How Much Should The Roof Sway???

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by macjr0420, Aug 10, 2012.

1. macjr0420

macjr0420 New Member

We had our PUP set up at home this week after picking it up last weekend to do some general cleaning and stocking of the items that we know we will need. Being my first PUP I wanted to make sure I was comfortable setting everythig up prior to going on our first trip next weekend. After everything was set up and cleaned my wife and three boys and I spent a few minutes enjoying the PUP. The one thing that I guess was a little unsettling to me was how much the roof was swaying side to side in the wind. Granted it was a windy day with gusts at around 35 MPH, but being new to the PUP world I was wondering if this is normal? And is there anything I can do to minimize this? Thank you all for your help, the site has been a wealth of information!!! :)

2. macjr0420

macjr0420 New Member

Sorry, forgot to clarify:

1993 Jayco 1206 KB

3. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

was your awning set up too?
    our 87 PuP would sway about 1-3 inches side to side. with the awning set up it would sway a bit less, but the weight from it was a factor

4. macjr0420

macjr0420 New Member

No it wasn't. I didnt try to set the awning up with how windy it was being my first time setting up. And I think the roof was moving probably close to three inches side to side. I didnt notice it moving front to back at all

5. stovepipe

stovepipe New Member

I had the same concern but read on here that it's perfectly normal to have some sway. I guess it depends on how much sway you are getting.

6. Buggsee

Buggsee Pop up rebuilder in training

I always use some 2x3's that I cut to length as a roof support when I go camping. My own little safety feature. Those roofs are heavy and held up by 4 cables. Have seen lots of different mods made of PVC as roof safety supports too. We camp at the beach a lot and the wind can be a factor. Better safe than sorry :)

7. FNJ

FNJ New Member

Its normal, and Its a little more scary when your trying to sleep

8. AMomInLove

AMomInLove New Member

Ours always had a small bid of sway within a couple inches on real windy days...sounds normal to me!!

9. Sokokis

Sokokis New Member

My PUP came with some snap on roof supports that help my peace of mind. Even with those my roof sways about 2" in a stiff breeze.