How long does a full propane tank last

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by bearair, May 29, 2009.

1. bearair

bearair New Member

I've been wondering how long a Propane tank will last if I'm just running the fridge, and cooking, and how much of a difference would it make if I ran the water heater. I'm concerned about running the water heater because of the pilot light seems to be rather large.

Thanks
    Colman/Fleetwood Bayside

2. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

We just do the 2 or 3 day weekend camping and I just run the water heater ,and a tank will last me all season(30-35 nights) , and start the next year.

3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Running the water heater and cooking (but not the fridge), I can go over a week on a single 20 lbs tank.

4. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Running the furnace, stove, and RVQ I can go most of the season. Depending on the weather and if I have electric to run a ceramic heater. (Why freeze? That's one of the reasons I got a pup - the furnace!) I camp at least one weekend a month April - November in Michigan and Indiana

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

The furnace will use more than the stove (unless you're into cooking banquets), the water heater or the fridge. I run my fridge on propane 100% of the time (except the pre-trip overnight cool-down, which uses AC from the house).

If you're just doing some light cooking, running the fridge and the water heater for washing hands/face and dishes you can probably last all season on a 20# tank. OTOH, if you have a family of five who all like long showers and if it's really cold and you run the furnace very much you could drop that to a few days.

6. gkosel

gkosel Fargo, ND (Next Trip - ?)

Your Furnace will be your big propane hog!

Fridge and water heater do not use that much and your RVQ will use about as much as your home grill.

I run my water heater from the time I set up camp to just before I leave every trip. I am not sure how big your pilot light is, but mine is not that big and uses next to nothing as far as propane goes.

I ran all last year on one propane tank and had to switch to my secondary tank on my last trip of the year. It was so stupid. I have an automatic changeover regulator that will automatically switch over to my secondary tank when the first one is empty. But I forgot to open the valves on both tanks. So, I ended up going out in the middle of a cold night to automatically flip my changeover switch and open the valve on my other tank.

I am starting to wish that I would have pushed for the second battery instead of the extra propane tank when I bought my camper.

7. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

With just using the water heater, range, my tank has lasted all season. But, if the furnace gets used, I will run through a tank of propane in about 23 hours of furnace use.

8. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

It also depends on how much hot water you use. We use a lot of hot water to wash dishes because we have a big family. That uses more propane but it still lasts at least half a season, until it gets cold and the furnace goes on regularly or constantly. Then propane burns up fast. In cold weather I try to get an electric site and use the ceramic heater to supplement the propane.