How long Deep Cycle battery will last?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Ctniners, May 18, 2014.

1. Ctniners

Ctniners New Member

Thanks....I think I miss-spoke, When I said 30 Amps, I was just giving the specs of the hybrid, the 30 Amp was it uses for electricity.

2. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

most tow vehicles will only trickle charge the trailer battery.
    so don't expect it to recharge it much, especially if it's really low.
    connecting the trailer to the tow vehicle is really to top off an already nearly full battery.
    unless you're driving 4-6 hours.

3. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

We just got back from a 3 night trip. We used battery only. Using the water pump for 2 dish washing's a day, a couple of hair washings via the outside shower, radio for 2 hours each night, led awning light 2 hours once, range hood for 25 minutes, furnace for 20 minutes, roof fan off and on(not sure), slide out deployed and retracted, awning deployed and retracted, Water heater and fridge and sensors were all on. I had enough power to retract slide and awning and use electric tounge jack but batter y was at 30%. So if I was more frugal about water usage, and no furnace, no led awning light and no radio I am pretty sure I could get 4 nights for sure and maybe 5 out of it. I have a spare group 24 just in case.

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

FYI, you should not discharge your battery below 50% which is roughly 12.1 volts

5. Davylee

Yea, you would think I would remember that. [A] But old age got me, and worse I had another ready to go. Oh well, once I get the other battery to match the new one I bought last week they will be in parallel. And I will have a spare in case my group of batteries gets below 50%

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

what's magic about 50%, why not 70%

Trojan tells us this

Discharging batteries is entirely a function of your particular application.

However, below is list of helpful items:

Shallow discharges will result in a longer battery life.
    50% (or less) discharges are recommended.
    80% discharge is the maximum safe discharge.
    Do not fully discharge flooded batteries (80% or more). This will damage (or kill) the battery.
    Many experts recommend operating batteries only between the 50% to 85% of full charge range. A periodic equalization charge is a must when using this practice.
    Do not leave batteries deeply discharged for any length of time.
    Lead acid batteries do not develop a memory and do not need to be fully discharged before recharging.
    Batteries should be charged after each period of use.
    Batteries that charge up but cannot support a load are most likely bad and should be tested. Refer to the Testing section for proper procedure.

7. Davylee

While I don't have a Trojan battery I would agree with you. I did read where a Hybrid Marine/RV battery should not discharge below 50% on a regular basis as it might damage or shorten the life of the battery. At the end of the 3 days I had used the battery I was using the monitor panel which said 33% however the voltage was 11.95 so I was at more like 45% and that was right after disconnecting the load from the battery. I feel comfortable with that and wouldn't in the future discharge beyond that. Thanks for the information.

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

If all you are running is the lights and pump 4+ days. If you convert the lights to LED you should be able to go about 7 to 10 days.

9. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Last year we stayed in the Mammoth Cave Campground without hookups for 7 days. We used the water pump sparingly and carried in water from the bath house several times. But we used the lights (all led) throughout the week. When it was time to pack up, I had to hook up the TV in order to move the slide in and retract the awning. This was with a 1 year old type 29 battery from Walmart. I likely did some damage draining it that low, but can't change that now.