How many A/C braces on a '07 Filon roof?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by griff02, Aug 18, 2009.

1. griff02

griff02 New Member

I'm just about done replacing my roof, and the last thing is adding the A/C back. The roof I have, I'm told was off an '07 Williamsburg, Americana series. It has one brace behind the A/C toward the rear of the pop up, and I'm trying to figure out if it needs just the one or another in front of the A/C.

One dealer has said the Alumitite only needs one, but the Filon used two. Another dealer said it just needed the one.

Anybody have one with an A/C that can tell me for sure?

2. campfixer

campfixer New Member

I would err on the side of caution and go with more braces if you can't find an awnser. Better to spend a little more than have your A/C land in your lap..

3. EV2

EV2 Member

My 07 has two.

4. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    Just remember, the purpose of the braces is more to prevent bouncing during transit than it is to support weight. That said, you really can't over brace it, can you?

5. griff02

griff02 New Member

Thanks everyone, and by the responses, I think I'll be putting the second brace on it.

6. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

My E3 with a filon roof has 2 braces on either side of the ac. But I went one step further and added more support between the braces. I did not like the movement of the roof with the ac installed. Adding the support between the braceing made it rock soild.

Here is a pick of the finished bracing....

[​IMG]

Go to this link for my install

Hope it helps

7. griff02

griff02 New Member

great pic! thanks, I'm currently waiting for the second brace on order. In the meantime, I rigged up a temporary 2x4 brace. That was a great idea for the extra bracing in between the two.

8. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

I like your design. I am going to give this some serious thought as I would like to span the distance between the supports. That way I can support the original A/C supports inside the foam roof.

9. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

It does work good. Been installed for just under 8 years and it still is rock solid.

10. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Cooper! Your still on the forum. :)

Nice. I saw the thread was so old and I said to myself. There is no way this guy is still on. I am glad I was wrong. I am going to think about your mod very carefully. I think it is something I can do.

VIn.

11. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Yeap, Im around. Allot of the old threads still notify me when someone posts. I've been spending most of my time on Facebook, but I do get around from time to time.