How many coolers do you bring and how big?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by ribs1, Aug 9, 2016.

1. ribs1

ribs1 Member

Hello All,
    I am preparing for our first trip with my new pup. The last time I camped a lot was in my old pup before the kids were born.
    At that time I brougt 1x Coleman 70qt extreme cooler and 1 other cooler about the same size. Kept the food in 1 and the pop/drinks in the other. At that time it was either just me and DW or me and DFB (dear fishing buddy)
    Now its wife and 2 kids. Thinking about buying a new 82qt coleman extreme.
    Thanks

2. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Depends on the trip honestly. Generally 2 coolers and the fridge. Both std 40-60qt. If alcohol is involved I keep a 3rd with just bags of ice for my whisky and coke. For our vacation this year we had our camper fridge, a mini dorm fridge the same size and one cooler. The cooler stayed in the pickup with lunch stuff and all our beverages. That worked out well. Well enough I might start carrying that fridge around more often. It only cost me 7 bucks so if it dies I don't really care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ribs1

ribs1 Member

I pulled the trigger and bought a coleman extreme 82qt.
    I'll have an 82qt a 70qt and the fridge. We are going to Lake Superior Provincial Park at the end of the month for about 10 days.

4. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

We are depends on how long is the trip too. Generally 1 cooler and the fridge, both are about the size of 45 qt. For a 10 or more days camping trip we add a 46qt freezer on the truck which has a 12V compressor and worked out well.

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Two Coleman Powerchills outside the camper and the Apache's RV fridge were all we ever needed. We always had too much food.

6. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

First week long trip this year we took our 120 qt (cause it was what we had) and with the fridge in the PUP it was way overkill, only fit in the PUP in one place, was hard to manage, etc. Went out and bought the 48qt $20 on sale cooler at that sporting goods place and lined it with blue foam insulation. Just got back from a quick 4 days and it was more than ample for us (2 adults, 2 kids), leaving again this Friday for another 5 days and only planning on the fridge and the 48-qt cooler again.

7. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

We use two, about 40 quarts each. One for food, one for drinks. I bought a huge (150-ish qt) a while back and I didn't like it because it was harder to handle, and harder to pack in the truck.

8. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Dorm fridge and PUP fridge. for a 3 day trip it worked very well. I kept the dorm fridge outside on a table for drinks (added warm cans when taking out cold cans. kept the food inside the PUP. I don't miss going to get ice every day or two in the heat. Outside fridge is heavy probably weighs as much as a cooler full of ice and drinks. I'm going to bolt on some handles to see if that helps. Also I use an extension cord to plug the outside fridge into the 120V plug on the post.

9. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

zero coolers, we use the refrigerator.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We started using 2 - 48 quart coolers back when we had the pup.. 1 cooler for keeping the food in and the second was used for drinks.. Still use both coolers now with the TT, one stays in the TT all the time and gets used for drinks and the second one, once emptied into the fridge and freezer gets put in the back of the truck for groceries ..

11. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

We bring one cooler for water and drinks and ice. Keep it outside beside door. We rely on fridge for all food etc.

12. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

Two coolers usually. One with food and one for drinks.

13. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

One cooler. 110qt Igloo. Stores enough food, water and adult beverages for about five days, which coincidentally is also how long the ice lasts. Any longer of a trip and we run for groceries and ice. Only problem is its size. Big and heavy makes it hard to load/unload into the van every night. We use PUP fridge for milk, eggs and leftovers.

14. travisma

travisma New Member

Good choice on the Extreme!

We have 2 identical rectangular Extremes, about 3 feet long, and a square Extreme on wheels with an extendable handle.

One rectangular is frozen food/long term storage. Only grandma and grandpa are allowed in that one. With frozen gallon milk jugs and frozen food, the ice in the jugs lasted almost 6 days in the FL heat over 4th of July.

Other rectangle is day to day food, cold cuts, condiments, eggs, etc. Ice jugs lasted about 3 days in that since it got opened a lot more. Supplemented it with our little ice maker and two bags of ice.

Square is drinks and occasional leftovers from the frozen chest. That got the biggest work out, and got the most of the ice maker output.

Threw a reflective windshield shade over the top of them and tried to keep them in the shade as much as possible. I'm going to purchase some reflectix and make coozies for them to reflect the majority of the sun/heat.

15. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We have the Coleman 5-day cooler sitting in the tailgate of the truck bed... We set a see thru plastic container with lid on top of the ice to keep thing from getting water soaked.

Our POPUP fridge does not have a freezer so it is only good to keep thing cool...

We can do good for about three days then we have start looking for ice somewhere...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

For years, we used a 54 qt cooler, for two of us. When we did a group trip, and made chili dinner for 40 or so, we used a couple of other coolers for that meal. (We cooked it ahead of time and froze the chili in bags. Packed with no ice, they weren't thawed by the time we made supper 2 or 3 days alter.)
    We now have a 'fridge in the trailer, so have a 35 qt Pelican cooler. That's mostly for Gatorade and iced tea, but also for lunch supplies while away from camp and for shopping (we can be 45 minutes or more from a grocery store in some places).
    Going to a larger cooler would not have been very practical in most of our vehicles, the 54 qt ones were pretty easy to pack around. We usually had a jacket of some type, or Reflectix cap, with extra foam for insulation on top of the cooler. We found that w/o the cap/cover, the metal coolers could get too hot to touch in the sun, even under the cargo cover in the Outback and 4Runner.

17. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

1- 60 qt Norcold fridge/freezer and our 3 CF fridge in the camper. Good for indefinite time as long as I have the batteries charged via 100w solar and propane to operate the camper fridge. Nice thing about the Norcold is I get the same cubic feet storage as a 100 qt cooler at about half the weight and don't need Ice. If I do need Ice I plan ahead and use a couple Rubbermaid tubs in the bottom of the Norcold, this is if I want some drinks on ice for a party. The ice will stay frozen and anything above it stays at or around 35 degrees. I normally have a couple ice cube trays in the campers freezer for making ice when we are boondocking.

18. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

When I first started camping I made do with a couple smaller coolers. They worked OK, but not great (just what I had in the house). Several years back I bought an Igloo Max cooler from Costco, billed as a 7 day cooler I think. It works very well, but it is wide. I have come to hate it, as it barely gets through the kitchen door of our house, and needs a wider aisle to maneuver in the garage, and is a pain to pack in the car due to its size. I have used this one for about 5-7 years now, and it always performed well.

Last year I picked up a smaller Igloo, forget the model, but I think it is a 3 or 5 day rolling cooler. From a size/packability standpoint it is better, but it does not have a drain plug. We tend to use it to store snacks/drinks for road trips.

Earlier this year I came into a thermoelectric cooler for free from a friend, and found a Koolatron hybrid 12V/110V fridge at a thrift shop for $25. I used the fridge for a week in Austin, and was happy with its performance. I kept it in the PUP which was air conditioned, and temps remained around 30-40 degrees.

The thermoelectric cooler I got to use for the first time this last weekend. I just put drinks in it, and kept it plugged in outside the camper in the shade. I was pleasantly surprised that it kept everything cool, even in the 100+ degree heat we had.

Going forward I plan to rely on these two, plus the camper fridge. Eventually if I find a good deal on a used Engel/Dometic/Norcold type 12V fridge like bearman has I will probably snag one, but even used they are a little beyond my budget right now.

19. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

just 1 48Qt extreme works for just me on a 4 day kayak trip...and that includes the beer.
    Add the 100 Qt for frozen foods lasted all 4 for a week.

20. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We bring an Igloo 5 day cooler (I believe it's an Igloo) and sometimes a smaller cooler for day trips to hold drinks and lunch.