How oftern do you usually go camping.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by loveit, May 22, 2011.

1. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

I'm self-employed and, usually, I just work all the time. My old PUP had fallen into disuse for the last couple of years because of my workload. I bought this PUP last May and went out in it twice last year. This year, I plan to make myself take one day a month off, either a Monday or a Friday, and have a three day weekend per month from April to September. (October I'll be in Georgia for the Petit Le Mans. [:D] No PUP though)

2. andleton

andleton "Happy Campers"

Not enough... wish we could go more....

3. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

I guess we average about every 2 months. We're due soon! It's so hot in GA this weekend, we should have gone to the local lake, but I had a meeting to get to. Forget Mem'l Day weekend with all the crowds, so it looks like next will be in June!

4. my3monkees

my3monkees New Member

I'm so jealous of you all!! We have only been able to go once a year. Main reason to buy the PUP, is so we can hopefully go afew more times. My biggest problem is finances, camping is much cheaper than hotels. But still 2 nights at $25 = $50 a weekend and that adds up, when you are on a tight budget. [:(]
    I want to try and set up a camping savings account and try to add to it over the winter.

5. KateTheKamper

KateTheKamper Member

I try to take a 3 - 4 day camping weekend once a month. Would like to do a week-long trip sometime but work always gets in the way and vacation time is used for other travel. Maybe when I retire that kind of camping trip can happen. :)

6. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We try to go twice a month or so for weekend trips, with a couple of long trips thrown in. Cold, rain, sun, heat, sleet, rain, snow, beach, woods, desert, it's all fun.

7. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

We try to get away for one weekend a month.

8. ike129

ike129 New Member

As often as I can. I prefer picking those fair weather quick fix weekends on a whim, but have plans for three week long excursions out in the PUP this season. I anticipate that I will be out in excess of 20 nights between now and the end of October! yay!

9. ilovecamping

ilovecamping New Member

As you can tell from my signature we were over 60 ngts for 3 years and then dropped back but are headed back up again. We want to get out more but family keeps us busy. DD is buying a house and we will be spending quite a bit of time helping her remodel and move. We do try to get out 2 wknds a month and take a 10 day trip to Branson in the summer and 3 or 4 days in Nov/Dec. We want to take DGD to some historic places this summer as well. She is turning 8 this year and is interested so we want to take advantage of it. No matter how often we go it is never enough.

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I am retired and DW is just waiting for school to get out. We have already done 10 nites and will do at least 20 more this summer

11. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Actually, she is. She wants to upgrade to Trail Manor.

12. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

We try to get out once a month during the season. We haven't done much off-season camping as this is our first p'up and we've always been in the tent.....We have some fall outings planned for this year.

13. distew1

distew1 A day without a laugh is a wasted day

Did a weekend in April, just got back from a weekend and go again this weekend. Kids r out of school in June and another weekend planned with all our 7 kids and DGS. Have to get something set in July and have one planned in august. I'm the one that's always ready to go, now if DH and DD were more willing.

14. Chewie48

Chewie48 New Member

We try for at least 2 times a month. Starting this Friday, we will be camping all over the Eastern US for about 2.5 weeks!

15. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Once a month but more if possible.

16. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

We try to go every couple of weeks in the Spring. Then we slack off during the summer because it gets crazy hot and humid. In the Fall we try to fit trips in as we can around my sons football season.

17. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Good plan.....you may also want to consider boondocking (free) and/or look into some National Forest CGs which tend to be quite a bit cheaper than SPs or private CGs. Around here NFCGs run about $10/night. NFCGs generally don't have hookups, but most have water and toilettes, as well as the picnic tables and fire rings and grills. They are also much smaller, so you don't have the crowds to contend with like you do at a SP or private CG. Dry camping and boondocking in particular will open up a whole new camping world. Sure.....you don't have the hookups, but that is offset by a much cheaper, more sereal, and relaxing experience.

18. my3monkees

my3monkees New Member

I've been looking, not many places I'm finding around allow boondocking. Closest I have been able to find is Allegheny National Forest in PA. I did just read about some National Forestry Land within an hour that does have camping. I'm on a mission to find out more about it! [:D] I think the middle of NY state has more places, but not the western part of the state.
    I LOVE the idea of boondocking!

19. KellyH

KellyH New Member

We try to go at least every other weekend, usually Apr/May to Oct/Nov, and the 3 day holiday weekends thru the summer.

20. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

Same here