How much Airflow does a Solar Controller require?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by mpking, Aug 20, 2019.

1. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I'm toying with the idea of permanently mounting my solar controller.

Right now I just sit it on the battery box, and connect my suitcase style panel to it. I've been toying with the idea of permanently mounting the controller inside the camper, and mounting a panel on the roof. (The style of camping we've been doing has us on the beach, so having a suitcase has not added value to us. I've typically just laid it flat on my roof the last 6 or 7 trips)

My first thought is in a cabinet that we don't really use. My second thought was pull the false bottom out of that cabinet, and mount it under there. (I have a bluetooth adapter on the controller, so I haven't looked at the panel since I got it)

The Cabinet is 12"x24"x36". The false floor is 10"x10"x36"

Controller is Renogy Rover 20Amp.

How much airflow is required for these things?

Random thought as I type this. I could possibly fit it inside the backside of the fridge cutout. That has airflow. It'd be *REALLY* tight, and longer cables, and I've also toyed with the idea of removing the fridge and making that an inside/outside storage compartment, so I'd rather NOT do this. (it'd be in the way then)

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I don't believe PWM controllers need much, your MPPT controller does produce some heat when it transforms panel voltage to battery voltage. The higher the input voltage the more heat would be produced. Using one '12v' panel or paralleling multiple '12v' won't produce much heat. That's my no specific random thought!

3. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I’ve seen those controllers in very tight spaces

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Inside a cabinet would work. I would mount it vertically for better airflow. My PWM manuals say to allow 1" clearance above and below for proper airflow.

5. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

I've got mine mounted in the front storage compartment, up high in the corner. If you can leave a little space around it, you'll be fine.

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have seen a couple of installation videos and they recommend six inches all the way around. If you look at THIS "Slim Potatohead" video, starting a 10:08, he mentions the controller placement, but he did not follow it due to lack of room in his Aliner.

7. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

The PWM controller in my setup is located inside the battery box lid.....I've read it's not the best location for one, but it's finishing up it's second year with no problems.....yet *fingers crossed*[;)]