.

17. edmonton_camper

edmonton_camper Loving it.

I for one am hurting badly and therefore my pup is also.
    The wife and I have always had great vacations costing up to 10,000 a summer.
    There is no way this year that will happen. I don't even see how we can take a vacation period.
    I don't even think I can take off the two weeks I have already booked off.
    Credit cards are maxed at this point just to pay the bills. I am two months behind on my cable bill (and no.. I do not live beyond my limits. The cable bill is $100 a month including phone/net/cable and the credit card has a $2500 limit)

I recently had to buy a new car (new to me, 2005 Hyundai) because the old one died and I drive for a living. I used to buy $500 junkers but that just isn't feasible.

I am a courier and I make commission so when the economy is down, my work is down.

Yes I am thankful I still have a job but a $1800 a month paycheck just is not cutting it.

The cost of living keeps going up and my income keeps going down.

It has to get better someday right?

18. bobjones1

bobjones1 New Member

look what the economy and my layoff did to my pup
    [​IMG]

19. jmullan99

jmullan99 New Member

We have not been struck by economic downturn as much as others. Canada was not affected as much as our U.S. friends. But the cost of living has still been rising faster than income.

The DW and I have always had a meager type lifestyle and still managed to get over our heads a bit. Over the last 4 years we have been paying off debt and not getting back into it. We never buy new. Cars are used, PUP was used. So we have reduced debt to just one thing, used car payment. Cannot avoid replacing already too old of a vehicle.

As for camping plans, there will be a couple less nights this year. I have been saving a bit for the last year or more for the new canvas plus two replacement lift arms, and that reduces (comes out of) the camping budget. I'm not comfortable staying in "free" or "uncontrolled" areas, so I typically have to pay $30+ per night in a campground.

John

20. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

Here it's so-so, I'm salary plus commission (which is down) and my wife is a teacher and just took a pay cut. The one good thing about where we live is the free camping. I live in NV and BLM owns most of the land so we just drive 1/2 in just about any direction and we can camp. Thankfully the pop up we have has a shower and toilet. The only cost is gas.