How to check for repaired water damage

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Rideswithchrist, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Active Member

I am looking at a Jayco with delamination on the inside of the roof. They said there was water damage but it has been repaired.

There is also a Starcraft we are looking at, but it is 3.5 hours from us, so I am trying to ask more questions before committing to that drive in case we have to come home without it.

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I'm sceptical of someone that is selling something and says "it has been repaired". Do they have receipts or pictures of the repair process? Was it just a tube if silicone that they used to repair it?

xxxapache and Raycfe like this.
  3. Rideswithchrist

That is how I am feeling about it. I think this is a flipper. I would rather buy from an individual I think.
    Great price, unless we have to replace the roof! Then it is a money pit.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

There's only one way to properly repair an RV roof that has leaked and that's to completely disassemble the affected area, replace what's been damaged, then reseal. Not many will do that but simply lay down some more caulking and call it good - which it isn't as that type of repair will only lead to the formation of mold. There are plenty of used campers out there, it's just a matter of finding the right one - no need to even consider any trailer that shows signs of leakage.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  5. Rideswithchrist

I did not trust that seller, so we skipped it. The one we are looking at now the seller was honest that the only leak he has had was when they had a very hard rain and water came in the front bunk....I have heard that is common.

nineoaks2004 and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

NO trailer should leak but the reality is many do. Can't imagine why anyone would knowingly buy any trailer the current owner admits does leak is a mystery. [?:~{]

Rideswithchrist likes this.
  7. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

I have been in hard rain with our 3 bunk hybrid and it does not leak. Never has.

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

A leak might be a common problem, according to the owner.. But I would walk away from one that the owner is saying it is leaking

9. Rideswithchrist

We are going to look at it and see what he means. I would honestly rather buy from someone that tells me an issue they had than someone that says "no leaks" and they are lying.

From the research I have done, those front bunk seals can become old and yes, hard rain can seep in. Changing seals usually fixes it. That is why I want to know more about it. I am not going to discount it just yet, but we are also wary and not interested in another project ha.

10. Rideswithchrist

No, I would buy one where the owner says it has NEVER leaked except for one time that there was a crazy torrent rain, but they had no issue after that. I would buy from an owner that is open and honest.
    I sold our popup that DID leak, and we repaired it and let the new owner know that we did not get around to a specific part. Full Disclosure to me means more than "yup -no issues" lying. That said, we do not want one that needs repairs other than seal replacement so if we have to move on, we will :)