How shoulf I go about this used E3?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by ador, Jul 14, 2011.

1. ador

ador New Member

Hi folks. I have been watching/reading a lot of posts in this forum regarding your "first pop purchase". I finally found a used 2008 E3(looked good on the pics) that I have always wanted. Here are my concerns.

1. The dealer is asking for 3K more than what the NADA is saying for this particular year/model. Should I offer what "exactly" NADA is saying? Or 10% more? 20% more? What is the normal process on how to make an offer?

2. E3 is 700 miles away from me. I am willing to drive my TV to pick it up, after I inspect the unit. Sales Rep is willing to accept a deposit so they can flag the unit SOLD. I go down there to inspect. If I like it, I pay the balance (I'm paying CASH). If I don't like it, Sales Rep will refund my deposit. The draw back is the money I will spend for gas. I'm looking at $600 for gas, both ways.

Bottom line is this. I am paying CASH (if it makes any difference). I will be spending $600 for gas. Will be driving 1400 miles, round trip. I REALLY like this trailer.

What do you experienced folks suggest? I told the sales rep I will call back within 48hrs.

2. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Wow. You must get lousy mileage..( sorry). I see 3 e-3's in Ca. on Craigslist. One in Stockton, one in L.A. and one in Reno.( Almost Ca. ) They appear to be private sellers, and the prices range from 9000 to 12000. Is this the ballpark you are in? You probably wont get much dealer support from this guy if he is 700 miles away. You might be just as well off getting one of these others.

Greg

3. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

My first question is what is your TV. I can do it for $300 bucks round trip in my Dodge. I see you are in Cali and that explains the price (Sorry). Anyway I did the same thing when I bought my RT10 in Phoenix. I live in Clovis NM 700 plus for mileage. Made a deposit and drove out with the same guarantee. If the pics are good ask for more of the tires and a close up of the frame and water tank. The dealer I worked with was great. We arrived on a Saturday morning and left by noon. They installed the brake controller and did the setup demo. Go for it if it looks good!

4. ador

ador New Member

Greg, my potential TV really has a lousy mileage (2005 Hummer H2). It drinks gas. Normal mpg right now is 11-12 mpg. I figure once I tow a trailer, that will drop down to 8-9 mpg. This is the only TV I have. No plan in getting another TV.

Bearman512, I saw a 2006 E2 (yellow) nearby (Menifee). Guy is asking $7,900. Refrigerator not working, rear was slightly modified. Another guy in Whittier is selling a 2007 E3. He is asking for 12K. The one that is 700 miles away is 2008 E3 (yellow, which I really prefer), looked very clean in the pictures. Asking price is 13K. NADA is showing a bit less than 10K. Don't know what is the BEST way to approach this dealer.

What is the rule of thumb when making an offer to either dealer or private seller? Offer NADA value?

As far as service is concerned, what will happen to Coleman's warranty? Now that there is no longer Coleman (as a heard).

Ador

5. bearman512

6. ador

ador New Member

BEAR, I'm from Pasadena/Los Angeles area.

7. bearman512

How big of deck do you need? I am partial to Starcraft and know from experiance they are well built and can handle just about anything you throw at them. The Colemans are great but in the future parts are going to be difficult to find.

8. Trackside

Trackside New Member

When I was looking for used PUP's last year NADA was always a lot less then people were asking, but the PUP's always sold to another party and I was offering 25 to 30% higher than NADA and it got to the point where I missed out on a few great PUP's because of it. After all if people are willing to pay more than NADA then perhaps NADA really is just a guide, not the rule.

I'd use the NADA listing as part of your argument to the dealer to lower their price as well as how far out you are coming from, but if its worth 12K to you then buy it cause its prime season right now, not November - March so they are going to get a prime rate for it IMO.

9. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Last year, when I was shopping for my e-2, I was willing to do a long haul to get one. Turns out I got one in Yuma ( 150 miles or so ) . I took 2 trips out there to get the deal done. First trip in my Corolla, 2nd trip with the TV to bring it home. Since then, I have seen some a lot closer, and I don't think I would go 700 miles for one. I think there are better deals out there.

Greg

10. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

11. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Boy, that is a long, long way to go to simply look a camper over!

I would certainly be crying poor mouth to the salesman. The problem with the NADA book right now (which is based on dealer reports) is that it's geared for trade-ins, to be used by the dealers, to get the trade-in as cheaply as possible. You could (if you have not already) throw the price difference at the saleman. At best, I would offer lower, contingent on the actual condition of the camper ... AND ... if some kind of a deal is made, the price of the gas comes off the price. Hey, they are in the business of selling campers and I'll bet there is not that much of a pressing demand for a camper where the company has now gone out of business.

12. ador

ador New Member

Thanks for the information Greg. I emailed the seller last night. Still waiting for an answer. Still contemplating on the one from OR. But the one from Reno looks good enough for me, pricewise.

Ador

13. JETent

JETent JT

Ador-

My [2C].

I have been researching/shopping for a pup now going on 5 months. I don't have much advice other than to say, be patient--and not that you aren't already.

This weekend I will travel 225mi (450mi round trip) to look at an E3 that to date, I have only reviewed via high res photos. The seller is motivated and has been very willing to appease my photo requests (underneath rig, underneath sink, all corners of interior canvas, roof, AC and etc.).

I had looked and looked (giving myself a "4hr drive" search radius) on various online classified sites and classified aggregators. I made trips to dealerships for hands on experience. Weekend before last, FOUR rugged PUPs showed up (one Baja 10Y and three E3's) in my search radius. I liked them all, but the price and condition of one particular E3 was far and above that of units previously seen (via Internet/dealerships in Tx) in my search radius. I am 98.999% sure this is the deal for me. I fully expect to be hauling the big, beautiful E3 home on Saturday evening.

I am excited for you! Good luck.

Later,
    JT

Onward.

14. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

For the prices they are asking, I'd go buy a new one under warranty.

JJ