How much vacation time do you have per year?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Indy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I earn about 10 weeks a year. All annual leave. I never take sick days so I accumulate my time. We are able to carry 800+ hours of annual leave. I currently have about 2000 hours in variouse accounts so I can take an entire year off if I wanted. For now, I will have the next three months off. After that, we'll see. But, I have to take at least 10 weeks.

2. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

My shift is a 7-on/7-off shift, so basically, I have every other week off. However, since my wife is in school full time, I usually work a second job during my regular weeks off. The money is good (currently doubling my salary), but it is starting to take a toll on me. I haven't had a day to myself since Christmas.

3. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

I get 6 hrs of vacation time per 2 wk pay period, so it works out to almost 4 weeks. I am required to work at minimum every other weekend. So what I try to do is to take one week (or longer) winter vacation, one week during the summer, and long weekends as available. My schedule is flexible, that if I do need a few days off during the week, I can just work other days. DH on the other hand, is a commissioned saleman. So he doesn't get vacation days, per say. As one of the top salesmen, his boss is pretty flexible, he doesn't really care when my husband takes off, as long as he keeps up his sales. The only problem is, that when my husband doesn't work, he doesn't get sales, so he'll often call customers while he is off.

4. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

More than I can use that's for sure. 5 weeks vacation. Sick leave is piling up since I never use that. 10 holidays, 2 personal floating holidays and a TON of comp time. My weeks are usually 50-60 hours. During camping season I put together lots of 4 and 5 day weekends. Usually only about a week completely off the work grid though. Can't wait for retirement - 6 years!

5. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Dang, boys and girls; I'm jealous of some of y'all. We have an increasing scale that pays vacation time every month (no sick leave; it's all the same). 1st year = 3hrs/mo, 2nd year = 5, 3rd = 6, 4th = 7, and 5th = 10. We are allowed to accumulate 8 weeks time after which we either use it or lose it. I've been here 26 years and have the max accumulated, but my wife teaches, so I have to wait until summer to use any. Bummer; I've been losing time for months now. We also get 6 national holidays a year; New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

And even though I don't own the business, I'm a divisional manager, so I don't feel like I can leave it behind when I'm not at work. I take email and text off camping with me......

**sigh** I can only wait until retirement. 17 years, 3 months, 25 days, 7 hours, 29 minutes, 32 seconds, 31, 30, 29, 28, ....................

6. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

1 week, 2 sick days, 1 PTO. I've been at my job just a little over two years. Next February, I qualify for 2 weeks vacation. Then it will be nice to schedule one whole week at a time, plus some long weekends.

I envy some of the 4+ weeks some of you have!

7. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

8 days, i work for each week. so i try to set up 6, four day weekends. may june aug sept october

8. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

I get just shy of 3 weeks vacation and 4 personal days. But I've learned to game the system. I get 10 holidays, but if you work your full 80 hours in a pay period that contains a holiday the 8 holiday hours aren't pulled. So I often do more hours on holiday pay periods to use those days for other things, like camping.

9. dak2

dak2 Member

Used to have 5 weeks NOW I have 52 weeks [LOL]

Don [8]

10. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Teacher and married to a teacher. We work long hours when school is in session, but summers, spring break, and Christmas mean camping time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

11. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

Four and half weeks here, I earn a day a year. started with 2 weeks .

cheers
    A

12. Sam III

Sam III New Member

Alrighty, my partners and I just figured it up.... Before comp time we are given 9 weeks a year. I have accrued just over 4 weeks of comp time so far this year.

I love my job!!!

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I've been a homemaker for years - long enough that I get classified as "retired" about half the time, when I need to state my job.
    ETA: For a many years, I did a lot of volunteer work for both church and quilt guild, there were some weeks that was more than 40 hours between the two (funny, they didn't coordinate to make it easier on me/us :)). That meant I was obligated to be home when those "jobs" needed to be done. Last year, we gave up the last of the major scheduled church stuff (we still do a bunch, but most is not needed to be done at xyz time) and this year, the last major task for quilt guild. That means I can get solo trips, camping or not, in a bit easier now.

DH gets about 3 weeks a year, which begins Oct.1. They don't get most of the Monday holidays off, that time appears between Christmas and New Year's. That's when I usually get the mid-winter camping withdrawal, but the weather doesn't cooperate most years.
    DH also works a "9/80" schedule, so has every other Friday off, we use that to extend vacation time. For instance, we head to Grand Canyon later this month, using one day of vacation for a 4-day weekend. That's helpful, since there aren't a lot of places that we like to camp less than 5-8 hours away; the nearest is about 2. [We have one tentative weekend planned in June, where I'll go mid-week and he'll drive up after work on Thursday, so we have 2 full days to hike - that all assumes the forests are open, not very likely unless we get enough moisture before then.]

14. rsb201

rsb201 New Member

I have 4 weeks plus tons of comp build up. The problem is, my wife only get 2 !!!! [:(]

15. smoreking

smoreking Member

I work 60 hrs every week, work holidays if they fall on my regular schedule (I've worked at some point every holiday except Christmas Day), have no official breaks or lunches (usually eat while driving or unloading), occasionally get calls and complaints on my off time. I currently get 15 days paid at a slightly lesser rate than a full work day. I've been hauling fuel as a "lead driver" (do regular driver job plus held accountable for four other drivers at my location and our trucks) for 7 years at this company. Was looking forward to getting 6 more days after 10th year, but the way things are going lately GREED will likely dictate that we don't deserve more. I just got my bonus cut two days ago. Sad as it sounds, its still the best job I've had in 20 years of work.....Sorry, had to vent a little

16. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

22 days (4 weeks + 2 floating holidays). 10 company holidays.

I used to have about a week more, but I'm in year 3 of a new job.

17. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

4 weeks!
    Plus I work a lot of evenings and weekends and can take time off in lieu... so many three day weekends for camping... providing I do not have to work them! [PU]

18. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I am retired and DW has 8 weeks.....happy...happy...happy

19. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

3 weeks plus 3 days. This year though I have 3 weeks of rolling layoffs... not being paid stinks but I'll definitely use some of the extra time for camping!

20. TAlger

TAlger Member

I get 3 weeks of vacation and 10 more days off. I don't have to take them all in a week format, so really it I'd a bank of about 25 days. Already we do a lot of Friday to Monday trips. I already have 11 days committed for camping reasons. 5 for one whole week and then another 6 for there weekend trips.