How late do you stay up?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by firepit, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I see groups that stay up late. Single families not so much. Myself I never have a campfire as it just doesn't interest me. I will retire by 10 or 11, but may not go to sleep for an hour or two. If I happen to be gaming I can run till 3 or 4 sometimes, but then my body pays for it over the next two days. I usually sleep in while camping as well. Breakfast for me often starts around 9 or so.

cyclop5 likes this.
  2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

This is me. Where we camp most of the time we can get one of those .3 channels that shows old TV shows. The highlight for me is two episodes of Hill Street Blues in a row beginning at 11 p.m. on Saturday night.

neighbormike and xxxapache like this.
  3. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Depends on how much Jose Cuervo is left in the bottle...not really...a run & gun lifestyle for many years makes it hard for me to hit the hay early; used to head out to fish & come back in after daybreak, sack out for maybe 4 hrs then repeat, but now usually crash by 11-12 pm & get up bout 5 am to head out...wife on the other hand is dang nigh falling outta her chair when she hears the 1st cricket chirp at twilight, so I let her sleep by the fire as I snap pics of her & post 'em on her Farcebook page [SNZ]

4. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

We're the same way, whether we're camping or just here at home.
    We've always been this way, sun goes down, we're right behind it heading to bed. But then, we're also up early (with the sun) and then busy all day doing things, so kind of tired come nightfall.
    When I REALLY noticed this was our last winter of tent camping and we were at a TX SP. We'd enjoy the beautiful sunsets over the lake usually about 7:30pm, then within minutes we'd be heading to bed and sound asleep before our heads hit the pillow. We'd wake up about 6am and would be enjoying our coffee while watching the sun rise.
    Retirement is great and have to wonder if that's where the term came from?
    Good times!

5. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

I'm up every morning between 4:30-5:00... no alarm clock... body clock... regardless of what time I hit the sack.

DW usually heads in around 10:00... these days, I'll make it to midnight...

This past summer we spent a week at Poe Valley/Poe Paddy in Pensylvania... I ordered a half cord of wood to be delivered... at the end of the week we still had a 1/4 cord, PLUS, left... first trip WITHOUT our Teen Boys... ah, those were the days... stokin' the fire till 3:00 AM... not a care in the world

Happy Trails!

6. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

For me, it's up early, play hard (fishing, hunting, etc) have a cocktail or two with dinner, and start heading towards bed around 9pm or so. Repeat. Most of our fishing is 5:30-6:00am go-time with an average of 12 hours on the water. Depending on the sea state, that can either tire you, or wipe you out totally.

We have fires occasionally, but I'm more of a fan of portable lodging, not "camping". I bring my apartment with me so I can be close to the thing I want to do. If I was at a hotel, I would probably have a drink in the bar, grab dinner, maybe walk around a bit, watch some TV, then go to bed anyway. I wouldn't sit in the lobby and wave at folks as they went in and out of the hotel while I played cards with my DW.

Yup, I'm one of the ones inside around 9pm, fire out (pretty easy, since it's just turning a knob full clockwise), TV on falling asleep. I'm also the one walking around the CG at 4:30am waiting for the day's activities and checking gear.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have always worked some part of the night, whether it was until 1 or 2 am, or starting at 4am and for 23 of the past 24 years I have worked straight nights, the last 5 years on a 12 hour shift, so sleeping at 1pm isnt out of the ordinary for me..however I do try to live like a normal person on my days off, excluding my mondays and fridays that can see a day of 30hrs or more just to switch back and forth...

neighbormike likes this.
  8. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I work now as a tractor trailer driver overnights 1820 to 0500. If I’m weekend camping I stay up on Friday off 28 hours. Setup up pup and pass out by 8 pm Friday night. Kids gotta be in camper when I’m sleeping

9. Old School Rob

Old School Rob Member

Weather it is just the two of us, or if we are with a group, we are up around the fire until 12 or 1. Nothing beats a cocktail or glass of wine around a fire with loved ones.

10. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

We're usually inside by 9 and playing games or reading. Since I stopped backpacking and now spend so much time in campgrounds I'm noticing the full timer folks. If you are living in your RV full time watching TV seems like a normal thing to do compared to people vacationing or getting away for a weekend.

HappyTraveler and Toni Arnold like this.
  11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Yep. I try to remember that when I'm around fulltimers. I may be on vacation, but they are just living their lives. So their going in to watch tv in the evening is no different than when I do it at home.

12. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I overheard a couple next to us this morning mention they are full timers. I did a double take because they were in an Aliner Classic. Talk about simplistic living.

13. Toedtoes

There are a lot of couples fulltiming in vans. On rvnet, you'll here a lot of older fulltimers state that you have to get the biggest rv possible to successfully fulltime. But I think it's due to prior lifestyles - if you spent 20 years in a large 4 bedroom home after the kids left home, then more space may be important. If you are young folks coming from rented apartments with 3-4 roommates, an aliner will look downright spacious.

southern gal and grandpa mikey like this.
  14. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

My wife and I have been discussing full time use and what is the minimum we need. A full time bed, couch, and kitchen table are at the top of the list and eliminate most anything under 25 feet. Four feet minimum of counter space and "big enough" bathroom pushes that to 27 to 29 feet. Ideally it should be towable with a 1/2 ton truck.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  15. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

I work very long days and have few days off. Due to this, I tend to be in bed by 9 or 10 at the latest, even when camping. When I was younger, I stayed up much later.

HappyTraveler and neighbormike like this.
  16. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

When the kids were young I used to smoke my cigar by the fire after I cleaned up and they went to bed and we would come in around 12/1.

Now that they’re older, the wife hangs out with me instead of having an hour in the camper putting them to bed and we’re usually in by 11:30 and my cigar happens 7:30/8 am before everyone wakes up.

Morning cigars with coffee seem to suite me better than evening cigars with scotch when camping.

grandpa mikey and neighbormike like this.
  17. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

We've never camped in a campground that allowed full timers. 99+% of our camping is at state, regional (county), and national parks. Honestly now that I think about it, I think only one campground since we have had our pup was not in that category, and that was the Mt. Rushmore KOA which also doesn't have seasonals.

18. Toedtoes

Not all fulltimers are seasonals. Many move around staying at state and federal campgrounds according to the policies (eg, max two weeks per campground).

southern gal and HappyTraveler like this.
  19. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

Good point.

20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We go to bed around 9-9:30 at home, so retiring early while camping isn't unusual. Last week, we had lights out by 9 most nights. I read until 9:30 one night while Courtenay was off on a backpack. Since it was dark around 6 p.m., he was in bed really early on his backpack. We have never had a wood campfire (in 31 seasons), and didn't even take our propane one on our 2 trips this year, so no sitting outside around that until late either.
    We've found that sleeping hours can vary from place to place. At Grand Canyon, there may be (at least in normal years, when the campground is full) some sitting up late, but there are many up and on the move by 4 a.m. or so. Even this year, when the campground was 25% full or less, there were people getting up and heading toward the trails or road early. One of the first nights, was the annoying site that was making loud (& bad) music until late, not great.