How often to sanitize the water system

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Camp JT, May 22, 2016.

1. Camp JT

Camp JT New Member

After more than 20 years of tent camping I finally purchased my first camper, a '06 Starcraft Centennial 3608. While tent camping I would sanitize my water jugs before each trip. Is this necessary for the water system of PUPs or just once at the beginning of each camping season?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We sanitize the one in the TT at the beginning of the season, and if we have a large gap (more than a month or so) between trips.

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

It depends.

When I lived at house that had well water, once a year or if it sits for several months I would chlorinate and flush.

Living at a house with city chlorinated water, when I buy a new camper or I think the water system got contaminated, I would chlorinate and flush. But I always fill up my system, test and flush it out before traveling.

4. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

I never "flush". I estimate the gallons, hit it with a tad of Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetricone every so often and it stays sanitized easy breezy. We don't drink out of our water tank so to speak, we can but we don't like city water as it is. We have reverse osmosis at the house. Anyway, we wash things, shower etc. from it and it's clean as a whistle with the sodium dichlor. Get a little bag of it from your pool supply store, last you years and you won't be fighting liquid bleach all the time. Remember, it takes a very little bit to do the job, read up on it.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We type trialed using sodium dichlor at work along with an ozone set up... after 6 months of both and multiple fails from the lab, we went back to good old Javex. ...

6. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Household bleach...YUK!

62% chlorine to 3% with salt and other nasty additives of house hold bleach? Hey, to each their own.

7. Camp JT

Camp JT New Member

Thanks for the advise HiFiDave. Like you the main usage of the PUPs water would be for cleaning and coffee, I need my coffee. Our drinking water is normally bottled or canned depending on the time of day.

8. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Don't you drink the coffee?

9. Camp JT

Camp JT New Member

When camping I use a percolator and let it boil for about 5min. Best coffee in my opinion, just have to wait for it to cool down a bit.

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I do mine at the beginning of the season. I drink the water. My trailer has a filtered water fountain in the kitchen for drinking

11. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

At the beginning of the season and maybe once in the middle if the pup doesn't get used for a couple of months.

12. redz

redz New Member

How do you all sanitize your trailers? What are you using and how do you go about it?

This is on my list for the spring/summer (de-winterizing).

13. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Re: How to sanitize the water system

X2 need show help on the sanitizing.

14. davido

davido Active Member

Every spring: Flush out the RV Antifreeze, then fill the tank half-way, add an appropriate amount of bleach (I always look it up on the CDC website because I forget how much "appropriate" is), and then I tow the trailer around the block a few times to let the water slosh around. After an hour has passed I drain the tank. Then fill it and drain it again to take away the bleach taste.

When bleach is in the tank, and then again later after I've re-filled with straight water, I make sure to run all faucets -- the sink, and two shower heads, to let the treated water, and later the straight water pass through all hoses. I also flush out the water heater.

During the camping season: I flush the tank one time before each trip where I'll be using the water tank. I realize this wastes 25 gallons of water, but it also helps prevent the accumulation of a plastic taste in the water.

I also use an on-board filter, as well as an in-line filter at the bib, or whenever I fill. In other words, whenever I fill the tank the water passes through an inline filter installed on the potable water faucet. So the water we drink is double-filtered -- once on the way into the tank, and once after the pump. We find it tastes just fine that way, and has never made anyone sick.

-------

I used similar tactics with my sailboats over the years; a full bleach treatment every spring, a couple hours of sailing to slosh the bleach solution around in the tank, a full flush, and then a new flush before every sailing trip where we expected to use the tank. We also had a built-in filter on the sailboat, and used an inline filter on the hose when we filled the tank. Worked out great. I've been doing it that way since the mid-90's and never had a bad experience.

15. kitphantom

We de-winterized our TT the other day, since I'm taking it to Tucson this week. I sanitized the water system, using a Thetford 2-part product: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/thetford-fresh-water-tank-sanitizer/33229
    We pretty much follow the directions on the box.

I filled the fresh water tank with the first solution and water, and let it sit for a while, while I worked on other things. Then I flushed it through all the lines, which did the added task of flushing pink (anti-freeze) out of the lines. Once we decided the pink had been rinsed out, we drained the rest of the fresh water tank.
    Then I put the second product in, let it sit, and again flushed it through all the lines. Once we drained all of that, I could have filled the fresh water tank. [If I read the directions correctly, we could use it with the second product, but we like to make sure everything is well flushed out.] Instead, we blew out the lines, since our temps went from record highs in the 70s back to a winter storm yesterday.

16. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

For me I sanitize at the beginning of the season and replace with new water filter. We use bottle water for drinking and cooking. At the end of season I use air to get all water from lines no antifreeze for me just because it does not stay below freezing long enough where we live.

17. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

I too use bottled water for cooking and drinking - no matter what I do, the water from my tank has a funny, plastic taste. I suppose I could replace the tank, but bottled water is cheap. I use the tank water for washing dishes and then I rinse everything with boiling water to sanitize it.

18. kitphantom

The water from our tank seems to taste OK. That said, most of the water we drink is from the PUR counter top dispenser. That's a hold-over from pup days, when we didn't have a water tank. Now we use it to save the water in the tank for cooking, washing, and the toilet - saves on having to refill the tank. It also lets us gauge the quality of the water before adding it to the TT tank. We had a fine layer of dust in the top of dispenser at one campground, so (if we'd had a tank) we would not have filled the main tank form that source.
    We seldom use bottled water, except when we camp where even the filtered water is not drinkable, such as the campground in the the Flat Tops where the 2012 Colorado Rally was held. (I do carry bottled water for my sinus rinse, so I don't have to boil and cool water for that.)

19. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Canned water?

20. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member