How many of you have had to use your extended warranty?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by cfmx, Mar 5, 2014.

1. cfmx

cfmx New Member

Wondering how many of you had to use an extended warranty for an issue. Not asking about the 1-2yr manufacturer warranty but specifically an extended warranty 2-8 years.

2. cfmx

cfmx New Member

I take it no one buys extended warranties or no has had to use them. Either way a good thing if I'm correct. :)

3. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

I never bought one. I figure only using the pup 3-6 trips a year, we aren't getting that much use out of it to worry about a warranty. We've had it now since 2009 and haven't had any problems that would need any warranty work.

4. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

would never buy an extended warranty on a new RV.
    we did buy the 2nd year Forest River factory warranty for $100, on our Roo 23SS.
    it costs $150 now but it is the same as the 1 year factory warranty, ball to bumper.

now if we bought a used RV, might consider an extended warranty since you won't get any warranty on a used RV.

5. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

I never would buy one... they usually charge so much for those that they are basically taking your money upfront for any repairs you might need.

6. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

You are right Ken. I just bought a used 2012 hybrid from a dealer, and the extended warranties were 1 yr. $1695, 2 yr. $3195, and 3 yr. $4795. The funny thing is the finance lady even told us it wasn't a popular thing.

7. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

The way I view it is that a warranty is paid for by the manufacturer and represents how strongly they back the quality of their product. Anything you have to purchase separately is only an insurance policy to cover your losses for their failures. I take their "warranty policies" into consideration when I do my negotiation and never purchase a separate rider.

8. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

The manufacturers warranty is essentially worthless. All it covers is the workmanship. It will cover adjusting a door etc. After the first 60 or 90 days depending on the manufacturer it does not cover sealants, failed sealants are the cause of about 90% of any problem the manufacturer will be liable for. Problems such as delamination or water damage. Every other piece or part is warranted by the individual manufacturer. Tires, axles, frame, door, windows, furniture, appliances including AC, converter, stabilizers, tongue jacks, Every manufacturer I know of has a 1 yr except for Jayco at 2 yrs, and some like Forest River will sell you an additional year as Bikendan says. Rubber roof on a TT or HTT 10 year warranty? No its not, the rubber membrane only. Not any of the other things you need or labor to replace. Labor and other issues on a 20' trailer $3500, membrane $400. They are all essentially worthless. If you have water damage tough luck, its going to be due to sealant failure and after 90 days your screwed. There are occurances where a manufacturer will go above and beyond a warranty for an issue even as far as replacing an entire trailer. Those are rare. Do not expect it.

It used to be when you had an issue with a component under warranty, the dealer would contact the manufacturer who would authorize a repair or replacement, then they would take care of dealing with the component manufacturer. Not any more. That is all dumped on the dealer since the recession. That is why you read horror stories in forums of warranty issues taking so long. First off you need to have a really great dealer which is not easy to find. Anymore that is the most important thing when buying a camper....use a good dealer.

Extended warranty IMO is even more worthless than the manufacturers warranty. Save your money. Take the $4795 for a 3 year extended warranty Shelmily mentions and use it to pay for inspections and maintenance and for if something should break. Especially pay attention to the caulks and sealants. Your chances of a component failing in 3 years are slim. Whats a tire? $100? a 6 cu ft fridge in a TT or HTT $1200, water heater $350? All easily changed if your even the slightest bit mechanically inclined. Most fridges already have a 3 year warranty and some other components have a 2 year.