How long does the battery last?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Sjm9911, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok, so i know its dependent on battery, load etc. But given its late( no time to look) , how long will the charge last on say on 2 deep cell interstate batteries at full charge( unsure of capacity, not there yet) for the ellectric toung jack to stop working? So say lowest size batteries at full charge. I want to drop my TT off to get the breaks done and bearings packed. No time to do it myself. And will need to leave it for like 4 days because of work. Or should i just put on the manual jack?

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Two fully charged batteries should raise and lower the trailer many times without going dead.

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

You should totally be fine for four days assuming you don't leave anything running. You could certainly play it safe and disconnect the negative when you drop it off. (I think I disconnected mine the one time I had it in??)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Econ

Econ Active Member

The only parasitic draw I know about in mine is the propane detector that draws .07 amp per hour.

Batteries discharge just sitting there.

"The amount of electrical self-discharge varies with battery type and chemistry. Primary cells such as lithium-metal and alkaline retain the stored energy best, and can be kept in storage for several years. Among rechargeable batteries, lead acid has one of the lowest self-discharge rates and loses only about 5 percent per month. With usage and age, however, the flooded lead acid builds up sludge in the sediment trap, which causes a soft short when this semi-conductive substance reaches the plates."

I think you could leave it connected and it should power the tongue jack several times.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

It will easily last 4 days Worst case you can run your TV. plugit in and get it working. I once put the TT in a Storage unit for 5 weeks and in the hurry forgot to connect my Solar Batter Charger unit to the System. It was very dead. Even then i pluged by 7 pin and was able to use the tongue jack to hitch and by the time i got it to the campground it was fine.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

I wired a disconnect switch on mine. When i store it i turn it off. I mounted it outside so i just reach down and turn it off or on. Cost me like 25 bucks for the switch and cables. I mounted on the front frame where the A frame meets the front cross member and there were a couple holes there already. Didn't even have to drill. Took all of 15 minutes.

silverfz and neighbormike like this.
  7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

If it doesn't last four days just sitting you have bad batteries or something draining them. We can camp 3-4 days without having to charge.