How I got started using DO's

Discussion in 'Dutch Oven Cooking' started by Fish N Farm, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Active Member

Back in the early 90's I was big into Jeep Jamborees> And I went to the Pala Duro Jamboree just south of Amarillo The second day we were to meet and eat breakfast at a ranch on the rim of the canyon. there was 176 people there and these guys had a Frying pan that must have been 36 inches in dia. This teenage girl had both hands on the handle and leaning back on it to hold it while 2 others stirred the scrambled eggs, they had five of what looked to be 2 gallon pots to make cowboy coffee. But the biggest deal was they had 3 stacks 4 high of DO's that were had to be 24" I have never seen any that big since. They made biscuits in those and nothing was burned or over cooked. After breakfast we drove down a steep trail into the canyon and trail rode all day. That evening we met the cooking group at was probably an old line shack down in the canyon. Those folks cooked rib eyes for 176 people made to order and I did not hear one complaint. This time they had twice as many of those huge DOs. They made yeast rolls and peach cobbler. That was in September when I got back home I bought a 12" low side and started practicing. Deer season started the first weekend here in Texas and I had honed my biscuit making skills and was a big deal at the deer camp. The las 15 years I haven't did much DO cooking but now that we bought a PUP I am probably going to be a camp hog laying around and cooking.

If you can schedule your trip to be around Amarillo in the morning check those folks out. It is the Elkins Ranch and at one time they were cooking 270+ days a year. It is beautiful watching the sun rise in the east and start shining rays or light down into the canyon
    I was at a bass tournament here while back and they made Jumbilia in a cast iron 30 gallon pot. Not a Dutch oven but close. Of course you need to go see Cowboy Kent Rawlins cook at the Red River Ranch. Another thing that I did was go to some Chuck Wagon Cook's off. Those have been fun. Most of those are going to be in the western states.

https://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/c...bayou-classic-30-gallon-jambalaya-pot-ci-7430

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Now THAT is a pot!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Wow, that pot has got to weigh a ton. It sounds like an awesome time. There are some Dutch oven gatherings that I have attended with a number of people cooking, eating and just overal talking and having fun on the east coast. The National DOG (Dutch oven gathering) was going to be held in Oct in TX this year, but sadly we had to cancel due to COVID. It is now going to be held on 10/7/21 at the Mineola Civic Center in Mineola, TX. May not be as exciting as the other events you attended, but there’s bound to be some great food and lots of black pots.

4. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Active Member

All events where people are having fun and relaxing are great. The cowboy morning deal wasn't all that fun so to speak it was a great learning experience for me. They had no charcoal. They had a long fire pit full of mesquite that made the coals in and just threw all the lids in it to heat them up. I never read the instructions when I got my first oven and just did what I saw them do. Several years later I was looking for a recipe on the internet and saw all this count the briquets which I do know. That's not Bad from here proly 300 from here (proly is a word I learned from an Okie) that is close enough to go to for me. We might give that a spin.
    I have been to 2 chuck wagon cook offs. Collège Station TX and Llano Tx. Had a great time at both. Both of those sold beer and it was big time for all. The one in College Station was in the fall and was during their Frontier Days festival. They had a blacksmith shop there and I got some campfire tools, and a leather shop that were making things right there. The best part was the chuck wagon band. Being a little and a natural born smart A. I ask them if they could play the theme song to Rawhide. They did not have to break out their cheat shits or anything they just broke out and let it rip. I was amazed the crowd went wild and they played it again. I am going to try one of them DOGS and the rest of you folks try a Chuck Wagon Cook off. And we will meat (pun) back here.They cook biscuits and beans in DO's. I must caution you that better like Chicken Fried steaks because that is the only meat they cook. The meat is furnished by the association they claim to keep every thing the same in the beginning.

http://americanchuckwagon.org/chuck-wagon-events.html

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    HappyTraveler likes this.
  5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I never owned a dutch oven until my son joined scouts. With cub scouts the DO were used mainly to make cobblers for Saturday dinner desert. Simple dump cobblers - 2 cans of pie filling, butter, cake mix and a can of sprite. They would usually make a couple different varieties depending on how many families wer camping.

I hate fruit pies and cobblers, always have. So I decided if I was going to keep doing these I was going to come up with a non-fruit cobbler that I liked. That meant I needed my own DO, and now I have 3!

Finally perfected the gooey butter cobbler. Think St. Louis style goooey butter cake and that is pretty close to what I make. Thing is a guaranteed sugar bomb, but there has never been a campout yet where I have had some left in the DO.

My son andd I have since expanded to doing biscuits, seasoned potatoes and we are going to start giving pizza a try once it gets cooler. It has been too damn hot this summer for us to do anything, I am usually dripping after doing BBQ for dinner these days.

neighbormike likes this.
  6. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Joanne, the East Coast DOG, is held every September at Codurus State park in Central PA, this year it,s cancelled due to covid, However, the National DOG will be held in Texas again in 2021, and then it comes back to PA at Codurus in 2022. we also are already planning the Raccoon DOG, every Spring at Raccoon Creek State Park in Western PA April 30-May 2 2021. hope to see you at both.