how much wind???

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Beth, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Beth

Beth Member

Spent the weekend at a local campground with friends...it was a great time...although "camping weather" didn't arrive until last night....that's ok though....anyway, we pulled home and unhooked and I popped the camper back up to finish cleaning, repack, and purge things we probably don't need to take.

My question is, it's pretty windy here in camp backyard this evening....how much wind is "too much" to leave popped up in?? I was hoping to keep it popped up a couple days, but don't want to look outside and see a damaged camper in the yard....

Thanks
    Beth

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Mine has survived 65-75 mph.

3. Kutseena

Kutseena Running with the wolves

[:)C] We live in New Mexico and our winds are horrible in the spring. This June we had gust to 70 mph and they snap my shepards pole. I had to replace it.

4. kreich

kreich Member

In my tent pup we went through 60-65mph. In my A Frame so far we have been in 60 plus but have wind kit and that helped.

5. radscj7

radscj7 New Member

Mine has stayed intact and upright in 70 mph winds.

6. bruceac1

bruceac1 Member

Mine had no problems in the 65 mph winds, but when it was hit with a 80-85 mph gust, the front bunk caused a lift. The result was the tongue end of pup being lifted about a foot, and the whole thing shifted three feet to the right, and it dropped about 18" into the dirt. No one was inside the pup when it happened, it was just setup in the backyard, and no one was outside, we just heard the wind when it rattled the rest of the house. We immediately took it down, but noticed after setting it up on the concrete slab that the curbside wall leans outward above the hinge (Palomino hardside pup) enough that the door binds when it is open. It seems that there is now a 5* list to the upper section of the wall. Not quite sure how to fix it, yet.

7. robctry69

robctry69 New Member

5* do mean 5" if so thats a preety good amount can you set it up and push it back into shape

8. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

For the one who have a aframe camper what is a wind kit ??

9. RonB

RonB New Member

We had a 70's vintage Starcraft PUP that withstood 60+ mph gusts twice several years ago. Not fun but it came through like a champ.

RonB

10. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

We camped on the Eastern side of the front range of the Rockies last summer and our pup survived sustained 30 mph winds with gusts to 40 mph. No damage at all. We left the canopy stowed to prevent damage.