How long will propane last?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by brainradio, Apr 18, 2010.

1. brainradio

brainradio 2000 Palomino Colt

First timer here....

20 pound tank, 6 days, limited use of stove and furnace. Will the fridge drain the tank? How often should I expect to need to fill?

thanks

2. mtn_bikers

mtn_bikers Northern NJ

If you also limit the time/duration that you open and close the fridge door you should be ok. Think about starting with the fridge cooled down (using electrifc) and put the food in already cold, you should be ok for the 6 days.

I believe the furnace is what uses the propane the fastest. Any chance of putting on a second tank just to be sure?

As a point of reference, we usually do a 2 week trip in the fall where we use the furnace & stove (fridge on electric). We haven't had to refill the tank.

3. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

I always have a 2nd tank in case the first one runs out i replaced my one tank bracket with a two tank bracket.

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

On high, the rm2193 flame is rated 635 BTU/hr and 293 on low.
    635 BTU/hr x 24 hr/day = 15,240 BTU.
    One pound of propane is ~ 21,560 BTU or 1.4 days of fridge on high.
    If you turn the fridge to low at night, even longer!

The furnace uses ~ 1 lb for each hour the burner is on. The inside stove burners from 5,000 and 7,000 BTU each.

Happy camping

Based on your description, every 10-20 days camping!

5. reidsd

reidsd Kelowna, B.C.

We travelled for 3.5 weeks and didn't come close to using our single 20 lb tank. This trip was during the summer so we never used the furnace. We only used the propane setting for the fridge when we stopped along the road or for the night. Same thing for the hot water tank. Our most recent trip was one week and we did run the furnace two nights out of seven and were stopped more than moving so our overall propane use was higher. Still managed that trip on well under half a tank. However, I did put a second bottle on the PU just in case. We were in either national or provincial parks so we didn't need to use hot water for showers (outside). It really depends on what you are doing. Our grill and stove are low pressure and I have a propane lantern but the lantern runs on 1 lb bottles (for now).

Good luck.

Scott

6. brainradio

brainradio 2000 Palomino Colt

Outstanding information - thanks!

7. bachstrad

bachstrad New Member

This is good information. We bought our pup last November and have been out twice for 2 nights each. the only thing we use the propane for is for cooking. The tank was about 3/4 full when we bought it and still seems to have a good amount left. i have carried another full tank with us each time just in case, but from what I've read here, I may be able go awhile yet before needing to change the tanks.

8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We ran our fridge for 6 days last August when the average outside temp was 90 and I kept the fridge on seeting 6. We also used the stove every morning to cook coffe/tea and b'fast. Did not even come close to using half a tank.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

The fridge is more efficient and effective on propane and it uses only tiny amount. Just look at how small the flame is. You can hardly see it. So, propane is a winner for the fridge both ways: most effective and uses very little.

As someone else mentioned, the furnace it the largest consumer of propane. So if you are camping in a warm climate and don't need the furnace at night your propane tank will last a long time.