How many manufacturers are left?

Discussion in 'RV Industry & Camping Related News' started by Robmoo, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Robmoo

Robmoo Member

How many manufacturers are left who make pop ups? Jayco quit. I don't see any pop ups listed on Coachman or StarCraft's site.

2. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member Silver Supporting Member

Forest River, Coachman, SylvanSport and some hard sides and some that are tents on trailers - the SylvanSport is sort of like that but it does have a hard top. There may be others.

MustangXLSally likes this.
  3. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Coachmen under the Clipper and Viking brands
    Flagstaff and Rockwood. All of which are Forest River products.
    Sylvan Sport
    Somerset

If I were looking for a new popup, I'd look at the Somerset.

Campergal40 likes this.
  4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

It's a wonder theres a market for new ones at all considering anyone looking comes here and he gets told to buy used...lol

Jimbow, NHHAPPYCAMPER, kcsa75 and 2 others like this.
  5. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

A recent visit to a local dealer to buy a part I found they had sold their entire inventory of travel trailers. Lots of destination trailers, but that was it.

6. Robmoo

Robmoo Member

The Somerset Utah looks sharp. It looks like they care about quality. The Utah layout is similar to our Niagara, but no 2nd cabinet for storage and to set the microwave.

We are currently have a 2001 Coleman Niagara. I'd like to upgrade to a high wall sometimes in the next year or 2. I still have a few things to repair on the Coleman. I should do one of those glamper remodels. I already need to replace 2 of the 3 cabinet tops and making the table match would be nice.

The Rockwood HW277 layout is nice, but no couch. It looks like one could load the HW277 without raising the roof and that outdoor kitchen is nice. The HW296 has a couch, but the frig isn't in a spot where one can load it without raising the roof and they ditched the outside kitchen.

7. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

our first camper was the HW277, we had it 6 years before moving on to a hybrid. we had a great time with it, but as with all models there were some drawbacks. we chose the hw277 for the access to the fridge when closed and that exterior kitchen. we also liked that the stove was not right next to a bed. we did get to the point of wishing we had a couch. The cargo capacity is not the greatest due to that exterior kitchen and the grey and black tanks are small - only 12 gallons. we enjoyed it and it served us well while we had it.

8. Buzzard42

Buzzard42 New Member

The Somerset Utah is nice, but at 2800 lbs. that's a bit of a pull with anything but a full size truck.

9. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

So Buzzard42, you would rule out all the mid/large size SUVs that are capable of towing over 5000 lbs and up to 8200 lbs??
    Why?

10. Robmoo

Robmoo Member

My Grand Caravan would have towed 2800lbs.

11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Just an FYI I have a fleetwoods Utah, So similar and the 2800 is dry weight. My camper actually weighs 3000+ without gear, water, etc it has a GVWR of 3600. I tow it with a mid size truck With a 5000 tow rating and so long as I don’t put water in her tanks I can haul it but I feel my engine working hard on the steep inclines. It’s a heavy unit, but I agree with @GalsofEscape It can easily be hauled by a midsize SUV but I agree something bigger would make it more comfortable on the mountains. Thing is, you have to look at the payload of the vehicle not the tow limit.

12. tzmartin

tzmartin Not here for a long time but here for a good time! Diamond Supporting Member

Wonder if they will make those somerset (aka rebranded coleman/fleetwood) parts available. For instance, that roof looks good and leak proof. Love to fit it on my 12' Casa Grande Coleman.

13. Campergal40

Campergal40 I smell like a campfire!

I agree about the Somerset! I also found out the other day that when Coleman stopped making PUPs, the employees went to work making PUPs under the Somerset brand. I was surprised when I saw pics of the inside of a new Somerset—their floor plans, etc. are just like the Destiny series put out by Coleman Fleetwood. Of course, they have a lot of new features.

Jimbow likes this.