How much weight can you add.....?

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Chris Hoback, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Chris Hoback

Chris Hoback New Member

How much weight can you add or put another way, how much weight can a pop up lift system handle. Maybe the crappy OEM construction is solely due to weight. Considering how much water was being held in the old failed top, I can’t imagine my new one being that much heavier. But I am using a lot of wood.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Seems you have it under control ....good luck

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  3. Chris Hoback

Chris Hoback New Member

I have a winch lift system and AC. Why does everyone think AC is so heavy? I can pick the thing up. Its got to be 50 lbs max.

4. Chris Hoback

Chris Hoback New Member

upload_2020-2-9_12-34-8.jpeg

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Because in my manual it says they are 110 lbs. This will very on the year made. A window unit made today is much lighter then one made 20 years ago. I believe it stated max roof weight for stuff also. But that was for carrying stuff not nessassarly leving it on the roof when lifting it.

6. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

My dad rebuilt the roof on my 97 dutchman. It is significantly heavier than the original. Original was covered in that pebble texture sheeting. New roof is non-woven fiberglass...all the resin makes it heavy. I can definitely feel the difference in weight cranking up. It stresses me out sometimes. But I have yet to have any issues with the lift system, so far it is handling it. I guess I will just keep going until the day it no longer handles it! (and always use the safety props around the lift arms).
    So, that's not a technical answer, but a very basic one, from experience.

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have the Coleman Mach 8 low profile AC unit and it only weighs 90 Lbs. After we had it installed I can feel the difference when cranking it up. Now as for rebuilding the roof with heavier materials I certainly make sure all the cables are in good shape!