How Much Do You Have to Breakdown to Move Sites?

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by Nani2, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We have a site reserved Friday and Saturday next weekend. We wanted to add Sunday but our site is booked. Ones two and three away and across the road are open.
    How much would we have to breakdown to safely move?

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

at the very least close the beds, you will have water and elec. awning etc. to unhook. I assume that the site is really close and you will travel really slow so should not be much of a problem. If you are really careful

3. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

A few years ago, we spent a week on one site, and then moved about 3 sites down the road to a different site for another week. The only thing I did for the move was to push in the front bunk so it wouldn't hit the truck while turning (picture). I drove at a crawl so things didn't get to swaying too much. My wife walked all around the truck and Pup, watching absolutely everything to make sure nothing bad was happening.

20160725_132948.jpg

Last year when we moved clear across the park to spend 2 weeks on a different site, I did the same as in the picture, but I also removed the rear shepherds pole and cranked the roof all the way down so it wouldn't get snagged on any tree branches.

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Big thing is to go very slow and careful. Have someone walk alongside listening - stop if anything sounds questionable and do a complete walk around and careful check before continuing on.

5. epcotisbest

epcotisbest Active Member

I guess I am a bit paranoid, but I personally would not try that out of fear of putting unnecessary stress on the lift system. I'm in the better safe than sorry side and would close it up completely before moving any distance. You, on the other hand have done it without issue, so, what do I know?

Natureangel likes this.
  6. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Wow!! I had figured doing pretty much everything except stuffing canvas in to get the latches to lock. That seems to be our struggle.
    Trying to decide whether to add the night there or try out Gulf Shores State Park. It has open spots.

7. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

I agree with you and LOVE YOUR SCREEN NAME!! My happy place. Got to see Dennis De Young from Styx perform at Garden Rocks last week.

epcotisbest likes this.
  8. epcotisbest

Ooh, that sounds like a good one. We are gonna see WAR in May. We just love the Flower and Garden Festival. Gonna hit both water parks this trip as well.

9. epcotisbest

Fort Pickens in Pensacola is a beautiful place too if you are going to be near there.

10. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

That's where we'll be Friday and Saturday nights. I hate to break down and leave at noon so we'd like to add an extra day.

epcotisbest likes this.
  11. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We'll just miss you. Arriving late the 24th.
    There is a thread of who's going to disney and who's camping at the Fort.
    Flower and Garden is my favorite. The littles are so amazed at the topiaries and if you have little ones they have two playgrounds this year. Our grands love Epcot which thrills me.
    We were at Typhoon Lagoon yesterday. Love the waterparks.

epcotisbest likes this.
  12. epcotisbest

Wow, one of our favorites. We go to Pensacola at least twice per year, to watch the Blue Angels Fly at the Homecoming Show in November, to visit family other times.

13. epcotisbest

We are staying at Saratoga Springs in May, not at the Fort because our camping situation is kinda messed up right now.
    No kids here, we are in our late fifties and have been going to WDW without kids for 30 plus years.
    Sometimes we go and never set foot in a park, but about have to during F&G.
    We too love the topiaries.

6FED0C30-4D25-471A-BB55-A259EC838ADE.jpeg

Nani2 likes this.
  14. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I would lower the the roof. Not sure I would want the weight of the roof and AC unit taking the side stress of movement on just 4 small points on 4+ foot arms. It's mostlikly okay, but I would play it safe.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    epcotisbest likes this.
  15. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I would never move my camper with the roof up. Asking for trouble

epcotisbest and Brett1962 like this.
  16. p

p Active Member

The time difference from lowering the roof to not...is negligible. Lower the roof and put the slides in.

Can you imagine the time you would need to fix what you broke on the move with the roof up and slide out?

epcotisbest likes this.
  17. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We were at Saratoga last week. We have been in DVC 11 years owning Boardwalk and Animal Kingdom which we love both.
    Booked this trip in November and Saratoga was all we could get. We requested Grandstand and Paddock and got Paddock, the building next to the pool. Our littles loved the kid waterplay area they added a few years ago.
    We had a great time at SSR.
    We get annual passes every 3-4 years and go alot then do other things like Disney waterpark annual passes or Sea World/Busch Gardens annual passes but stay at Disney. We'll try the fort after our APs expire. You can't beat staying at Boardwalk and walking or boating to both Epcot and the Studios.

epcotisbest likes this.
  18. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

I planned to lower the roof and take down to that point. I was not sure if we could lower it but not do the clamps on the four corners.

epcotisbest likes this.
  19. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

The few times we have done this we lower until about 10-12 in left so we don’t have to tuck all the canvas in. Bunk ends in.

20. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

DD is getting her wings from the Navy last Saturday of May. We are staying at blue lagoone sp for 5 nights. Then we are off to Punta gorda to see DD 2. We need to figure out.

epcotisbest likes this.