How many of you actually use the small 3-way refrigerator in your PUP?

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Dragonfly Lou, Jun 1, 2019.

1. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Just thought I would give you some reasons since you couldn't imagine any. All is good.

2. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

It's not the same as an AC house refrigerator but it works well enough to use, and we use it every time. When its 80-90 degreees Fahrenheit, we sometimes have to add ice cubes in a zip lock back to help it get down to lower temps. We added a fan and baffle, and it helps some, maybe lowering the temp 10-15 degrees F, but it still needs help from ice cubes when its 80-90 degrees.

Photos at this link

3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Any trailer we've owned has had a gas absorption fridge so yeah, we used it. The biggest problem I found with the smaller 3-way fridge most often used in popups is losing that precious cold air inside the fridge as soon as we'd open the door. I solved that by building a Reflectix box for the bottom half of the fridge and using a Reflectix flap over the top section. Reflectix is flexible so we could easily retrieve what we needed but not lose all that cold air - worked like a charm. [A]

[​IMG]

For anyone interested a series of pics starts here - click on the "i" at the top right of any pic for a text description.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=eFp1bWxsNDZ2VndGVFgtX1kwODlVNXUweGE1Yzdn

Of course, correcting the awful factory baffle installation and adding a fan to draw hot air up and through the cooling fins also helped maximize fridge efficiency.

Econ, BillyMc and Spridle like this.
  4. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

We use our every trip, it works great even with our older camper. We use it as a true refrigerator and also bring along a cooler that is frozen only with meals. We keep the veggies and milk and eggs and so on in the fridge and replenish as needed. We only run it on propane unless we are in a campground with elec for a couple of days. Since we are frequently off grid for 5-10 days at a time, it is awesome having a fridge.

PointyCamper likes this.
  5. davido

davido Active Member

I use mine. Why wouldn't I? The day before I leave I turn on the switch for 115VAC power to the fridge to get it cooled down. We tow on 12v, and then switch to propane or 115VAC depending on whether there are hookups at the campsite once we arrive. We always do bring a cooler, but as the trip progresses the fridge quickly accumulates those things that were in the cooler that we find ourselves often needing. The cooler becomes where we store the meats and bigger items that we will consume slowly as the trip progresses. The fridge is where we end up with the condiments, leftovers, beverages, and partially-used things like a head of broccoli half of which was used yesterday and the rest of which will be used today (for example).

At the end of the trip whatever remains in the fridge goes back into the cooler before we close up the trailer and take it down. And that's how we use it.

If you were to think in terms of computer architecture, the cooler is our storage device and the 3-way fridge is our RAM; quicker to access, used for those things we are getting into frequently or that we haven't bothered to take back out to the cooler after a meal prep.

Dback2k4 likes this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

I always use it - even if just to store water. High wind tends to blow out the propane flame though so I need to look into making some type of baffle...

7. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

This surprises me. I tow at 70 mph and never have the flame go out.

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I use it every trip. One of many reasons I wanted to get a camper of some sort.

PointyCamper likes this.
  9. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

edited

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  10. nickap

nickap Member

That's exactly how we use ours. It's not that efficient running on electricity, but if I throw a bag of ice in there while I'm pre-cooling on 110V the night before the trip, that gets it down to a useable temperature. Once I get to the campsite and switch it to running on propane it works great - even to the point of some items freezing in there after a couple of days. Very easy access and always guaranteed to keep everything nicely chilled.

11. davekro

davekro Active Member

Can you describe and or post pics of how you created your inside fan set up. Great idea as all the coolness kids at the bottom!

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Fan we used was just a 2 D cell fridge fan from Amazon.

davekro likes this.
  13. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

14. Gafrus

Gafrus New Member

The previous owners of ours said the 3-way fridge broke and they replaced it with a regular electric mini-fridge. I'm never going to camp where there are electric hookups so it's pretty worthless to me. When I get around to it I'm going to measure and see if a cube style cooler will fit in the hole. Otherwise I will probably be making it into storage.

15. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

I use mine every trip. Start it on propane when I leave my driveway to begin the pre cooling. I have added a fan on the top vent but it has always worked and we're terrible about standing with the door open looking for stuff... I also bring a cooler and rotate ice packs in and out of the freezer so ice is saved for beverages. I have never been on a trip with any of my campers and not used the fridge.

@Gafrus - I replaced an ammonia leaking fridge in my last TT with a household unit, It would run for 24 hours on 2 good 12v batteries and a cheap Harbor Freight inverter. 3 hours per day of generator use (good onboard charger) would keep everything going. Did this for 2 years before I moved back to a PUP. If my current fridge pooped out, I would go the household route again. It was nice to have it cold in an hour.

16. Popup Winger

Popup Winger Member

Every trip. We use a Qzark Trail extreme cooler on wheels that we purchased at the local WM, that was reduced from $179 to $151. However when we checked out at the register it rang up at $99. So, we kinda stole it. Anyway, we use the cooler to transport cold items to campsite. Secret is to pre-chill cooler about 12 hrs before departure. We do this by having 2 gallon milk jugs frozen with water beforehand and using them to pre-chill. When we pack cooler to go, we just insert another couple of frozen jugs in cooler and then place one of them in camper fridge to chill that until electric us applied. Works like a charm!

17. Mike76

Mike76 Member

Every trip, yup. Some foods get too cold on propane when the temps go down at night, so we keep veggies and things that can flat out freeze solid in a small cooler with ice packs. But meats, yougurts, cheese, drinks, milk, etc. etc. all go in the fridge.

18. zak99b5

zak99b5 Member

I got my fridge running on propane. Had to clean out the jet with a short piece of .010 guitar string (I know they say not to ream it out, but it slipped right in, not damaging the bore). So glad I did. Keeps all the food cold and dry. Genny Cream Ale goes in the cooler, with some drinks for the kids--I grudgingly make room for the kids.

19. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We are on our 3rd popup. Always use the fridge. Have added a small dc exhaust fan which helps when outside temps above 90's.

You can not open the door much.

20. davekro

davekro Active Member

Where, how and what difference did you notice after installing 'a small dc exhaust fan'? Was that on the back to cool the fins at the top outside rear of the frig?