How long it is safe to drive after closing the PUP in rain?

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by Camper054, Jun 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

I thought this would an appropriate forum to ask this question. We all know that we should dry the canvas before closing it to drive back home. Otherwise, it gets moldy and not good! So, if you have to get back home after camping and it is raining when you are closing the camper, which you must and can't wait. Is 6-7 hrs drive back home is okay? Then open the pup back up to dry? Would that be good? Or, do you suggest if I find a dry spot while coming back half way through, I open the pup and let it dry for an hour or so? It is a hassle, but is that necessary to avoid mold forming?
    Thanks you all, in advance.

2. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member Diamond Supporting Member

You can go for 6-7 hours easily without mold problems. It would take a day or so (depending on heat and humidity for anything to grow. I would just pop down then go home and then pop it back up even if it's still raining. You aren't hurting anything. Maybe put a fan inside to circulate air.

Fold up the canvas so it doesn't spill water all over your mattress and things will be okay.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

You will be fine, you just won’t want to let it sit for days. So driving home and setting up at home is perfect. My problem, I have to keep my camper in offsite storage so can’t open her up right away. I once was forced to wait a 5 days before I could open her up again. I was lucky no mold, but it was smelling musty so it probably wouldn’t have taken long. With all this rain here I may have to take a day off of work as I need to open my camper up soon after my last trip.

Camper054 likes this.
  4. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Oh, @tzmartin , @jmkay1 , a HUGE thanks to both of you for relieving me of my worries! I have a trip to Smoky's next weekend and it looks like there is a 'chance' of rain and I was dreading this. So, thank you, thank you!

5. jmkay1

. Have a fantastic trip. I went last year and loved it. Four night trip and it only rained the first two days. Actually a world record for me as it always rains the last day. :eek: [{}=] I’m pretty lucky as my canvas only take a few hours to dry so if you get a dry spell before you pack up Camp you may have nothing to worry about.

6. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Thanks @jmkay1 ! Yes, I am REALLY looking forward to it, as this will be first time for us. My DW along with the teenage boys are 'worried' about COVID-19 and using the public restrooms...I would be taking as much precaution as I can. So, rain is not the only thing I am 'worrying' :). Just had the tires replaced, wheel bearings repacked. They have not been 'touched' in last who knows however many years since the PO who we bought our camper last summer never replaced the tires or repack the wheel bearings in seven years he owned it!

Which campsite you stayed? I am going to Elkmont. Couldn't find one of the sites near the water, but I am sure they are all great. I do have another reservation in August at Elkmont and the site is just by the little river.

7. jmkay1

I also stayed at Elkmont however I can’t remember my campsite but I think it was B16 I forgot to write it in my journal. It was by a little stream. Which I was worried about because when I went a hurricane was blowing in from NC and I was afraid it would dump a ton of rain and flood. By the way, if you plan to utilize the bathroom bring a good flashlight it's pitch dark at night and finding the bathrooms can be tricky. Also try and fill your gas tank before going on the mountain. No place to fill up there and it's a long way off the mountain. My camper is actually quite heavy for my SUV and I was watching that needle go down every second. However it's beautiful up there. IMG_20180918_092045290_HDR.jpg

kcsa75 likes this.
  8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I have found that having a set of PUGs is a great help in damp weather. They help to keep the canvas dry and can be removed to dry themselves once home. I will also run the furnace to dry the canvas from the inside before take-down. Of course all bet are off is it's raining during take-down.

kcsa75 likes this.
  9. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Hey @PopUpSteve , thanks for the excellent suggestions. I do not want to stay off the subject I initially posted, but I do have a question for you: I did read about the PUGs here at the forums and folks use it and love it. I have been thinking of getting a set as well, but also looking at some other possible options such as (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-...ive-Roll-Insulation-24-in-W-x-25-ft-L/3011904), and will strap it. So, I am thinking I should get something similar result as PUG. Maybe I am mistaken?
    Thanks!

10. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I used Reflectix years ago in a smaller camper in the colder months. I really think it's a "state of mind" type of thing but every little bit helps I guess. If you use it, make sure to tape all the edges so you don't rip the screening.

HappyTraveler and Camper054 like this.
  11. jmkay1

. Just wanted to jump in on this. You can buy a solar tarp. That's what I used once as my pugs. It had grommets so I could use cording to attach to my bunkend along with clips. Every little bit counts.

Rocket Don and Camper054 like this.
  12. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

got it...thanks!

13. Rocket Don

Rocket Don New Member

I used emergency space blankets(the $15 ones hemmed and with grommets) instead of Popup gizmos. They make a huge difference in summer keeping the bunk ends cool. Keeps the dew and tree sap off the roof and helps a lot to keep them drier. I used the same set for my pop up and then my hybrid for a span 25 years! Well worth the investment. Pop Gizmos are tailor fit so probably even better.

Camper054 likes this.
  14. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Active Member

I am using the silver car auto reflective solar shades by Simonize. In a pinch here.

15. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I finally broke down and just put a 9X12 tarp up over both tent bed ends... Not the best looking thing but sure was a very inexpensive way to keep it all dry... most easy to put up and take down... My roof edge has a small rain gutter so the tarp is held in place there with a long stretch rope..

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

We love camping at Elkmont in the Gatlinburg area. It does rain alot there in the afternoons haha....

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  16. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

@roybraddy , I LIKE your idea! I may do the same to keep tree sap and rain off of my canvas. I don't think I have a rain gutter, so not sure how, but I'll figure out a way. Just came back from a two night trip at Elkmont and yes, it rained there A LOT. I also noticed my canvas and vinyl had tree sap, which I had to clean up after I got back home. I definitely want some sort of coverings - to keep my bunk ends clean as much as I can. PUGs are expensive and I was thinking of getting a roll of reflectix and cut and join them with duct tape to cover the top. But your idea is probably the cheapest way to keep them safe as I have several tarps lying around in the garage! I may go down the PUG way, eventually, but refusing as much as I can, now as I had already spend $$ for the camper stuff - a new gen ...:)
    Thanks!

17. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My rain gutter is not a very deep thing. You can see it under the two front YELLOW lights shown here on my roof. This runs from one side of the roof to the other and is V shaped probably 1/2-inch deep... I just lay the tarp edge into this area and can then have a stretch rope on top of it to hold this end of the tarp down...

[​IMG]

my tarps last 3-4 years before needing replaced... Most tarps have a silver back so that is the side I have on top to reflect the sun rays... I will get a cheap one from WALMART...

Another thing I have seen at ELKMONT is a hugh 20x30 tarp put up between some trees and you can pull your trailer under that or if you have tents set them up under the hugh tarp...

[​IMG]

I bet you saw some of this at ELKMONT haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Camper054 likes this.