how many different keys did coleman/fleetwood actually use?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by lksdrinker, Oct 1, 2019.

1. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

So I know there are only a few keys that were originally used on coleman popups. But how many were there? Of the 2 popups I've owned they both used the same key. However, on my 2000 Mesa the same key that works in the door, the front trunk and the shower does not work in the box under the door! Prior owner had no clue the box was even there. Before I bother trying to drill out the lock I figure it might be easier/cheaper to just buy another few sets of keys until I get what I need. For some reason I have in my head that there were only 3 options?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Idk, but i do know ow that its probably the same key on your mesa for under the door. Mine has 1 key for all, some of the locks are a pita to get the key into. And if it was never used that will probably add to the problem. Try some wd 40 or something in the lock, then try to wiggle the key in.

3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

1101X key for Fleetwood campers built before June 1997
    8025 key for Fleetwood campers built after June 1997
    751 key for exterior shower door and possibly the stepper door storage compartment lock but it's been so many years since we sold our Santa Fe I don't recall.

Obviously a previous owner may have changed the lock(s) just as I did with the cargo door locks on our Coachmen Freedom Express.

Raycfe likes this.
  4. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

I'll try again, but if I recall the key fit but wouldn't turn. I'll admit I did not try to lube it with anything so that might end up doing the trick. I should have some dry graphite kicking around somewhere.

8025 is what I have and works for everything else. I bought this one from the original owner who claims they didnt even know about the box under the door so doubtful the lock was changed. Any chance that the stepper door box might have used a 751 even though the shower uses the 8025?

5. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I have one lock that looks like the key goes in the usual orientation. It does go in but wont turn, but simply flipping the key upside down does the trick.
    Dry graphite is much than a wet lube for locks.

lksdrinker likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

Mine is a 2000, all were the 8025 key. Yes, better for locks, but after he blows out the road dust, lol. Personally, i use motor oil for locks. Inside and out. Then wipe it down, lasts forever, low evaporation rate, and dosent get sticky. ( its a bit messy when applied).

HappyTraveler likes this.
  7. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

I have a nice blend of transmission fluid and motor oil that I use for general lubrication stuff.....in a nice little tin man style oiler.

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

I have two different keys for my camper. 8025 for the main door. The shower door is a similar looking key but mine I think is a duplicate copy of the original so can't give you the actual#.

9. Buckmaster81

Buckmaster81 Active Member

Before drilling, dig out any old keys you have stashed in that junk drawer that fit the lock and “rake” and jiggle the tumblers while turning the key. You may get it to unlock.

10. Ironmonger

Ironmonger Member

I've got a '95 Sequoa with a step lock that was drilled out by the PO. While working underneath the camper I found a key that was attached to the frame. Looks like it may have been there from day one. Maybe from the factory? Anyone else ever come across this?

11. Sjm9911

Nope.

12. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

On my Carmel, it was an 8025 for both the stepper door and the outside shower door.
    On my Niagara, its an 8025 for the door and both storage compartments and the 751 for the outside shower door. It really doesn't make sense (to me) to have two different locks.

13. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

14. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Turns out it was the same key for all three spots (as should be expected!). The box under the door just went a long time with no use and took some lubrication and a little work to get it opened but now its working as it should!

Sjm9911 likes this.