How long do you run your A/C?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by 4U2NV, May 27, 2010.

1. 4U2NV

4U2NV Back from the darkside!

We are leaving for our Memorial Day weekend trip and the temps. have been in the lower 90's during the dat and mid 70's at night. As the title says, How long do you run your A/C? All day long wheither your in it or not. Only when your in it. (napping) Only at night. And any insight as to why would be very appricated.

2. bpolwort

bpolwort Member

I only run mine during the day when I am going to be in it. If you have popup gizmos they really make the PUP stay cooler. It can be pretty hot and if I fire up the AC the PUP will be good in 15 minutes or so. It really helps if you can get a campsite with some shade too. Some people leave thier AC units running all day, but I usually choose not too as I don't want to run mine that hard. Keep in mind that if you do run it all day you will most likely have to change the filter every day or two. Just my thoughts, hope this helps.

3. bpolwort

bpolwort Member

I guess I should also mention that we do run the AC at night.

4. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

If it's hot we run it all day. I don't think however there was ever a time when we needed to run it at night while sleeping.

Once the sun goes down and you crack (well unzip) the windows it can be quite comfortable. At least here in WI.

5. Orion

Orion Member

The summers in western Ky are sticky from the humidity. AC running is a must at night in order to stay dry. If you don't run it the sweat you create will still be with you till you shower. :(

Orion

6. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

I run mine until the DD and DW tell me I can turn it off... [:D]

7. Csea

Csea New Member

Wow AC in a camper.... what a luxury. [LOL]
    I think next year its time to upgrade.

8. turtle

turtle New Member

The DW likes it to stay cool so it runs as long as needed. If she thinks it's going to get hot while we're out it stays on.

9. 4U2NV

Thanks for the replies.. Running it at night is a guarntee. Its too hot and muggy to try and sleep without it. I guess my plan is to only run it during the day if we are actually in the pup. If we leave for an outing i'll cut it off and open up the windows.

10. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

During the day, when we're leaving, we turn the AC thermostat back a bit, and turn the blower to low - just to keep the air circulating within the camper and have the temp almost in the comfort zone for when we return.

At night it is generally on running on low. So nice to be comfortable when sleeping.

11. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

Hello 4U2NV from a fellow Texan! We run our A/C when we're in and around camp, but if we're going to be going for a couple of hours we turn it off. We have the popup gizmos and they do seem to help reflect the heat off the bunkends. At night we'll cool down the pup good and then turn the A/C to fan and run the bunkend fans to circulate the (often steamy air) that way we don't freeze it up when it's really humid. Where you camping this weekend? We're caming at Ratcliff Lake Recreation Area.

12. 4U2NV

Choke Canyon SP. Never been there so it will be an adventure.

13. Chewie48

Chewie48 New Member

If the weather is hot and humid which is often in the summers of Ohio, we run the air all the time. I like it on at night not only to stay cool but to drown out the campground noises for better sleep.

14. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I run mine nearly all the time. I've even ran the AC and a space heater together. Last summer we sat for 3 days in the rain. It was so damp that everything would have gotten wet in the camper without it. However, the air temp outside was only in the 60's, so the AC compressor wouldn't be running and drying out the air. I used the heater to warm the camper up to make the AC compressor run.