how often do you camp?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by hawk232, Aug 2, 2012.

1. hawk232

hawk232 New Member

not how many days per year, but how often?? we have a trip planned this weekend and another one for the 24-26. we just got our pup a week and a half ago, but i feel like we are slacking!! [LOL]

2. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

I can't really answer the way you want me to... with our schedules, the kids schedules we may camp 3 weekends out of 4. then go 6 weeks and camp once more, then a month and then 2-3 times. We haven't winter camped so there is a long stretch of inactivity.

We mostly camp 3 day weekends because my husband has every other Friday off of work. Anytime there is a Monday holiday, then we try to do a longer weekend.

3. packofwises

packofwises New Member

Not as much as I would like too. If I could figure out how to back the darn thing up, the kids and I would go more often. Leaving DH at home. LOL

4. stovepipe

stovepipe New Member

I too just got my pup. I'm hoping at a bare minimum we will be able to camp one weekend per month year round. I've been thinking about how we can change up our usual holiday travel (to family around the state) plans such that we can get some camping in around Thanksgiving and Christmas. The wife just got a new job that has her working some weekends so that adds additional complexity to planning. I think we should be able to go about twice a month, for 2 or 3 nights per trip. Luckily most of the state parks in TN don't take reservations so I don't have to worry about nailing down specific dates ahead of time.

Of course, on the weekends when we can't go to a campground I will probably be camping in the backyard! Popping her up tomorrow for the 2nd weekend of camp backyard.

5. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

Not enough...would like to do it full time

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I usually take one long trip (6-10 weeks) every year, a two-week trip and about four or five 3-5 day trips. Being retired gives me a lot of flexibility.

7. Wildwoodflower77

Wildwoodflower77 Member

We just bought ours in June (my birthday present [:D]) and so far we've camped in the driveway twice (my daughter loves it) two weekends in a row, then waited two weeks and went to a State Park, then waited two weeks and went to a county park now waiting until the 16th of this month to go for 4 days. We'd like to go every third week for at least 2 days as time and funds allow. Thankfully we're in Florida so camping is a year round event for us (at least it was in our tent :))

8. Jade

Jade New Member

We'll be taking our third trip this weekend. We just bought at the very end of June. It's still not enough for us but what can you do? :) Our 2nd trip was 4nights/5days, this will be two nights. Summer schedules are harder. DH has had a couple scout camps in there as well so we haven't gone as much as we would like. Ideal for us would be at least once a month but I'm not sure we can manage that come winter and snow. Maybe we'll just make up those months in other trips. I'm already trying to think of when our next trip will be but school is starting soon for the kiddos.

9. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

Our camping season here in upstate NY is from late April to mid October. We try to do at least one trip a month. most of them are about 6 days. The last trip in September or October being 10 to 14 days.

10. hammer1234

hammer1234 New Member

Not often enough...can't seem to get out unless school is out (have done it but it isn't easy) so our season is short. We shoot for 3-4 trips a season with one trip that has 3 overnights. Have a trip planned for this weekend and another one two weeks later.

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Once a month would be great, but seldom works out. We use DH's alternate Fridays off to extend weekends and vacations, and I sometimes take a solo trip.
    This year, DH used a bit more vacation doing other things, so we've only had 2 week-long trips so far, one in May, the other July. We'll get another trip, just under a week, around Labor Day. We only do holiday weekends if we can be far enough from towns that we are less likely to encounter a party atmosphere and what we term the "casual camper" - those who make camping less than fun for most of their fellow campers. (North rim of Grand Canyon worked well for Memorial Day, Labor Day we'll be 30 or so miles from the nearest actual town.)
    Vacation year begins again Oct. 1, so we have a trip to Grand Canyon on the books for Oct. So far, I have not had a chance to get out solo; it is looking not likely for this month, and Sept. is a bit iffy too.

ETA: In general, our camping season has run from April to early Nov. The pup helps extend that, the snowstorm at Grand Canyon would have been hideous in a ground tent, or without heat in the pup.

12. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

Our camping window in Oregon for me is a short one. Depending on other travel plans we try to go for 1 weekend a month June - September. We have been know to squeeze in a trip in May! Mostly all but one of our trips are for 2 nights, I always try to make our August trip 3 nights.

Some years we have only ended up camping 6 nights a year, another year can be as many as 12 nights!

I sometimes wish it was more [;)]

13. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

6 weekends in a row, this weekend will be seven and have the eighth booked.
    Depends on whether we go long trips (week or more) or short trips but we use ours as often as possible. I'd go some where every week end but seems other things get in way.

14. Hawks

Hawks Member

This is our first year with the pup. We have already gone 3 times this year and have 4 more times booked until the end of the season (October).

When we bought it, we said we go around 5 times per year. Being the first year, it's not surprising that we'll have used it at least 7 times this year :)

15. singledad

singledad New Member

When I am able to get mine, I would like to go every weekend while DS is in school and all week every week the rest of the time if I have the $ to do so.

16. newbiedd

newbiedd New Member

This is our first full Summer with our PUP we have only missed 3 weekends since the beginning of May.
    Living in Alaska the summers are short and you have to make the most of it while you can :)
    [CP]

17. Lauren5280

Lauren5280 Member

We camp most every weekend in the summer. We're thinking of heading south in the fall to help extend the camping season. It really is our home away from home.

18. rjniles

rjniles Active Member

We do 5-6 trips of 3-4 days per year plus a 2 week trip to Florida in the winter. Our short trips are within 150 miles of home.

19. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Last year, we averaged a trip a month during the spring through fall. Each trip averaged 3-4 days. This year, we have been blessed with twin grandsons and had promised to help our DD and her DH with the boys, so our camping has been very limited.

That said, we will be at the Georgia - Fall Rally as well as the Florida Rally at O'Leno this year. Maybe we can sneak in some more short trips as well now that the grandsons are approaching 3 month old.

20. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Every season is different for us; this year has been little in the way of camping due to my wife being pregnant and then ultimately the birth of our DS 2.0 a few weeks ago. Usually, we get out quite often, even if it's just a couple of nights over a weekend in the mountains to do a little fishing and get some R&R in. I would say, generally speaking, we get away at least 2 weekends a month from May - October; we like to throw in at least one longer trip annually...for us, a longer trip is anything 4 nights or more. It can be difficult to really do long trips right now with work schedules and other obligations...plus, we also like to take our regular vacations and we also have family scattered about the states and abroad that we're always running around to see.