How much can a 1993 E150 Club Wagon XLT Van tow with a 5.0?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Matt O, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I have a 1993 E150/Club Wagon XLT van with a 5.0 motor. How much can it tow? It does not have a tow package. Also, is the frame of an E150 the same as a F150? Basically can I use a class III hitch from an F150 on an E150?

I have looked all over the internet and I can't seem to find an answer to how much it can tow. I know and I easily tow my popup and my utility trailer with the van fully loaded but I am thinking about the future and I may want to purchase a HTT. If I do, there is no way I can tow it with my 4 cyl Tacoma. The van only costs $250 a year to insure so I was thinking of just keeping the van as a 3rd vehicle and maybe use it as a TV if I get a HTT in a few years. I just want to know how much it can tow!!!!

I know there are portal members that always chime in about the towing specs and reference websites and books but I can't find the info for my van.

As for the hitch, I go to a car show and swap meet every year and I see class III hitches all the time for $75-$125. I see alot for F150's. I know the frame is different for a F250 or F350 and that definatly won't work. But I always thought a hitch from a F150 would be interchangable with an E150. Right now I just use the bumper hitch on the van but if I were to use it to tow a HTT I would get a class III.

2. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

If you call your local Ford dealer and give them your VIN, they will tell you what the tow capacity for THAT vehicle, assuming it is still originally equipped, would be.

From looking at part numbers on the Reese web site, the 1993 class lll hitches for the E150 and F150 are different part numbers, so you would have to assume they are not interchangeable.

3. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I'm the new owner of a 1980 E-350 Club Wagon, so I've been looking into this as well.

From what I can find out online, your E-150 with the 5.0 can tow up to 6500lbs with the factory tow package, and up to 4600lbs without it. It would be worth it to check with the Ford dealer to make sure, but at first glance, that's what I've found.

The frame is different from the F-150. At yet another first glance, U-Haul carries a class 3 hitch for your E-150 for about $160. Just to verify, I checked it out, and the E-150 hitch and the F-150 hitch do have different part numbers.

Here's a fun little utility I found online for decoding your VIN number (provided it's the 17 digit VIN number that is now the standard.) Type your E-150's VIN number and it'll track all the RPO codes applicable to that VIN and give you a pretty detailed breakdown on what's in your van - to include a factory tow package.

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

4. Matt O

The only modification we have done to it has been to add leaf springs to the rear because we used to haul a lot of weight in it going to car shows and flea markets. I don't know if I will leave them in because when it is empty it is a rough ride and the rear is really jacked up.

I will have to wait until Saturday to check out the vin. My bro has it in NJ and will bringing it out to PA this weekend.

5. Matt O

Guess what came in the mail yesterday????? The new registration for the van which has the VIN #. I went to that website (thanks alex) which listed all the different things. It didn't list the tow ratings but it was pretty cool.

I was thinking last night I may just leave the extra leafs in. It will help with the tongue weight of anything I get in the future. And when I get a class III hitch I won't have to worry about the bumper height anymore.

I think 4,600 #'s will cover most HTT. If I want a bigger trailer then I'll have to look into a trans cooler and other items that make up the tow package.

6. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

Can't take the credit for the VIN decoding site, Dusty82 gave it to you. I tried it out for my 2006 F150 and it gave me nothing except that info for 2006 was not available. Guess thay don't update very often.

7. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

8. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

Don't know if this affects he frame itself, in relation to using an F-150 hitch, but the whole drivetrain on full sized, ladder framed rear wheel drive vans(at least Fords) is shifted to the right. Look at the rear diff, it is closer to the right wheel than the left.

9. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

The frame is not the same

10. Matt O

Dusty- I apologize, you posted the website...Thanks for the correction Alex.

Storm Trooper- It has 120k miles. I think it is in good condition. My Dad had this as a spare van for 11 years and it averaged only about 4k miles per year going to auctions and flea markets. My bro just took it to LA in January so it has done long distance trip recently.

I was asking about the Hitches and was going to go used 'cause I paid $350 for my draw tite hitch on my 2007 Tacoma. I did not want to spend that kind of money on a hitch. I did some shopping and I see that they are about $150 now. My Tacoma hitch is $115 [:(] I think I will just buy a new class III hitch for it. I was looking at it and the capacity for the hitch seems to be 6,000 pounds. I was looking to see if there was one that was 6500#'s or something since the van could conceivably tow 6,600#'s. I am realizing now.....I'm not going to tow anything that is 6,000#'s with this van so why bother looking for a hitch that has an extra 600# capacity.

Thanks everyone. I now know that the van can handle a HTT if I want. I just need to convince DW that we should get one now [:D]

11. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

No worries Matt.

A class 3 hitch should be plenty for a HTT, depending on how big a HTT you want, that is. If not, a class 4 hitch isn't impossible. It may be overkill, but then again it may not - depends on what you get, you know? Always better to have more than you need than less.

I've never heard anyone complain that their hitch was just too durned strong for their tow load...

Still, if you're looking at an HTT that's over 6000lbs loaded, the hitch is the least of your problems - time for a bigger TV.