How often should I recharge my battery with my trickle charger?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by insaniak, May 14, 2016.

1. insaniak

insaniak New Member

If i go camping at least once a month should I need to charge my battery? It charges while driving also.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

No need to trickle charge the battery provided that you either install a battery disconnect switch OR remove the positive wire from the battery so there is no parasitic draw from the propane detector ...

3. insaniak

insaniak New Member

So simply turning off the battery on the outside of my trailer isn't enough, I would need a battery disconnect switch or remove the wire?

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Yes..I disconnect the wires from the battery when we are not using it. I will also put it on a charger once a month to make sure battery stays charged. This is because we don't go camping every month...

5. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

First off, do you have a trickle charger or a battery maintainer like a Deltran Battery Tender, a BatteryMinder or something of that caliber? If you have a battery maintainer, leave it connected all the time.

Every minute a battery is at less than a full charge shortens its life due to sulfation of the plates. Disconnecting a charged battery is okay but it will immediately start to self discharge.

6. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

I did not see how much insaniak was using his battery per trip. Personally, I'd not be disconnected mine between trips. Nonetheless, recharging it before each outing would be a safe bet. I make my living using seasonal machines which start via batteries. Some years ago, I spoke with Schumacher about there chargers ability to help with sulfation. They said that all there electronic changers will run through a de-sulfation cycle. One of these is what I charge my machines with once over the summer. This does seems to work and now I personally own some Schumacher chargers as well.

http://www.batterychargers.com/battery-chargers/