How often do you use it?

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Beckiec4, Sep 27, 2011.

1. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

We use our fridge and sink every trip out too.

2. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

This old starcraft we have has a sink big enough that we gave our 3 year old a sit down tubby in it .

I think I will make a drop in cutting board to go over it .

3. Bama Camper1

Bama Camper1 New Member

every trip out. Use the sink all the time now that the hot water heater is fixed. Get the fridge cold fast by putting our frozen water bottles in it. As we take them out to drink we just put other stuff in.

4. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

I need to do that. Do you have pics?

5. Beckiec4

Beckiec4 New Member

I didnt think of that!
    Out with the itsy bitsy..in with the double...! [:D]

6. Beckiec4

Beckiec4 New Member

Hey Everyone, thank you so much for the replies, I read everything to my husband, decision made. storage space, where fridge/cooler thing is....and double sink with electric pump...Great idea with the conversion counter over the top, Out with the stove to, I dont see where Id ever feel safe with that old thing....

YOU ALL ROCK! THANK YOU SO MUCH! [:D]

What a wonderful group of people here!

7. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

We have a 87 Jayco 1008 here, we only camp at CGs with power and water, so we use both the mini fridge and coolers. As for the sink, we only use it to wash our hands. Otherwise dishes and the rest are done outdoors.

8. raymonk

raymonk New Member

We like to use coolers, because this gives us the option of changing the size and brand to adapt to our needs. On the other hand having a sink that we can hook up to the outside water source proves to be just as necessary to use as is our sink at home. Now I once had the pump type that I used in a van conversion, which was totally useless.

9. mspontiac

mspontiac Member

Our fridge was added to the camper before we bought it but I know it isn't the stock unit. It's a small dorm-size unit that is fantastic and actually starts to freeze stuff over a couple of days. I keep forgetting to turn in down. We use it for half gallons of milk or cider, and also for meats or other items that we don't want floating in ice water in the cooler. We also keeps things in it that we may snack on indoors. We keep soda and water in the cooler outside.

The sink is worthless to us. We wash our dishes in dishtubs outside and we wash our hands/face at the showerhouse. For quick hand washings at other times I use germicidal hand rubs and a wet hand towel.

10. jasf

jasf New Member

Our '94 Destiny didn't come with a fridge/ice box & the sink,freshwater tank were the 1st things to go. We find the storage space much more useful.

11. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

We've always figured, "We have it so we'll use it." A little inconvenient to get to the fridge door to start pre-cool if we didn't want to pop up ahead of the trip but we did it as needed but not on all trips. The first PUP sink was small, second bigger and now the HTT has a full size kitchen sink.

12. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

For me, the greatest luxury of the popup (other than the beds) is having the sink for handwashing. It is too small for anything else yet that simple convenience is a genuine step above tent camping and having to tip a water jug.

I do use the refer but could easily do without it.

13. hakrjak

hakrjak Member

The sink for hand washing is an absolute must. Especially when camping at 'grounds with primitive pit vault style toilets and no running water!

Using our fridge was something I had to get used to, but now we put all the food in there and the cooler holds only beer, soda, and cocktails. I've had the fridge shut off on me a couple of times while on propane, but I found that by putting a couple of frozen blue ice in there at the beginning of a trip, I don't worry so much anymore. More often than not it's too cold!

If you have an ice box, why not use it? Fill a milk carton with water and freeze it prior to your trip for free ice!

14. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

I really like my sink, but it was a bit small, especially the counter top around it. So I rebuilt it and added extra counter top work area. See http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=51631.msg402325#msg402325 I have a hot water heater so I fill the sink part way with hot soapy water. I wash a bunch then rinse. I have a grey busboy tub with my dish drain rack to dry the dishes. I can usually do all the dishes without overflowing the sink. The new one (trying out this weekend) is about 15% deeper than the old and the faucet MUCH higher!

I like the fridge (did the fan mods, too) but my first long haul, I loaded it with frozen water jugs, frozen meat/chicken and milk. Unfortunately, it popped open in transit and dumped everything on the floor. The food was still frozen but the milk had to be chucked (it got way away from the frozen stuff). Lesson learned, my latch was broken and just to carry everything in a cooler until set up.

15. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We use our fridge regularly. It cools down in just a couple of hours and uses very little propane. Still carry a cooler for ice for mixed drinks though.

Never use the inside sink.

16. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Ever since Camping World flooded mine by hooking up a unregulated hose to it, I've basically been afraid to even TRY to use the water. I know the fill hose to the tank is shot, but no worries there. The mechanic said when he turned the water on, it went everywhere, but "he got it all". He didn't. Anyway, after years of tent camping with 3gal jugs of water, I kind of still use that method. I take one case of bottled water for me (easy to use sport bottles I can open easily), and the other jugs for everything else. I've considered just using the sink for draining stuff, but even then I then have a hose that might end up with 'stuff' in it from the old coffee or milk growing, and stink. I'm fairly sure the sink will end up going away. Right now, I lay my cutting board over it and sit a water jug on there and it's all good. :)

The fridge, I HAVE to have!! My legs aren't 'good' and can't go in and out all the time for stuff. On real bad days, I use a small cooler inside for drinks & snacks. I've also learned the lesson on just how fussy a fridge can be when you're .000128 inches out of level!! [LOL]

I also have a cooler drawer in mine, under the gaucho couch. A short time ago, I started a thread to get opinions on whether the cooler drawer was worth trusting not to leak or condensate underneath and rot my floor out!! I didn't get good reviews, so it has been and will remain a storage drawer. I might even take the insulation out and just make it a 'formal' drawer. But last trip out (still haven't written that recon up yet), I took my largest dog with me, and he'd had knee surgery about a month before that, I found out just how useless the cooler drawer IS, because the dog crashed on the couch (pulled out) during the day and sometimes at night, which meant I could NOT access the drawer's contents anyway. So decision definitely made. [A]

If I remove my sink and replace it with a standard height counter top, that whole side will be uniform and I won't have to fold the sink over, which will give me valuable inches inside to store stuff on the way! I'm thinking of the 10x10 canopy, but I think that's wishful thinking. [;)]

[:D]

17. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

We use fridge and sink every trip. Usually go to CGs without a bath house, meaning just pit toilets. On longer trips, freezer packs in coolers are spent and fridge picks up the slack.

18. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

If their ice box is anything like mine, it is pretty useless. A real cooler does a much better job of keeping things cold, at least in the case of mine.

19. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

Sounds like a good plan, Beckie. :)

20. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

We camp too much in bear country so we do not use the fridge. Though we have been thinking about starting to use it. We use coleman coolers that fit in our back seat floor. One for drinks, the other for food. The one thing we do use on a regular bases is the heater.