How Long Does It Take You - Set Up/Take Down

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by skiball, Jul 16, 2014.

1. skiball

skiball New Member

I have found that when setting up by my self, it takes me considerably less time than when DW and I do it together. Sorry Dear, but it's just that way...
    Either way, it takes forever. Yes, we have some extra items like, PUG's, Reflectix in the windows, Awning Mat, Oh ya - Satelite Dish (10 minutes). Then there's the little things like loading the fridge, making the bed and bringing in luggage. Even with the extras, it should only add 1/2 hour or so but it takes us hours to set up. During a recent rally (we went 1 day early because it takes us so long) I found that it takes everyone else about one third the time it takes us.
    Then thare is the take down... After the rally, everyone else had said their good-byes and pulled out, we still had 2 hours of packing up to do.
    Oh, don't get me wrong... I'll admit that my OCD adds some time to everything. (Everything must be done a certain way, every time) but it shouldn't be this way.
    Just wondering... How long does it take the rest of you?

2. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

It depends on the trip. Long trips in one place takes about 3.5 hours or more, it takes 35 min to load the motorcycles. Short trips, weekend, about 1 hr including cleaning up.

3. Bando

Bando Is it the weekend yet?

Usually takes the two of us about 30 minutes......but this last trip in the mosquito swarms of the lakes country of Ontario, we discovered we could do it in about 15! (We didn't bother with the awning!)

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

Usually less than 30 minutes each. I do agree that if the DW gets involved with setup (other than bedding) it could double. Case in point: several weeks ago, we camped at Steamboat Lake State Park. When we pulled in, our friends were next to us and my wife and the other gal, started setting up the canvas, etc. before we were level. I tried to put the door in place, and of course, it wouldn't go. They got me out of my routine: level front to back, side to side, stab's down and then canvas up. It took another 30 minutes or more to get things level, etc. Get into a routine and stick with it!

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I always do it the setup and tear down alone, even when DW comes along. I have my routine and places for everything. Actually setting up the trailer (put up shells and set up wardrobe, bathroom walls and cabinets inside) or tearing it down takes about 8.5 minutes. If you count backing in, leveling and then putting out stuff like the coffee pot, etc., then the total is about 40 minutes -- same for tear down. I don't use the awning or awning mat very often. When I do that's another ten minutes or so. I travel light, not hauling a lot of extra stuff. This is because I love the long tour trips where I move every few days and sometimes just do overnights while enroute to my next destination. But, this habit has carried over to my local out-and-back single-stop trips too. When camping simpler is easier.

6. zjrog

zjrog Member

Last weekend, first time setting up a rented Flagstaff 227 (unknown year), took me about 25 minutes total, a bit less to take it down. I will admit to futzing with the awning poles later, after it was set up.

7. ladypro

ladypro New Member

Setting up takes me about 45 minutes to an hour, depending if the awning comes down or not (along with mat and patio lights). Take down is 30-45 minutes and much easier physically. I agree with UT- simpler is easier. I also learned that I don't need as much stuff, esp. on short trips. My motto is "less is more"- more time to relax and have fun when you have less stuff to set up and fool with. [:)C]

8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

The fact that you're bringing along a Sat. dish tells me that you're probably bringing a whole lot more stuff than many of us. We can get all the basics up in a half hour or so... For the rest I just piddle away at it for the remainder of the first evening as does my wife (e.g. making beds). Even our first trip with the pup we were totally set up within 45 minutes, and that included me trying to figure out the awning for the first time.

9. jjg

jjg Member

I probably take longer than most. I take my time and enjoy it. When I set up I like to get everything set up and then be done with it, I dont want to be messing around with something later in the day. I like everything to be in its place, inside and outside the camper. So it usually take about 1.5 to 2 hours. I'm getting quicker and found that if I get things organized before we leave, it saves time at the campground.

10. sswon1

sswon1 New Member

About half an hour max for set up and tear down. We keep everything in the pup except our clothes, bed linen goes in a hamper that's thrown in the car. After beds are made dirty clothes go in the hamper. When it's time to go home, sheets and towels go in hamper and blankets get washed about every third trip. Takes about 10 min to put everything away then we start the fold down. I try to keep the camper clean so when it's time to go its easy. By keeping everything we need in the pup helps so much!! My husband and I always work together and we work well.

11. tika56

tika56 Member

Well, if you don't include the time it takes to back into a site...My sister and I camp together and have been out about 5 times, and each time something has gone wrong (like the door not fitting) but we are getting better at problem solving and figuring out who does what and last time I think it was about 30 minutes to break down. She does a lot of the inside stuff, while I do most of the outside stuff.

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I think having a small pup, which means we end us squirreling things away in corners, etc, in both the pup and TV, add time to set up and take down. For instance, I cannot put the shepherd's pole up in the back bunk until I move the dinette back cushions, the support rails (we don't use the original table) and some of the items that are transported in that spot.
    We try to keep things simple, but "simple" to one person is "too much" to someone else.

I/we can do a basic set up in probably an hour, including backing in and getting the pup so it can be lived in. Add extra time for shade/rain structure, which can be very important for us in some campsites, patio rug; the awning is only used if DH is on the trip.

Take down, from getting up to pulling out, seems to take about 2 hours. That hasn't really changed since we added the Thule rooftop cargo box in the mid-90s, still ground camping. [The cargo box took about 45 minutes off packing time.]

If pushed, we can do either set up/take down a bit faster, but we prefer to not rush. If it is hot, we may even slow down. On a solo trip, I take my time if it is hot. At any time, I have to be careful not to tweak my back, which is another reason for us not to rush.

13. jwillis54

jwillis54 New Member

Takes me about an hour...then more time to back up and hitch by myself!

14. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Since virtually all of our camp outings are weekends, and we don't usually even leave the house until 5pm, I sure wouldn't want to be setting up for 2 or 3 hours on a Friday night, then tearing down for 2 or 3 hours on a Sunday. I actually kind of like setup and tear down, it's part of the "camping experience" to me, but that's not the reason I go camping lol.

If you've seen my story in the "Rules for keys" thread I posted on Sunday, you'll know our last tear-down took much, much longer than it should have (maybe 2 hours). Sigh.... [:)C]

15. skysummit

skysummit Member

I can have ours popped up and ready to go within 20 minutes, including the shelving over the galley. It's all the other setting up that takes a while....putting food up, getting the beds made, setting up the outdoor kitchen, etc. Within 1 hour, it's all ready to go, however, and I'm sitting with a cold beer in hand.

16. jwillis54

jwillis54 New Member

nice! something about a cold beer after setup!

17. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Im all over the place and since not every trip is not loaded the same it is hard to put a time and depending on which pup I am using the time changes. I generally take my time either way. I am never in a hurry and I rather do it myself. When DW starts complaining I let her set up the outside stuff. When for the take down I have learn to pack everything I can before hand so usually take down is way faster. I think my record is with the coleman which has to take me no more than 20 minutes.

18. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

Just the basics or by myself it takes about 30 minutes. If I have the entire family it takes about 45-60 minutes since I have to stop every 5 minutes to help the kids with something. And I'm ok with that since this is something I would them to remember with a smile.

19. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

Just the basics or by myself it takes about 30 minutes. If I have the entire family it takes about 45-60 minutes since I have to stop every 5 minutes to help the kids with something. And I'm ok with that since this is something I would them to remember with a smile.