How ready for a sporadic trip is your Aframe?

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
Do you mean in your tanks, for bathing/ hand washing, or purified water for drinking (or both)? I would like to figure out a system to bring purified drinking water without having to buy plastic 3/ 5 gallon containers while on longer trips or fill camelbaks/ nalgenes/ clean canteens etc. for shorter ones. I have a RO purifying system at home that we LOVE. It'd be nice to fill a glass (or other) container for our weekend trips. I'm thinking either a 5 gallon BPA free plastic jug or some glass ones. Open to suggestions.

I sanitize my fresh water tank at the beginning of the season with a bleach solution. After that, I fill the tanks as needed using a blue Camco filter on the hose I fill with. My trailer has a filtered water fountain. We use water out of it for cooking or drinking as needed. So, basically my tank water is filtered twice...We usually bring a case of bottled water for convenience. We carry extra water in a blue 7 gallon Aqua-tainer.

Last edited:

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
Because I’m frequently out camping each month… We keep the trailer stocked with non-perishables, clothes, and gear.
  • After each trip, our camping clothes and bedding are washed and restocked inside the trailer.
  • The trailer is wiped, cleaned, vacuumed and mopped.
  • The black and gray tanks are cleaned out and ready.
  • We keep canned goods inside a plastic tub and pantry foods inside air tight storage containers in our cabinets.
  • Personal hygiene items are kept inside air tight containers inside the bathroom vanity and medicine cabinet.
  • Cooking utensils, cookware, serving ware, plastic dishes, plastic utensils and paper ware are always stored inside KODI.
  • We keep our folding chairs, a Reliance water container as back up and small table in the truck camper.
All we need to do is cool down the fridge, add refrigerated items, fill up our freshwater tank and water heater. And bottle water and first aid kit inside our TV. Install our trailer battery and extra battery for our Inverter.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
I sanitize my fresh water tank at the beginning of the season with a bleach solution. After that, I fill the tanks as needed using a blue Camco filter on the hose I fill with. My trailer has a filtered water fountain. We use water out of it for cooking or drinking as needed. So, basically my tank water is filtered twice...We usually bring a case of bottled water for convenience. We carry extra water in a blue 7 gallon Aqua-tainer.
My basic method as well. Had a case of Montezuma's revenge 11 years ago camping over Thanksgiving and I'm super careful now.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
some glass ones.

This is the time of year fresh organic Apple juice and Apple cider hits the market. They are packed in heavy one gallon glass jugs. We put an ad in Craigslist asking for the empties. Usually horsetrade hanging basket Bougainvillea starts for them. Hand made a wooden crate to protect in transit.
You never know what the next Phthalate or BPA they will find in plastic jugs. BPA was quickly replaced with BPS just like the BPA ban never happened.

Get the ones with a glass ring molded into them. Of The non ring ones we brake one we couple years.

This is how we control from where our water comes.

Campeador

May 22, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
This is the time of year fresh organic Apple juice and Apple cider hits the market. They are packed in heavy one gallon glass jugs. We put an ad in Craigslist asking for the empties. Usually horsetrade hanging basket Bougainvillea starts for them. Hand made a wooden crate to protect in transit.
You never know what the next Phthalate or BPA they will find in plastic jugs. BPA was quickly replaced with BPS just like the BPA ban never happened.

Get the ones with a glass ring molded into them. Of The non ring ones we brake one we couple years.
Thanks, I was hoping you'd chime in. By 'glass ring' are you referring to the part that serves as a sort of (one finger) handle? Also, it seems that caps are important, as some rust. Any advice on that?

Campeador

May 22, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
My basic method as well. Had a case of Montezuma's revenge 11 years ago camping over Thanksgiving and I'm super careful now.
Do you two have a reverse osmosis filtering system installed beneath your sinks? I don't think my Expedition could fit the 6 stage version that I have at home, but maybe a smaller version would suffice. Having lived in Mexico, I know all too well the importance of being cautious with water. To be fair, even the well water at my dad's lake place near Canada gave me troubles. In short, it's worth it to be smart about drinking water.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
Thanks, I was hoping you'd chime in. By 'glass ring' are you referring to the part that serves as a sort of (one finger) handle? Also, it seems that caps are important, as some rust. Any advice on that?

Yeah, The one finger handle. The water on the sides makes the slick glass slippery. My 2014 main tank is probably full of chemicals and God knows what is in the tanks of those 25 -30 year old pop ups these people are buying. Do the Garlic demonstration to show how fast chemicals are absorbed thru the skin. Hence, we dont use the main tank except if we are going somewhere where there is no communal water available and our demand exceeds supply. Then the main tank is toilet water. We use the main tank mainly to balance the weight of the camper on the axle. We keep a list and tell you the closest spring to each campground. The health dept keeps an eye open on well known springs.

Oh, the caps. Go to an old fashion auto parts store. They sell old fashion thin, cork sheets called gasket material. That prevents the glass lip from wearing the paint of the cap leading to exposed metal.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
Do you two have a reverse osmosis filtering system installed beneath your sinks? I don't think my Expedition could fit the 6 stage version that I have at home, but maybe a smaller version would suffice. Having lived in Mexico, I know all too well the importance of being cautious with water. To be fair, even the well water at my dad's lake place near Canada gave me troubles. In short, it's worth it to be smart about drinking water.
On-board water, although filtered, is just for washing dishes and toilet. Only thing I drink camping is bottled.
Well, and beer. Scotch too. Or bourbon. Alcohol kills the germs.... ...right?

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
Everybody needs a vice<GG>

WHy does Brandy come in glass bottles? Its the reward for what I dont consume.

IF you must transport your water in plastic the current research is to make the plastic container as hard as possible. BPA was used to make the plastic flexible as is BPS.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
Everybody needs a vice<GG>

WHy does Brandy come in glass bottles? Its the reward for what I dont consume.

IF you must transport your water in plastic the current research is to make the plastic container as hard as possible. BPA was used to make the plastic flexible as is BPS.
You'd love to chat with one of my colleagues; he's been doing mountains of research on microplastics in water lately.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
speaking of water, most folks buying prepackaged bottled water are at more risk of contamination from plastics than if they stuck with household tap water (setting aside the newest houses with PEX plastic water piping) in a metal canteen (metal canteens are cheap)

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
@Hilldweller
@Campeador

My current position is water can be over filtered. Watch me thread this needle.<GG>

Positive things have been published about the Berkley's filtering ability. There is a magnesium deficit nationwide in the human body. Research indicates hundreds of years ago we drank from streams where the water washed over rocks which greatly increased the amount of Magnesium and other minerals in it. We now send the water to the filtering plant where we filter the Hell out of it removing the Magnesium, etc. So you can have water that has some of the toxins removed or water with the minerals removed. Artificial vitamins are not as absorbable as natural vitamins found in food. Does that apply to minerals????

Magnesium oxide is the type of Magnesium that you get when you are on prescription Mag. It is not very absorbable. Magnesium Malate is more absorbable but not available in prescription form. So I can get Medicare to pay for something that doesnt work or reach into my pocket for something that does.<GG>

The pulp and forestry industries are major industries in the Deep South. The pulp producers have dumped chemicals into the rivers for decades. There is a popular fishing lake with fishing restrictions of something like eat 1 fish every 2 weeks recommended. The US army had a Jeep rebuilding unit in WWII and they threw batteries into the lake. The locals know that if you pull fish from that harbor that the bass come complete with tumors the size of my fist. There is another river with a dumping ground of cloth dye from the 40's and deformed fish. So what do you want? Toxins or natural minerals? City water comes from these rivers today.

Water is 8.35 pounds per gallon. 83.5 pounds per 10 gallons. Add tare for the containers. Transport water VS delivered at my house?

Chemicals are readily absorbed thru the skin. Try a Garlic Poultice and you will find out.

I compromise. Just like my diet, it is not perfect. Certain amounts of Brandy are allowed, rarely, in my diet. I bath at home with City water but drink spring water. I am hoping there is a difference in absorption and placing it in me. I try to drink as much spring water as possible but realize you must compromise in this modern world.

I heard about a Spring at a campground in the SMNP mountains. Walked up on it and ask 3 Park Rangers where was the spring? They proceeded with a 5 minute speech about how dangerous it was to drink from one. The park secretly tests that spring. They were filling up their canteens with that water.

https://www.amazon.com/UV-lights/s?k=UV+lights

Natural gas on 10-28- 2021 = $5.82 per
10-28-2020 = $2.93

You wont be able to afford camping this winter <GG>

Jenkamus

Oct 17, 2015
Surprise, AZ
We have the camper stocked with everything it needs, less food. Everything is stored in there, it is stored in the garage and we live in AZ where moisture is not an issue. Our propane tanks are always mostly full, water jugs accessible to refill. Camper has a solar panel so even if battery is not topped off we are still good.

We have a 3 drawer sterilte type container we keep in the house as our 'pantry' box, any non refrigerated food gets stored in here and put in the car. Usually at the end of our camping season it gets unloaded of any items that might spoil to our normal pantry and restocked before the next, but it always has some long term items like canned soups.

I sometimes have meals portioned out in the freezer labeled for camping that we can grab.

I usually preplan and prepare most of our meals at home before camping trips so food is our hardest part, but we always have something here we could grab to pack quickly if needed.