How long can/should a pop up be left popped up?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by MsMac, Oct 23, 2017.

1. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

This may be a really silly question, but it's going to bother me unless I ask it.

Our pop up is currently in the garage, door closed, with her roof up all the way, stabs/door down and bunk braces in place. (Essentially, all she needs is the canvas on the bunk ends to be put up in order to be fully set up.) My partner needs to do some work on her, and well, some of you all may be able to relate to the thought that if she's already set up, that's one less excuse to not get things done. :)

So, question: is there any reason why she shouldn't be left like this for an extended time? For everything to be done, it could be a couple of months, realistically.

Thanks!

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Indoors, I can't think of a reason that you can't keep it up indefinitely. Some will say it's taxing the lift system, yadda yadda. I think it's not going to stress out a lift system in good condition to any significant degree... the actual lifting is what stresses it.

3. world traveler

world traveler Member

Ours mostly stay partially lifted in the garage so there's air circulation.

4. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

I think the biggest reason to not to leave a PUP up outdoors is how the UV affects the canvas. Being indoors it should be a problem.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I agree no problem about leaving it up indoors. However if you have mice living in your garage then it could be easier for them to get inside An open pop up. However if your constantly in/out I don't think you need to worry.

6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I think that mice will do less damage to an open popup. Mice damage is usually the mice making a nest in the folded up canvas.

7. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Mice would be my worry. If the camper is tight ther's less chance of them nawing I would think. 6 of one half dozen of the other. If it sets for any length of time unattended half open the little peckerwoods will have at it. I believe more so in the cold climes

8. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

I guess if left open and plugged into an AC outlet you could plug in one of these.

47658E9E-0CC3-4C15-9C18-0D8538E65F84.jpeg

9. alloffroad

alloffroad Member

I leave mine at least partially up during the summer months, in the garage. Last summer a mouse got in and destroyed a roll of tp. But nothing else.