How much weight can a roof hold

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by mouse6196, Oct 13, 2013.

1. mouse6196

mouse6196 New Member

We just made the jump from our pop-up to a hybrid that is practically new. I want to clean the EDPM (rubber roof) on the trailer just to keep up on the maintenance. I have never done this before but do have the proper cleaner and soft brushes to do the job. My question is...the dealer here says just go up on the roof using a ladder and start to clean. Can these roofs really hold the weight of a grown man? are they really that strong? I would have never gone on the roof of my pop up even though I've seen people do that also. What are your thoughts? This is a 19 foot hybrid trailer?

Thanks

2. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

If your dealer can't give you an actual number for the weight limit, I'd call the factory customer service dept. I'm sure it's a commonly asked question. The few people I know with TTs have climbed on their roofs for repair/maintenance with no issues.

BTW, Coleman/Fleetwood PUPs have a weight limit of 300 lbs CLOSED so you could climb up on one of those if you don't have A/C. Whatever your limit, it'd be a good idea to use a couple of partial sheets of plywood to distribute your weight over a larger area. Using two 1/2 sheets is a lot easier than using one full one.

3. 77starmaster

77starmaster New Member

He probably meant to lean a ladder, step stool etc. on the side and use a brush with a long handle. That's how I do it. I do load my roof with kayaks but the weight is transferred to the sides where its stronger. All the roof is aluminum covered plywood and it will only hold so much before it bends then the seals will fail.

[​IMG]