How Many Scout Lites Are There Out There?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Canvas Cur, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Canvas Cur

Canvas Cur Member

I can see the day looming where we will have to part with out little pup due to the effort/time required to set up and tear down. In the past (several years ago), we had an Aliner Scout (12' box) and a bit larger TV and it was really nice. Just had to mind the wind when setting up. If we part with the pup, I am considering the Scout Lite due to less weight. My question for Lite owners is...how have you been doing with the 10' box length? It is just us two, and our necks are still able to lean at an angle...for now LOL! So, any thoughts on actual use in the real world of camping? There are very few used right now, so it may be a while before we would be able to make the switch...IF we do at all. But I sure would like some input from Pointy Camper owners. As always...thanks in advance!!

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

We looked at a 2003 Scout with a 10 ft box (a single user) , we bought a 2003 Scout with a 12 ft box.

Just two of us.

No way would I consider a 10 ft box for two persons.

Regards, a Pointy Camper :)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

We had a Ranger 10 (2019), a "10 ft box"; had a soft dormer on the front, that helped space wise. We left the table down in the back as a bed, you could sit on the cushion edge & use the counter for eating, we cooked outside. I liked it for ease & speed of set up, wife not so much...ours came w/ the wind kit, & I used an expandable bar for the inside sides. Kinda wish I still had it, got a 2020 NuCamp Boondock Edge XL, sold it this past June w/ a phone call, pain to enter at times but dang nice w/ all the extras. Kept our Sylvansport GO

4. Canvas Cur

Canvas Cur Member

Thanks for the input. We did not have a "wind kit". What exactly do they do? And..what is the purpose of the expandable bar?
    The SylvanSport Go is neat. We were living in Brevard, NC when they were being developed. Thought the concept was cool, being able to use it for several things at once. Still, at the time we felt that they were quite expensive for a tent/utility trailer combo. But...very well made!! Now they are designing (and building?) an actual TT. Again...very spendy but a host of innovative features. So, for now I will keep perusing CL and RV Trader to see what comes up. When we first looked at the Scout Lite, they were (new) 9,995.00! Quite a bit more now. If I could find a clean used one in the 5-7K range, that might sway me. But...the 10' box would require that we check it out in person to see if it would be workable. (Thanks, Anthony!).

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. Rik Peery

Wind kit secures the upper walls, expandable bar was used as some extra security for the side walls...GO is versatile for sure, but like you mentioned, basically a tent lol. Got mine from the local Gander for $8,000, think they're up around $11,000 now; good idea to wait it out & make sure of the fit, stuff is $$$$$$$$$...

6. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Rik,Its 5:30 am. You are referring to the rod that keeps the A-walls as a Wind kit. I always referred to the wind kit as the bars that tie the two roof panels together.

If you dont have one always point the tongue into the wind when erecting.

Rik Peery likes this.
  7. Rik Peery

Bingo...couldn't find the right words lol

Econ likes this.
  8. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

You may call it CRS, Oldtimers, or early in the morning.<GG>

I have a factory High Wind kit. For the A-wall brace I took a Wooden Dowel, (1.25 insh???), found a rubber cup thing to protect the wall, Drilled a hole in the other end, tapped for 1/4- 20 and made adjustable. This way the A-wall brace cant collapse like those spring loaded rods. Great place to hang wet bath towels.

Rik Peery likes this.
  9. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

My wood bar is also outfitted with two strips of LED lights, most of the time those are the only lights that we turn on.

Econ likes this.
  10. Dnodoz

Dnodoz Member

We had a Scout lite for a bout a year and have since upgraded to a Classic with dual hard dormers. We found the 10ft box too tight for a couple. The dinette bed is not big enough for two and the front bed is too narrow for my comfort. I need room to switch positions periodically during the night and it was just too tight.

We did a lot of mods on it before giving up and moving up. Added the factory lift assist wind kit which locks the roof together too protect against high winds catching it when setup. Doesn’t do much to protect you while in the process of setting up. You just need to use caution if the wind is blowing or create your own protection with a strap or rope while setting up.

Two best mods to make a 10’ Scout lite bearable that we did were adding two exterior cargo doors for outside access and converting the dinette to a fold up down pallet with flip up table. YouTuber Slim Potatohead did this in an old video when he was still in his Aliner.

We could pull the Scout lite with our Subaru’s 1500lb tow capacity without any trouble. We had to upgrade our tow vehicle to a 5000lb capacity truck when we moved to the Classic.

The 12’ box makes a huge difference in comfort. If you can find and afford it I would recommend the 12’ Scout over the the 10’ Scout Lite.

Econ likes this.
  11. Canvas Cur

Canvas Cur Member

Thanks! All very good points. I too ... due to back and neck pain ... do a bit of "squirming" while "finding my niche" as my DW says LOL! Still, the weight difference is tempting. I will try and find that video you referenced. Tying a strap to the top while setting up in breezy conditions is a good tip. I did have an occasion to see the "sail" effect once while setting up on St. Andrews Bay in Panama City Beach (at the state park). Very exciting! Not for the faint of heart! Anyway, just figuring out what camping options we have left as we sail ourselves into the sunset of our 70's. Still do like camping...but maybe time to do a reality/financial check. Thanks to all for the input.

Econ and Rik Peery like this.
  12. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

Get a better tow vehicle before you purchase your Aliner. All the A-lites and 10' Scout Lites I have seen have been used by single campers. I could camp in one solo, but am really glad I purchased the Expedition for the two of us. If you can get a tow vehicle that could handle the Classic you will really like the larger refrigerator and the other refinements of the Classic and Expedition.
    Actually, I don't see how a Prius can tow what you have now. I'm just looking at specs. You know what your experience is.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    Pedro Galvan and Econ like this.
  13. Pedro Galvan

Pedro Galvan New Member

For a single dude with a dog, the Scout Lite is perfect, plenty of space (especially coming from a 4x8 Runaway Navigator!). Houndini sleeps under the table, I sleep on the front bed. although I also feel it is a bit narrow. But getting used to it! I also seldom cook inside: I don't want the inside to smell of food. I set up a 10x10 canopy next to the Scout, with a tarp set up as a hallway, so I don't get wet in case of rain. The canopy acts as the kitchen/deck.

14. JamesC

JamesC New Member

I purchased my Scout Lite in 2019 for fly fishing expeditions. No frills...I purchased a dometic 35 DC fridge & two golf cart batteries with 300 watts of solar to feed them. Also added a quickset canopy and outside toilet/shower structure. As mentioned by others, for one person it works well and gets me right on the water. And i spend my time outside only sleeping in the Aliner. My ford explorer pulls it with no strain.
    I have zero regrets and the unit has held up fine.

I recall Rik had his Ranger for sale at the time and had we been closer might have made a deal for that one.

Pedro Galvan, Rik Peery and Econ like this.
  15. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

We agree. At this age we went Expedition. We dont cook inside unless forced. DW says its too small for rainy days. I got a refrig, a midnite john so I dont have to walk down to the latrine at 2 AM, a warm bed, a sink to bath from, a chest of drawers, a TV that has a 4500 pound limit, what more do you need?

Pedro Galvan likes this.