How Many States Have You Camped In ?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jumpoff, Apr 8, 2017.

1. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

You haven't camped out until you do Europe you might be in a campground with 4k campers in it and across the road will be another campground with another 4k in it. The Dutch come up for their 2 month Holidays as they call it you will see some very interesting tents there also. Did I say huge!!

BigRedTruck likes this.
  2. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Four states and Italy.

bob barnes likes this.
  3. bob barnes

So how did you like Italy did you camp Rome?

4. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

We spent 4 days at Camp Darby Army Base In Tirrenia, Italy. It is located between Livorno and Pisa on the western coast. It was by far one of the best camping experiences for our family. We camped in a tent and spent days exploring the Tuscany part of Italy. There is a huge beach that was part of the army base and it was well kept. The shower facility was spotless and there was plenty to do if you just wanted to hang out at the campground. However, we used that campground as a launching point to visit Pisa, Florence and the rest of Tuscany. My DW and I would love to go again.

bob barnes likes this.
  5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My POPUP has camped in a few states and i have also tent camped in a few more states...

Think I am up to 13 states now for the POPUP trailer... MD is hard to see in my small signature map...

I just updated my signature map for the POPUP trailer just last week haha... Had to remember all over again how I did the map and trailer small photo...

It seems that all of my roads go through Smoky Mtn Natl Park in TN and I have no idea how many time we have camped there with the POPUP trailer and Tent camping... Love that place... Brings out my Cherokee Indian heritage I reckon... There was a full blooded Cherokee woman four generations in my family tree back from the Trail of tears days...

I need to add a few more states to my POPUP tongue frame area.. Then i have my most favorite camping sites emblems next to the popup door...
    [​IMG]

When we lived in Arizona in the Late 60s - early 70s the craze was tent camping all over the high country of AZ and NM. Groups of us would load up our trusty ole jeeps and pull a utility trailer and head to the mtns for the weekend...

Probably my best camping times was tent camping... Doesn't get any better than this...
    [​IMG]

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    bob barnes likes this.
  6. bob barnes

Oh Tuscany what a beautiful place did you enjoy watching them cook in those brick ovens? The real thing!!!

7. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

8. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Not only enjoyed watching them cook on them, but the pizza they turned out I still crave. I am kicking myself for not having one shipped home. They cost at the time about $500 disassembled. Uncle Sam would have shipped it home for us for free. Hindsight is 20/20.

9. bob barnes

Well the ones I saw they were using real wood and yes those pizzas were outstanding!!

10. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

The wood burning ovens put out the best pizza. We were stationed in Gaeta, Italy and our favorite local restaurant, Ristorante Pizzeria Atratino, made the best pizza ever. I am drooling just thinking about it!

11. bob barnes

All the restaurants I was in in Italy seemed to use a brick oven for all their cooking. I saw some very strange looking pieces of wood behind them!!

12. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Bob Barnes... I think you've got everyone beat

13. bob barnes

Life has been good to me!!!

14. bob barnes

I would dearly love to camp Eastern Europe but it is very expensive to rent a car there and although I have been assured it is safe I don't know if I want to risk it being an American and all. I did make it to Budipest but chickened out after reading my contract with the car rental company. I did a no no but about 100 mile past Paris you cannot believe how sorry the soil is. All the plants were 1/2 the height of western Europe.

15. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Italy? I want to know what route you drove with the pup to get there! :grin: LOL

16. bob barnes

We flew over to Rome since flying to Europe you can take 100lb of gear each which included our Cabellas Alaskan tent, stove and clothes. we had reserved a car loaded all that gear up and off to the campground to sleep a bit then off to Rome!!!

17. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Wow! I would never even think of packing gear and flying to a destination! That must have been an interesting experience!

bob barnes likes this.
  18. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

As a couple, DH and I have camped in GA, FL, AL, MS, OK, AR, TX, NM, AZ, UT, WY, CO, and NE. In his past life DH also camped in TN, CA, maybe NJ, and quite a few places in Europe. Oh, and possibly while stationed at a base on Crete. There may be more states where he's camped. He's a Florida/Boy Scout/military brat. [:D]

Hey, I almost forgot my one and only camping experience pre-DH. A family trip with cousins in LA -- the state, not the city.

19. bob barnes

I have done it 4x at 75 still dreaming of places to go!!

20. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

42 in my Aliner. Some I have also done tent camping (Florida and Colorado) or backpacking (Montana, Colorado, California, North Carolina, Virginia). I haven't used my Aliner in Alaska but I have backpacked there.
    hoffsalinertravels.net