how often do you camp?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by hawk232, Aug 2, 2012.

1. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

According to DW, too many times. [:(] About 8 to 10 times a year.

2. popup4five

popup4five New Member

We've only gone once so far [:O]. Have our campsites reserved for Labor Day weekend (staying 3 nights) but hoping to go for a night or two before then.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

A couple of things limit our camping, too. For one, there aren't many places we are interested in camping nearer than 2 hours away, and the places we most often camp are 4-8 hours drive. That pretty much limits it to 4 day weekends, or longer.
    We're pretty involved at church, and somehow, DH's Friday off often seems to coincide with the week bell choir plays, so that takes those weekends off the camping calendar.

4. itfchaos

itfchaos New Member

Not even close to enough. I actually only had the p'up out once this summer (lot of back yard camping though). I'm glad my house and property is nested up against a 35 acer lake in the middle of no where. Plus I have two more lakes on my property so I have several homemade areas to "camp" overnight in the woods on the weekend. If I didn't have that I would go crazy.

However with all that said, I am leaving Monday for a 3 night stay. We usually try to go about 4 times a year (spring, 2 summer, fall).

5. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

Trying to go at least one weekend a month [PUC] [TV]

6. Camp Addict

Camp Addict Member

Living in Southern California allows us to go year around. We try to get out at least once a month. We also spend the weeks of Thanksgiving and Christmas & New Years somewhere. Still doesn't feel like enough though. When our DD goes off to college, we plan on spending a year on the road.

7. pony280

pony280 Pony 280

At least 30 days per year. And that is not enough -- but someday, when we retire ...

8. Tyreguy

Tyreguy Member

My schedule only allows every-other-weekend opportunities. But, between the brutally hot summer we've had so far, plus family obligations (DW is from a BIG family), we haven't been out as much as I'd like. I would love to able to get out at least once a month through the spring/summer/fall. We just can't seem to make that happen so far this year. But we have gotten two good weekends in so far...so I'm happy!
    We got 3 good trips in last year, which being new pup owners was most excellent!

9. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

We managed to get out 5 times including the July 1 weekend then due to other obligations - kids sports we had a bit of a dry spell. So hot and dry here with a fire ban and the parks are so crowded, we won't likely pick it up again until our 5 day camping trip to Wellesely Island on labour day. September and October until Canadian Thanksgiving are our favourite times to get out anyway.

10. Brate

Brate Bravado!

We are aiming for 1 weekend a month during the spring/summer/fall or at least 5 times a year. Now we just moved into a new house so that screwed up the last 3 months of camping for us but we are starting up again this Month (August).

11. daveman

daveman Member

Having just got the new PUP in late June, we've done 2 full weeks in July with another full week at the end of August booked. Being in sales, I'm also able to zip out to a client Friday morning and be in a weekend spot by Friday PM...so at least 2 weekends in August as well.

Also already booked for thanksgiving weekend (Canadian...LOL early October) to give the furnace a workout :)

Dave

12. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

With my on-call schedule being what it is (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off), I try to get out at least one of the weekends I'm not on-call. I'm heading out next weekend for a 2 night trip. I'm also trying to schedule one for the end of the month before the kids go back to school. Once fall gets here, I'm going to try to do trips on both weekends that I'm not on-call, if finances permit [:D]

[PUC] [TV]

13. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Since the camping season here in TX is year round, we go once a month. [8D]

14. Rick Kelley

Rick Kelley Member

Interesting question and even better responses. We used to camp (tent) between 3 and 5 times a season. DW isn't into winter tent camping so that excludes about 1/2 of the year in MN. Since getting our PU in April, we have been out 6 times and have 4 more planned. The heater and the heated mattresses :) have extended our season to include April and October. Being retired helps us to get into the SPs on weekdays so we usually camp Tuesday to Friday. No reservations needed, so last minute "Lets go" works. The campgrounds are virtually empty with only 2 or 3 other campers in our loop. [:D]. Just got back from Wild River campground after a 4 night 5 day trip. No Rain [:O]....to speak of, sprinkles on 2 nights and the temps were not too hot. I am amazed that the weekdays don't bring more retired campers to the campgrounds. Best kept secret out there. Why don't more people camp on the weekdays?

15. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Unless I'm on a multi-week trip I avoid camping on weekends and stick to weekdays. I agree: it's great. There is plenty of room and it's quiet most of the time. I usually go on Monday and return Thursday evening so I miss the traffic of the weekenders going out Friday evening.

16. TentOnWheelsTX

TentOnWheelsTX New Member

We'd looove to camp out during the week, but we've got that J.o.b. thing that prevents it. Only another 30 years, and we'll be full-time campers.

Got the Pup in March (for my birthday, too!) and took it out every other weekend till May. Then closed it down for the summer (in Texas, we camp fall-winter-spring) and currently have a weekend every month booked from the end of September thru
    January!!

And it's just not enough!

17. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I remember having a j.o.b. and I'm so much happier now that I don't. I worked hard to retire early and have loved it from the day I walked out of that highrise office tower in downtown Seattle. There are people who say that they are concerned about retiring because they wouldn't know what to do with their time. These are people I like to call "messed up." I am so busy that I can't get everything done that I want. The key thing, though, is that now I get to allocate my time to the things I'm interested in and accomplish them on my own schedule instead of doing stuff I really don't care about on someone else's schedule.

18. singledad

singledad New Member

Very true U T , It's what you want to do, when you want to do it.

19. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

every chance I get and no where near enough....7 trips so far for 24 days, 3 more trips planned

20. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

We got our new PUP in May. I have to work everyother weekend. I work nights, so usually on my weekend off I work until 8 a.m. Friday a.m. and got back at 1130 p.m. I have been asking to take Thursday night off taking a 3 day weekend, but I'm only getting that everyother weekend I'm off. Therefore, we've been camping every 4th weekend.