How long should cords/water line be?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Enigmacamper, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

How far away generally is the electrical and water service at most campgrounds from your rig? Thinking a mix of private campgrounds and state parks mostly. 10 feet, 50? It’s hard to guesstimate how long those connections need to be! Thanks

2. davido

davido Well-Known Member

I have a 25' electrical cord and never use more than the first half of it at sites with full hookups. The hookups tend to be toward the front of the sites, and the water is usually adjacent to the electrical in my experience. So, because my water inlet is at the aft end of the trailer, I end up using longer lengths for the fresh water hose. I carry a 25 foot hose, and a 12 foot hose (both white potable-water hoses) that I can connect together if necessary.

For gray water, at sites where I have full hookups (including sewer) I carry several lengths of the fattest hose I can find; six feet, twelve feet, and twenty five feet. With those I can come up with any configuration I want to achieve the shortest path (least likely to clog) I'm able to, while still reaching the sewer hookups.

I've found it is also useful to bring a 25' heavy-gauge extension cord, a beefy power strip or 3-way splitter, and a couple shorter heavy-gauge cords. Most 30A sites also have 15/20A receptacles, and those come in handy on the cold nights where I might want to run two space heaters. I can plug one heater into the trailer's electrical system, and a second using the standard extension cord.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We carry a heavy duty RV extension cord ( I don't remember the length at the moment, at least 20') and 3 water hoses - 4', 8 or 10', and 20 or 25'. We've used all of the above at one time or another this year. Our gray water hose, used to connect to the Hydroflush when we dump the tanks, is probably 10 or 15'. We have 2 ten-foot sewer hoses, and have mostly used just one this year.
    We've had the power column and water spigot right outside the TT. We've also had it at one end of the campsite (USFS campground), on the other side of the camper (state park). Last weekend, the water and power column were about even with the hookups on the TT, but on the right side of the camper. We had just enough cord to plug in by running under the TT, same with the longest water hose.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

My cord in the TT is 30 FT. I also carry a 25 ft. extension, MY water hose is a 25 ft. and a 10 ft.
    I seldom have to use the extra lengths. The 10 ft. hose does the job most of the time. I also carry a 14 ga. 25 ft. extension cord that I made up with a double outside box. I use it for my coffee maker etc. under the awning. Over the years I only had to use both extensions once.
    Hope this helps, Good Luck and Happy Camping

5. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I have a 25' pullout electrical cord on my camper. Only once have I had to move the pup out of my preferred location to connect.

I carry two 10' fresh water hoses and a 5 gallon collapsible jug. One of the hoses has never been used. If I ever need more than 20' I will fill the tank and run off of the pump.

I have a 2' and a 3' section of 3/4" hose with female fittings on both ends to connect my grey water tote to the sink drain. The 2' is a straight drop on a level site and the 3' can be used, or they can be connected together, for less level sites.

Everything above lives in the camper and only gets taken out at camp sites. I also have a 25' commercial grade 3/4" hose for grey water that I will throw in if I know I have a sewer connection on site or if grey water dispersal is allowed.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

It varies. . I have used up to 100ft (1x50ft and 2x25ft) of RV extension cord plus the 30ft trailer cord at a few of Ontario's Provincial Parks. .

As for water I carry and have used up too 75ft (1x50ft, 1×25ft) on the rare occasions when my site had water.

I do have a 10ft hose I have used when needed to drain off the 40gal. grey tank. .

I also carry one of those pladtic springy hoses incase I need it for either a water hose extension or for a hose to water the campfire at night..

7. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

If you travel all around the country, doing lots of 1-2 night stays, you will stay in lots of campgrounds and encounter lots of variation - so I am not sure there is a one size fits all answer here.

In general, our experience has been that most sites with elec have it within reach of the RV cord. On sites with elec and water, we've found that water is more likely to be far away than elec. If the water is more than 50' away we'll just fill our tank and use onboard water.

We currently carry 2x25' freshwater hoses, 1 25' gray water hose for the rare times we stay on a site with a full hookup. We used full hookup sites a lot with past larger campers, but with the Aliner we usually just use a 2' gray water hose going to our portable gray tank.

We have rarely needed our HD extension cord to reach power. Although I sometimes run it to a separate 15amp circuit when cooking outside.

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

we carry a 25 round, 50 flat in the camper and a 25" pocket hose in the TV for filling the tank when arriving at the CG where water is not at sites. We carry a 25" 30 amp extension cord and have a 25 shore power cord.

9. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Two hoses because if a no connection site is all you can get the closest water source will be 10ft away from the end of you longest hose! I carry a 25 and 50ft freshwater hose with a Y adapter and pressure regulator, a old water hose cut to 10ft, and a 50ft 10g extension cord. The Y makes it easy if the spigot is near the camper to keep the freshwater hose connected and still rinse things off with the 10ft hose (dogs, boots, bike, me) away from the walking area around the camper (no tracking mud/wet sand in). The Y also makes it easier if you put it on the end of a two run hose to fill water jugs; you don’t have to run back and forth to shut if off. A SP water source was about 30yds away from the edge of the road making filling the tank a quick workout! It all goes in my 5gal Homer bucket, coiled up, that I use to catch my grey water (rinsed out of course before packing everything away)

10. CamperLover

CamperLover For evil to triumph, Good men do nothing

Just know this size and length matters. The reason camper cords are so thick is at 25' there is a ton of resistance which creates heat. If you should ever need more than 25'. I would fork out for the right shoreline. They make shoreline extensions but I wouldn't get more than 10'ish 20' at the extreme most. But that just my opinion.

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You would have a hard time trying to get close to some of the power posts in our Provincial Parks. . 100ft electrical run is normal ..

Enigmacamper likes this.
  12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

This is an interesting read. Only once have I ever needed an extension cord for my camper. most all the places I camp the power cord on the camper has been long enough. Now for water I only have the one 25' hose. Since I camp usually without water it doesn't get much constant use. Someday when I fix my onboard fill tanks I will be able to fill the tanks before I get to the site where I may need a longer hose. Just hate to keep all the extensions stored if I rarely need it. My front trunk is already filled to the brim.

13. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We had one year that it seemed every other time out, we needed a few more feet than the shore power cord or a 25' hose. I have used all my 100" of hose several times to connect to a water source to fill my water tank. we normally camp at SP, USDA or COE sites.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  14. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

As Snow has said, we often go over 100 feet (electrical) in our Prov Parks. I have 125 feet total including the cord on the pup. This summer it was barely long enough during a 2 1/2 week stay on one site. I'm going to be grabbing another 25-50 feet to make sure I always have enough. But, just to clarify a little, this is running the cord around the outside of the site to get to the post. I hate having the cord run through the middle of the site for everyone to step and trip on. If it was only for a night or 2 maybe, but not for 2 1/2 weeks. It goes out the back of the Pup, into the bush, and loops all the way around the site to the post. I have seen Snow have to put his out the back of his trailer, and go straight through a bush area to get to the post. That was a pretty long run if I remember.

15. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We do not carry an extension for the power. Never had a problem. The cord on the pup is 30'. As for water, I always carry a 25' extension. Had to use it twice so far.

16. Enigmacamper

I am super glad you brought up the idea of the "Y" adaptor! I was a little sad the model we're looking at didn't have the outdoor shower that others do but this would basically solve that problem, and further from the camper!!!

17. Enigmacamper

I was thinking of getting extension cords (not for the camper itself but appliances) of 10 gauge off amazon...is that big enough?

18. Enigmacamper

Wow, thank you so much everyone for your replies!!! It sounds like there can be a huge variance here. I'm guessing perhaps we might start with 25' lengths of both and maybe check when making campsite reservations if the utilities are close enough or if we'll need more. I think for a while at least we would be more "domesticated" campgrounds which sound like they have closer utilities generally. Now I know if we want to try the national parks etc. checking would be a wise thing to do.

I was wondering, does anybody use any type of adaptors or fittings with their water or electric? I have heard of water filters, not sure how important they are, and also surge protectors and probably some sort of flow regulator or something...I'm not a super techie electrical person. I know there are adaptors called "dogbones" but I'm not sure if I'd need them. My plan is to not use the camper's electrical system and instead run the fridge and AC off of heavy duty extension cords through ports in the walls.

Do most campgrounds tend to have the normal "household" outlet as well or will I need an adaptor to take me from 30amp or 50amp down to the 15-20amp (which is it, by the way, 15 or 20?). Ack, you guys are great, thanks!

19. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yes, 10ga is the proper size to get. As I said before, I have 125 feet of cord. 45 feet of that is the cord that is attached to the Pup, and that is a #12. The rest of it is extension cords, and are all #10's. If you were to go bigger than #10, you would be into #8. That stuff is so big and heavy, you'd need 2 extra people to help you carry it around. It's unnecessary to go to a #8.

20. Enigmacamper

Just what I needed to know, thank you!!!