How Long Does It Take You - Set Up/Take Down

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by skiball, Jul 16, 2014.

1. froggie

froggie New Member

Set up is usually 20-30 minutes. We make our beds before we leave the house. Take down is longer depending on how much stuff we brought. I like to clean as I take down so it's not so overwhelming when we get home. Packing up after our 9 day beach trip took a good while. Packing kayaks, bikes, air mattresses, etc. takes time. Well worth it, though. [SUN]

2. mocamper

mocamper Active Member

It takes us 45-60 minutes. We don't hurry.

3. Carmel-ized

Carmel-ized New Member

Setup, for us, takes under 10 minutes to get the trailer fully setup. However, that's just the beginning.

I'm hopeful that we have recently changed our overall setup time to a fraction of the usual. Last time we setup, it took us HOURS! We had a complicated kitchen tent, had to dig our kitchen ware out from where it was stored in various places in the trailer for travel, had another separate tent to be erected for the dining area. We tarp everything so that certainly adds additional time. (Why do I tarp? Because I like my canvas to not be covered in tree sap as our tents have been in the past while camping in our favourite treed camp site locations).

However, this time, it will be different! (Damnit!). :)

I have acquired two easy up screen tents -- one for kitchen, one for dining. I have created a kitchen "chuck box" to make the kitchen area simpler to set up. My organization of the trailer last time around simplified the location of things we need to do straight away (basically, as you encounter an item in the tent trailer, it tells you what is to be setup next! Hopefully this will arrest the feeling that I need to change my name during setup and teardown!).

My camp kitchen will likely take the most time due to an unresolved storage/setup issue with my cookware. I'll be working on that project next...

I will time Monday's setup, piece by piece...

I long for a short journey where I don't feel compelled to do the entire campsite up with its own area. Someday, I will get it down to levelling up, popping up, throwing the chairs out and starting the fire...

Teardown was even worse in the past. Last trip, we started the afternoon before... it was exhausting. This time, we should be ready to roll out in under an hour. That is, if things go as planned. I'll update this post in a ten days or so if I remember :)

4. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

5. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

Setup isn't too bad... probably an hour or a bit more with all of the stuff we bring. However teardown takes forever... By that time I've had so many things out of the trailer, the toys/bikes are all over the site and it just takes a lot of time to get it all packed and ready to go.

6. woodsman1st

woodsman1st An outdoorsman of 78 years no exp w/ pop up trlrs

Oh My God!
    Satilite dish;
    Micro Wave';
    X Box;
    Crockpot;
    Television Set;
    Games for TV;
    Movies for when TV reception is bad; (Horrors what will we do).
    Air Conditioner;
    Electric coffee pot,
    frying pan,
    can opener,
    tacky lights???
    two Whazits and a Hoozits or two.

Unless you need something due to health concerns; if you see yourself in the above list, your not camping out; your moving into your summer home with a view. lol

7. Spirit Deer

Spirit Deer New Member

About 31 seconds here, too, but in real time. That's if you're just counting actually putting up the trailer and everything inside. If you add in everything every trailer needs like cranking down stabs, setting out the gray water tank, unhitching, etc, then it's probably about another ten minutes or so without the awning. Awning takes another ten, but we don't use it much because we do so many overnight stops.

8. egapylime

egapylime Member

We are getting faster. However, DH has terrible ADD and if he tries to help it takes 3 times as long. Set up for this last trip took about an hour. Tear down is tonight so I'll report back.

We've only used it three times. This trip was suppose to be a 3 night trip, but we extended another 3 nights because we've had so much fun. I've been having to drive 40 minutes each way back and forth for work daily, but doesn't bother me too much. If we could figure out a way to haul our bikes easier (and cheaply!) it would cut down on time significantly.

9. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Camping means different things to different people.

10. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

If I'm not wiping sweat from my head and neck every 3-4 minutes I can have it set up in about 20-30 minutes max. Now that doesn't include the outside "EZ-Up" canopy but like some of you I'm faster if the DW takes the DD's to the restroom or playground. Once I'm parked the clock is ticking and with a several trips under our belt that's the average.

11. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

It depends on whether or not we're dry camping or not.

Dry camping takes two hours from the time I drop the camper until I'm sitting in my lawn chair with a icy cold coke.

Setup takes 45 minutes on a fully serviced site.

Truthfully, I can do the basic setup in under an hour but most time is consumed just toting luggage for the DD and niece who pack as though they're moving across the country.

12. skirk55

skirk55 New Member

We have a Flagstaff 246D Mac. It takes us 25 - 30 min. We are on the road for 2 more weeks. The first two times were a mess. After the 3 - 4 time much better. We put the stuff we need in totes and not use the small doors with keys. we had to set up in one bad rain storm and everything was dry.

13. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

I guess I am a bit unusual. I do the initial setup; level, stabs, unroll the awning and the slides, electric, put it up and set the door, fill the toilet and water, etc. Then later I will put up tacky lights. Wife does the clean inside while I put the shelves/hanging baskets up for plates, napkins, etc.

I just take my time and we take a break every once in a while to just relax.

On the times I set up by myself, it takes me about 30 min total to set up but again, no tacky lights.

Takedown is a bit longer because I like to have things just so in the storage so it is easier the next time I put up.

I really don't worry about the time. Relaxation is what it is all about.

14. davido

davido Active Member

For me, set-up is done when the following has happened:

TV is unhooked.
    We are level.
    Canvass is up.
    Stabilizers are down.
    Door is installed.
    Galley is in place.
    Dinette table is standing.
    Hookups (or gray-water jug) are in place.
    Awning is opened (if I want it to be).
    Cooler is sitting beside the door of the trailer.
    Fridge is running on propane (switched over from 12v used while towing).

The rest can just happen as needed. When it's time to eat, then we'll worry about that part of preparation, etc.

So the list above takes me about 30 minutes.

Take-down is about 45 minutes because there's some re-packing to do, and because we try to be extra careful with the canvass. We do our best to clear out everything but the essentials the night before so that there's less packing up to do at a time when we're also trying to take down the PUP.

I'll be putting it all to the test mid-October as we're doing two nights near Bryce Canyon, and three nights near Zion. The goal will be to minimize that transition time.

15. 66Camper

66Camper Member

12 minutes flat. We've got it down to a science!

16. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

12 MINUTES IS IMPRESSIVE!!!

We usually take about 30 to set up thoroughly. I still get stuck doing much of the setup, but my wife is getting more involved each trip, which is nice. We are starting to divide some of the tasks a bit, although she has no interest in raising or lowering the roof. The parking and leveling is all mine too. We have never really tried to 'rush' the task, to see if it could be done quicker.

Take down is generally about 40-45 minutes, because like others, we pack things away a certain way to ease the next set-up. We are working to maybe store more things in the TV rather than the pup during our stays, which will in theory speed the breaking camp process some, not having to move items from trailer to TV.

17. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

less then 15 minutes. DW does her stuff, I do my stuff and we're done about the same time.

18. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

15 min. to setup and about the same for tear down. I take down lights and table cloths and stow away the night before we leave. That way all I have to do is unhook water and sewer and power, roll up awning, fold outside mat, rise stabilizers, hook camper to truck and were off. I do stop at waste dump on the way out if no sewer, which adds about another 10 mins. Sooo much easier with the TT, No strain on the back, no sweat!!!

I'm hooked up right now, packed and ready to pull out again in the morning. Looks like a great weekend coming up!!!! [SUN] We are Camping a LOT more since we got the TT last year because it is so much easier. We have averaged 2 X per month since April 1, LOVE IT!!!!!! :) :) :)

19. Indy

Indy Member

In 30 minutes, we're backed in, unhooked, leveled, roof raised, beds/slide out, canvas/poles in place, sleeping bags on the bed, dog kennels set up, clothes & food inside, cooler just outside the door. Chairs are out, AC and lights are working, and we're good for the night.

We only use the inside fridge for drinks, so food is basically packed. Dry foods are in a pantry box that sits on the counter. We don't mess with awnings or tacky lights very often.

20. Wayne In Florida

Wayne In Florida Member

To set up...Depends on how cold the beer is......To take down...Depends how much coffee is left. [8D]