How not to start your first camping trip/experience

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Sneezer, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Mitchell Porter

Mitchell Porter Member

I'm smart enough to admit that I don't know everything. So if somebody is explaining something like this to me, I pull out my phone and film it for later reference.

2. Mitchell Porter

Mitchell Porter Member

Show of hands....how many people here have owned a camper that cost less than 1700 dollars? I got my little popup for 500 bucks and have spent about 200 on repairs and upgrades.

StlAnnie and Chrismtl like this.
  3. rover rob

rover rob Member

try backing up a apache eagle any more than a 16th of a inch turn of the wheel that thing will jackknife. I have to straighten it up several times to get it in place. ( or I just get pissed and unhook it and move it by hand )

4. Family Travels

Family Travels Member Gold Supporting Member

I clearly don't know everything about my pup but I do know if it's going to be cold, I better make heat my priority. Plus, I think I would ask for help from a neighbor if I had a heat issue like him.

Chrismtl likes this.
  5. penny

penny Well-Known Member

All I could think of, between rolling my eyes, was “I will never rent out my camper”

kitphantom and neighbormike like this.
  6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I paid 500 for my camper with a broken cable. In the 8 years that I have been using the camper I have put less than 300 into the camper including tires.

7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

This. He's gotten a lot of clicks that he otherwise wouldn't have by playing the "incompetent.

Had he just written "I rented a van and took it on a weekend road trip. It was really pretty basic to understand how everything worked. After the weekend, I decided I wouldn't want to give up my apartment for the van life."

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I think there are a lot people that bought there first camper last year that the fantasy I not aligning with reality.

I was talking with one that bought a motor home. They said they thought they were going to use it more. They were not doing the amount of weekend camping they expected.

firepit likes this.
  9. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Ah hah...And there it is...We bought our first camper and never used it as much as we thought.
    Im holding firm and saying less than 50% of newcomers stick with it.
    Camping take some effort and passion and dedication....and too many like the idea until they discover what it involves and cant get past how much actual effort it is...its work if you don't love it.

10. RonDad

RonDad New Member

Did I read in there that he has spent a year covering van camping life?! As a journalist? Impossible to be that disconnected from reality. :)

11. RonDad

RonDad New Member

So this guy didn’t know it would be cold to sit outdoors (eating “dinner”) in the winter in New Jersey?

I couldn’t finish the article. I wish media sites could use that as metric vs number of clicks.

12. Marc&Laura

Marc&Laura New Member

This story was hysterical especially the line "As I ate my Wendy's Chicken Nuggets, I shivered" ...haha! As someone who grew up camping in my Grandpa's old army tent in Oregon and Northern California I only knew of cold camping at night wearing many layers. I continued tent camping until I turned 40 and was over sleeping on uneven ground. Bought a TT and being a newbie was overwhelmed by trying to figure out all the mechanical/electrical parts of it so I do feel his pain about not understanding how everything works. Never once could we get the hot water pilot light to work properly, fridge issues, shower pressure weak...etc...etc. We downsized to our current Pup which only has lights which we hardly use since we mostly dry camp. We have propane for our stove and that's pretty much it. We found we totally prefer a much simpler camp setup utilizing lanterns, cooking outside, water jugs, roto molded coolers, bucket loo and solar power banks to charge our phones and speakers for music. It works for us:)

13. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Active Member

that was pathetic. i couldn't make it half way thru the article. he didn't try to do anything. wth was he thinking? just sad.

14. Toedtoes

It is really a "it's what we like and are comfortable with", but none of it is more difficult than any other. For the time I spend on lighting the fridge and water heater, you spend setting up the camp kitchen. For the time you spend setting up the toilet tent, I spend dumping the black and grey tanks. It's different, but not more complicated.

This article tries to justify the idea that RVs are complicated. They aren't. There isn't a lot of skill required to plug a cord into a pedestal for power, etc. If you don't like it, then no biggy. But it's not any more difficult than setting up a tent and camp kitchen.

Susan Premo and Indiobravo like this.
  15. Marc&Laura

Marc&Laura New Member

16. Marc&Laura

Marc&Laura New Member

Totally get what you're saying regarding preference although keep in mind there is a learning curve to a fully loaded RV that generally isn't figured out on your maiden voyage. Regarding your comment about "there is no difficulty plugging in to pedestal power" I believe you missed the part that we primarily dry camp in dispersed areas and more rustic campgrounds that don't provide power. I promise you we know how to plug in power and are not afraid to use it...haha.

Susan Premo likes this.
  17. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Lol...the wendys chicken nuggets were funny!.
    Throw a pot of chili on grab a cold one and suck it up

Marc&Laura likes this.
  18. Toedtoes

I was referring to the article and his failure to plug in when he was at a campsite with power. I wasn't suggesting you didn't know how to hook up to power. ;)

Most people don't figure out everything with tent camping over a maiden voyage either. Think of all the folks who freeze their first night out because they didn't understand sleeping bag ratings or how to set up a rain fly, etc. Or the tent that wasn't staked down and went for a roll. Or collapsed during the night. Most things take a few tries to learn and several to master.

Marc&Laura likes this.
  19. Marc&Laura

Marc&Laura New Member

Oh good, sorry for misinterpreting your plug in comment! It would be pretty ridiculous to sit there complaining about a dead phone battery and lack of light when you have an outlet at the campground just waiting for you to plug in. No matter what kind of camping I have done either tent, TT, PUP, beach, VW Campervan...etc I always have at a minimum a flashlight and a headlamp. That's just common sense which clearly the author didn't have.

Toedtoes likes this.
  20. SouthJerseyCamper

SouthJerseyCamper New Member