How high is high enough?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by FL_Bill, Nov 29, 2011.

1. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

When I got my pup and set it up in the driveway for the first time the door would not fasten all the way in. The top was not high enough and the hardware/fasteners were lose and I ended pulling them out in my effort to fasten (force)it in place. (IMD 2 of 5 screws were all that were holding it, and they were very lose to begin with.) After doing some repairs, I installed the doors upper hinge that lets it drop from the ceiling, back where it was originally installed. I noticed I really had to raise the top up really high to get it in place. I thought nothing of it, but a friend of mine who owns another pup was helping the last time we went camping and I told him to raise it more and he felt it was too tight/hard to crank up the final .5-1". Like we were over cranking it.

I do not want to damage my lift system. But at the same time I need to raise it pretty high to get the door in place. I guess I am asking any other Viking owners how hard are the final few cranks of the lift system?

Maybe non-viking owners have some advice as well?

I do not know what type of system it is, but mine has a brake winch up front and a set of pulleys under it the cable runs to. As you crank it up the pulleys get closer together and push some bars out and in turn raise the top. How strong are these?

I may just remount the door a little higher to make everything a little easier.

Thanks FL Bill

(will post pictures if I need too.)

2. 3pillons

3pillons Press hard, Five copies.

When I first got my used Viking, I thought I noticed the same issue. What I found was that the roof was actually raised up all the way, but slightly leaned towards the curb side and causing me to not get the door settled in properly. Once I started "squaring" the roof, it worked like a champ. It usually only took a little push and it would line up properly.

3. FL_Bill

I noticed a mild lean...and that sounds logical!

Thanks!

FL Bill

4. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

Fl Bill,
    On my viking there is a green cable near the front, door side, lifting post. It is there, simply, as a guage to let me know when the roof was up high enough. I crank it up just until that cable is fully extended not overly tight. That said, the last few clicks of the crank were a little difficult but I knew I wasn't going too high because of the guage cable. The hinge on my door was sometimes difficult to snap into place also and I too noticed, like 3pillion said, that if your roof is leaning slightly toward the door side to just nudge it back a little and that seemed to help getting the door in place.
    My brother had a dutchman pop up that didn't have the guage cable so we set his up once, to the necessary height, and made a mark with a permanent marker on the exposed bottom part of his lift post nearest the crank so that he could see when he had it up to the correct height.

5. 3pillons

3pillons Press hard, Five copies.

I also had the cable next to post closet to the crank except mine was on the rear. And I mis-spoke, my roof leaned to the road-side and had to be pushed back towards the curb-side, the side that the door was on.

6. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

Hi
    I have that green "guide-line" cable as well on mine. I just usually go by this as a gage, not overcranking, but making it tight enough that it wouldn't flap in the wind or "give"and never have any problem. When you attempt to drop your door into the lower section, be sure that you have not dropped down any stabilizers prior, and of course making sure it's level on all sides. It find it makes a huge difference on how easy the door assembles. I wonder if the crank system cables are too short or something?

7. austinado16

austinado16 Proud Starcraft Owner

With the camper level prior to activating the lift system, and the stabs not touching the ground, raise the roof fully and measure the roof's height at each corner. If the roof doesn't raise level, look up the owner's manual for your type of lift system and adjust the roof. Generally, the correct height for the roof, is the height at which the door fits into place without being forced, or shoving the roof upward, or having any gaps. So whatever that distance is, make the entire roof that height at all 4 corners.

I'm not familiar with your winch and lift system, but some systems have stops that keep the winch from lifting too far, as well as a stop that keeps the winch from undwinding too far. On these types of systems, if the "full height" stop is set "too soon"....for lack of a better term, The winch feels like it tops out, eventhough the roof could actually be raised even higher. Correcting these stops can be a further part of the solution, if your system uses something like that.

8. FL_Bill

Thanks for all the advice. Some good information so far! I want to cover a few points...

1) my unit does not have the green hight guage wire. My brother in-laws does, so I do know what you are talking about. And in the manual [RTM] it mentions this missing wire. Hmmm. [:(]

2) I see different people recommend different things for set up sequence. raise top, lower stabs vs lower stab, raise top. My manual says lower stabs then raise top. [?:~{] Am I going to harm anything by doing it the other way?

I was talking to the manufacture about a gap I had on the door frame and they told me it was caused by the bowing of the frame with the top raised and the stabs up... Oh the STRESS!! :)

I will take some measurment Like Austinado says. I will report back asap.

FL Bill

9. austinado16

austinado16 Proud Starcraft Owner

Go with what your manufacturer recommends.

10. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

From looking at your posts and at your profile, I gather you bought this camper used. Is there any remains of a steel cable (probably green) with an eyelet on it anywhere on the box of the camper? Or is there a screw hole where it looks like someone may have removed it? Someone may have overcranked the roof, broke it and removed it.

I saw a post on here a couple of years ago where someone showed their camper with this green wire hanging out the side. The sellers tried to tell them it was some kind of ground wire !! Me??? I just snug mine up. Also..... does the roof fit the box alright when it is down? My roof got "wracked" a little bit and I had to fix it my loosening the screws on the lift posts at the roof and wiggle it around (with help, of course) until it got back in the proper position.