How Large of a Campground Space Do You Take?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by ValleyRider, Apr 9, 2019.

1. ValleyRider

ValleyRider New Member

Okay, I'm taking the family (myself, GF, two kids) for our first trip to a campground in our N2U pop up. It's a little thing; 17 feet when set up, with a modest size TV (Nissan Xterra). We're camping at a state park next weekend, with plenty of open sites still, ranging from 20 feet to 50 ft.

Wondering, what's the campsite etiquette for selecting a space? With the kids, obviously like as much space as possible, but also respect that some big trailers might need those 50-foot spaced for things other than kids playing with dump trucks.

Thinking a 30-foot spot would be a nice blend of space, while leaving the big spots for huge RVs. Is that right? Or am I being greedy? Would my camper and TV even fit in a standard 20-foot spot? Will someone secretly let the air out of my tires and pee in my cooler at night if I take a larger site?

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I take whichever one I like best

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

^^ That's what I was thinking... I have my favorite sites and also know which ones I will not stay in. I reserve in advance and pay the same fee as anyone else whether bigger or smaller.

durhamcamper and kcsa75 like this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I mainly stick with 30’ but choose what works for you and yours. I purposely look for wider sites vrs narrow and sites that are more away from activities. Every one has their own desires and likes that comes to campsites. With my dogs, I try to keep to wider sites so they are out from under feet but away from the road. Even better if the campsite backs up to trees. I chose a pull through site once not because I had a big unit but for the fact the door was facing the woods. It was great being able to spread out. When I first started camping I requested pull throughs as I was still very unsure about the backing up into a tight driveway.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I general take the closest size to the size of trailer.. set up it's 25ft box.. so at minimum I'm taking a 30ft site.. Now that does change if I am camping at a campground I camped at previously and I have checked out other sites.. I just may take a 20ft site knowing it is plenty big enough..

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

In general, we try to get a site that is the length of the camper (opened) + TV + a fudge factor, so we can walk between the TV and camper. We've camped long enough to (usually) interpret site lengths to get the length we need; we also have other criteria we tend to follow. For KOA, where they assign campsites, I have listed both of the pups and now our small TT as a couple of feet longer than actual length. I began doing that after finding I had barely enough space to fit both the vehicle and camper in the site assigned.
    We look at the site specifications if available, campsitephotos.com, etc.

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Our pup opened is 24 feet, plus our TV so having a site about that will accommodate both vehicles we are happy with. But, there are times we made a reservation and they gave us a site for a class A. We had such a site at the Mercer/Groove City KOA. It was 70 feet long!! It was kind of funny to see it! When we are able we will usually choose a 40 foot site if we are there for a week. That gives us plenty of room to move around.

8. rexlxg

rexlxg Member

I always try to book my favorite sites, which happen to be larger sites, without regard to whether or not someone else might want or need that site.
    Here in Florida, most all sites are hard to snag from November thru April which is my main camping season. so if I can get my favorite site I book it.
    11 months in advance almost always.

9. ValleyRider

ValleyRider New Member

Thanks for the great tips, everyone. Nabbed myself a 30-foot-site and stoked for the family's first campground trip. I'll post afterword to let you know it went!

neighbormike, kcsa75 and jmkay1 like this.
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

.Good luck. I hope everything goes as planned for you. If not...take heart, the first few trips always have a few bumps until things smooth over.

11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I think there's "bumps" no matter how many trips under the belt! :smiley:

12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I pick my campsites first by the minimum length. Then by my preferred features. I haven't worried that it is too long.

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Have a great trip! Sometimes those bumps creates memories!!

14. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

We camp at state campgrounds in NYS. The sites are already laid out so it takes that out of the equation. I also have my favorites so I try to get them. If I can't, I'll get a site I know will suit my needs. The only time we got a spot we didn't really want or even fit in to was a KOA where we were given the site by the management.