How many PUP forum members are also Motorcycle Enthusiasts?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by rob2218, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Fhawk

Fhawk New Member

We have a 1996 Jayco 1207 and a 2005 Harley Road King

Attached Files:

2. Rob-N-Kat

Rob-N-Kat Member

[​IMG]
    Me and my bike pre-crash days
    [​IMG]

3. Rob-N-Kat

Rob-N-Kat Member

[​IMG]
    post crash my beautiful wife allowed me to buy this so we could still feel wind in our faces but with a little more metal around us. She used to ride with me quite a bit on the bike but after the crash I really did not want her on there with me. If she had been on the bike the day I got hit she would have taken the brunt of the hit and it would have surely killed her.

4. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

Rob! Looks like you got yourself a little rocketship there!!
    The Bike looked great! I like that shade of red with the chrome!! I am glad you are well and DW wasn't riding that day...for sure.

Here's one more picture I would like to shamelessly leave with you all [:D]

It's going to be in or near 80° today!!!

[​IMG]

5. Rob-N-Kat

Rob-N-Kat Member

Miss the bike but not riding in Tampa traffic. Took the car up through the Smokies and Blue Ridge parkway last fall and had a blast. It's not the fastest but you really feel connected to the road and the you can put the top up when it rains :) When I rode the bike up there a few years back I spent more time in rain gear than anything else.

6. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Rob and Kat,

I have a similar story except mine happened on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was on a group ride and the guy in front of me lost control of his bike. The story is too long to tell but avoiding his crazy out of control crash caused me to crash. I was riding single but his wife was severely injured. The next day I actually rode the Tail of the Dragon on a different bike...although somewhat jittery I knew I needed to get back in the saddle. I had 2 HD Roadkings and a couple of Honda 1300 VTX Retros over the years. I eventually sold my last Roadking and bought a Boxster which not unlike you rode all through the Smoky's. It was a blast. Those Boxsters with their mid engine design really are a blast to ride through the curves....almost as much fun as a bike. Glad you were OK after your wreck .

7. Sgtyork

Sgtyork New Member

2007 Harley Electric Glide Classic. We ridden 64,390 mile on it since 2007. Will be selling it in the spring and starting over with the camper.

8. kreeves

kreeves She and her two dogs

I wish I could figure out a way to do both, camping and biking. I can't do both. I had a crash a couple years ago. Lady rear ended me and threw me into the intersection. What I thought wasn't too serious of a hit still has me in treatment over 2 years later. Long story short... Totaled Vino 126 scooter...New Vino 125 traded with Suzuki Vstrom 650 to get me a new Honda Forza 300cc scooter... Love it to death. Yes no shifting gears, but nice to handle.

Yes.. This Lady Rides Her own....LOL

9. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Hitting road camping, is very much the same spirit as heading out on the highway....as the song goes!

There comes a time when even die hards realize (when there is an option) that I can live with my stories behind me and not go through another incident. It's the accidents we had no control over that are the most fustrating.

So we now have campers in the rain, as opposed to putting tarps over park benches to sleep out of the rain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

10. jumpoff

11. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

Motorcycling used to be the hobby of choice for the wife and I. Loved it. Commuted with it, knocked around with it on the weekends, had some real iron butt rides where I could do a few hundred miles in a day. First was a BMW LT. Second was an Ultra Classic. Then we had our first kid. Our annual mileage reduced by 50%. My real problem after that was riding made me feel guilty both with respect to it being "solo time" in the saddle (not with the family) and riding was an unnecessary risk that could cost my kids their daddy. It wasn't worth it to me anymore - certainly not with the (back then) proliferation of cell phones, young inexperienced drivers and all the distractions. I still think about getting another - really tempted by the new Goldwings - but I still don't think it's worth it at least until the kids are off to college. Probably not even then.

So we sold the bike and picked up a scooter purely for the ability to enjoy the sensation of riding, even if just to run to the grocery store, which is what our Harley was reduced to anyway. We picked up our camper five years later as a more family friendly hobby. I'd be curious to know if anyone had the same experience/feeling about the two lifestyles.

12. ChocoChock01

There is the other aspect that we are not as resilient anymore. Taking those fall and tumbles, may not be a matter of brushing ourselves off, uprighting the bike and riding off.

13. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

What a great question! Thanks for the chance to reminisce! I rode for 43-years. Had to relinquish my R1150R BMW because of arthritis. My motorcycle was also the reason I bought my first pup 15-years ago. I just loved to travel and see our country and camping became essential. I was a member of the IBA -Iron Butt Association, an international group supporting safe long distance motorcycling. Thanks for the chance to reminisce! . . .it WAS great to be young. . . .so glad I survived it!

Attached Files:

14. ChocoChock01

Didn't Oscar Wilde have a quote on "youth is wasted on the young"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

15. jumpoff

I agree with you. It made me feel a little guilty and a little selfish. My wife loved it as much as me. Between us we have five children three of which are teenagers and live with us. The thought of her getting hurt on the motorcycle became very pronounced in my mind. I had a really nice Road King but in the last year of ownership I only rode it 1000 miles. I became uncomfortable with the thought that another accident could change everyone's lives.... The other thing was that riding locally was becoming boring to me... I really only wanted to go on long trips to the mountains. Did anyone else ever get bored with riding locally ?

16. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

I sure did! Think Iron Butt Association. Initially everyone considers this a stupid idea to start with. This is a really good group of international enthusiasts at every level, on every motorcycle -including moped! I found myself getting on my bike, riding the freeway -which I hated- just to get to somewhere new. But there was no other choice! The working world left me with only a weekend to escape -hence my handle - XKPin. I'd ride as far and as reasonably fast as I could Friday night. I'd spend the night somewhere new and start out fresh in the morning enjopyably trolling through the woods in a place I had never been before. Heaven! I'd stay Saturday night and roar back to reality on Sunday. I became an official member of the IBA when I passed the entrance exam: The Saddle Sore 1000. One thousand miles safely conducted in 24-hours. Now this sounds insane, but the idea is to plan your course, document it -including rest stops, and turn it in for authentication. The idea is to learn to get to new places for new adventures. This is NOT like another club and it sounds like you would be doing a disservice to yourself from the question you just asked. Lots of planned group events and single events. I miss it a LOT! Start with this link: http://208.112.3.93/about/default.cfm?CFID=23532989&CFTOKEN=68934377
    . . .you'll be glad you did.

17. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

I loved the picture of the Honda XL250 in the air. Brought back old memories as I raced my 71 model for several years. I've had a couple dozen bikes over the years, (I had a Suzuki dealership in the 80's) raced MX, hare and hound and endure and dabbled in a little drag racing and motorcycle touring with a turbo Honda 750K3 but sadly I only have one picture left.

[​IMG]
    It's a 71 Honda CT-175. I was jumping the levy in New Orleans, Cpt. America style. [:D]

Here's a couple 125cc Chinese CT-70 clones I bought a couple years ago - trying to relive my youth as my first bike was a 69 CT-70.

[​IMG]

Chip