How Many Trips Cancelled Due to Virus?

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by scubacamper, Mar 25, 2020.

1. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

So with the FL SP's closed we had 2 trips cancelled...1 at Blue Spring in Orange City, FL and the other at Rodman Dam CG both closed due to the Covid Virus. The DD's have virtual school so it's not like we can leave even if there's a spot available since one is usually on the desktop and the other on her laptop for most of the day. As an educator I have a bit to do but then I'm done for the day with LOTS of household projects to do. The DW is currently working from home holding meetings on her phone and laptop...AUGH....I need a camping trip to get my brain clear.

Amybejo, kcsa75 and Grandpa Don like this.
  2. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

Its harder to socialy distance in a popup. Ours has a bathroom in it, but you need some sort of bathroom for #2 and showers if you plan to take them. That leaves us a lot more exposed then other RVers.
    If I did not have young kids I would be willing to risk a trip, but its hard to keep little kids off a playground they can see from out site.

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Season hasn't started here yet, but we have reservations for State CGs in May, which we have not cancelled yet. Our big trip was going to be Anchorage to Haines, Alaska. That requires going through Canada. We'll have to see how that goes. That's the one at the most risk of cancellation in July.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I hope they open the boarder by then. Mostly everything we get shut down i think.

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Hate it for the folks that have had reservations, trips cancelled because of the virus. We only boondock and the virus won't affect our plans

6. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We commonly stay at a rustic NFS campground but could easily swtich to Boon Docking. We're like you joet so we'll be out.

7. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

I'm in California and it is really crazy out here. Lots of places shut down. Fortunately for me I only Boondock. So I can pretty much go any time I want. Living on the Mojave Desert helps. Miles and miles of free camping out here. Right now though it is a little too cold for these old bones. We've also had a lot of rain in the area. The camper is in the driveway so I'm doing a little catch-up maintenance to it. Maybe I'll head out this weekend just for an overnighter if nothing else. I am a solo camper so keeping my 6 foot distance won't be a problem.

MyName, gladecreekwy and Rik Peery like this.
  8. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

We had a trip scheduled for May 1 at a COE park that was canceled. Also have reservations for Memorial Day weekend and eight days around July 4 that are still on the schedule but I'm not holding my breath.

The good news is that Kansas State Parks have not closed. DW and I are thinking about going next week, weather permitting.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  9. Sjm9911

Im going to start messuring the back yard to see how many campers i can fit.

J Starsky and neighbormike like this.
  10. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Va state parks still a go so far; have some spots I can go if crap hits the fan...

11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

We were supposed to be camping this week. Our destination is still open, but we canceled. I feel better being home than being 300+ miles away.

12. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We have 3 close in reservations. Mid apr, early may, mid may. I'm hoping we can go. The parks now are closed. We need to figure out second options if they are not open. We are good with our second camper not to use public bathrooms.

13. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

Oregon State Parks closed last Monday, they have cancelled my next 3 reservations (March 26th, April 12th & May 1st) They were only weekend trips to escape the city, I'm bummed but would rather be safe than sorry!

Kim C likes this.
  14. Arlyn Aronson

You must have NF near Beaverton. Why not boon-dock?

gladecreekwy likes this.
  15. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

What's NF? I don't boon-dock [:D] yet!

16. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

National Forest. Good time to start. Not complicated and campers are designed to do it. Lots of info on this site. Dive in!

17. Arlyn Aronson

I tried getting the "how to camp with no services" in the boon-docking section going and got no responses. [V]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  18. Sjm9911

19. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Kim C likes this.
  20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

So far, only one of my trips has been canceled, a 10-day trip from NM to AZ for a Sisters on the Fly event, visiting friends, and meeting Courtenay for a long weekend. (I was supposed to get on the road yesterday.) I canceled even before NM went to full "stay at home" because I'd rather be home if I'm staying in place. Also, if I do get sick or have a mechanical issue, I'd rather be home and not someplace on the road, where there may be limited resources. With the TT, we can be pretty much self-contained, but there is limited food storage and we do need a dump station every now and again, as well as water if our tanks and jugs are used up.
    We're keeping all our other plans in place. Next trip isn't until early June, so I'm hopeful things will begin to open up before then.