How much water do you shower with?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by mickaqua, Nov 4, 2013.

1. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

At home, a lot of folks use maybe 25 to 40 gallons of water to shower.
    Well, this is just an estimate. [;)]

What I am wondering about is how many gallons of water are used by folks who use their rv shower.
    I am wondering if any decrease in water usage is difficult to make, and about the waste tank.
    I don't have an rv shower, and am curious about this in case of another rv purchase. [?]

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Probably just a couple of gallons. I get wet, turn it off, wash and then do a quick rinse.

3. camp dad

camp dad New Member

I will preface this by stating that we have an "evil" TT, Haha. We have a 6 gal. water heater. We can typically take 3, 10 minute showers and give the little guys a bath without completely running out of hot water. I think our grey tank has a 27 gallon compacity. I dont know the per minute gallon flow but I can check this this coming weekend while camping.

4. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

As U.T. said, the best way to do it is by limiting your usage. I can shower every day in the Roo for 4 days with 36 gallons of water and still have 3/4 tank by the time I leave. I have run the water heater down doing dishes before, but never by showering.

5. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I have a class C with 35 Fresh and 20 Grey, 15 Black. Taking an RV shower is different than at home. In an RV there is a knob on the hand held shower to turn it on and off. I have a 3 gpm water pump. I estimate it is on for 2-3 minutes top. I can take 3 showers and give my son a bath on our water tank. I can last a weekend with minimal dishes and hand washing.

You get wet, shut it off. Soap up and then turn it on and rinse off.

6. Roadlesstraveled

Roadlesstraveled New Member

We have only a 20 gallon fresh water tank and I just added a 1gpm pump I picked up super cheap years ago to transfer H20 from a 30 gallon barrel. This was the first summer for us with a camper and we have a tankless water heater and shower tent we have not put to use yet. So far we have set up in areas with shower house but next year we will be setting up without that luxury. Cant wait to (rough it) with a tankless heater. Years past we camped in Colorado (wife, myself, and two teenage daughters. I had built water heater for the Camp Chef stove. all of us would shower on 30 gallons.

7. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

We only have 12 gal of grey water and typically have to empty daily. However this is 3 showers and dishes, so given that we maybe use 3 gallons of water or so each.

8. RetAF

RetAF Member

Based upon how often I have to empty the external tote that collects the shower water, we average about two gallons per shower. We use the get wet, soap up, rinse off technique.

9. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

With the standard shower head that came on our Aliner we would use about 6 gallons of water/shower. With our new Oxygenics shower head, we only use about 3-4 gallons each. This is important to us as we only have a 10 gallon fresh water tank and no gray tank. We carry 2 - 6 gallon blue totes to catch our gray water. We just swap them out after each shower and empty them in one trip, as it's easier on the back to carry 2 half-full totes than one full one. This shower head allows us to conserve propane too. With the thermostat of our 6 gallon Suburban heater up all the way, we allow it to get hot and shut off the gas when we hear it kick off. This gives us just enough hot water for 2 Navy style showers: wet down, turn off water, soap up, rinse off.

Chip

10. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

It depends. If full hookups, about 8-12 gallons or until the water starts getting cold, if using the holding tank 2-3 gallons.

11. dcel

dcel New Member

This is a great topic. I am very curious about this too. We just got our first HTT with a hot water heater (PUP didnt have hot water). I don't know how many gallons of hot water it holds, min 6 seems to be average size. I hope we can conserve with the wet/soap/rinse technique.

12. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

You can shower 4 people with the 6 gallon heater 30/30/30 tanks. conserve or you will have to refill/dump gray in the middle of Saturday afternoon, We wash dishes at the state park sinks.