How to convert Coleman single burner to work with RV's low pressure quick connect?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by davekro, Sep 14, 2019.

1. davekro

davekro Member

Has anyone gotten Coleman and Weber 1 lb gas can units to work well off of the Pup's low pressure quick connect gas lines?

I got the necessary adapters to connect my new Coleman Powerpack single burner stove and my Weber gas grill to the low pressure Pup quick connects. On the Coleman, I think I need to remove the Schrader type valve inside the brass connector where it connects at the base of the stove (special very long tool needed). I've not tried yet but think I've read the Weber may work (just w/ the adapted connectors).

We want to use the single burner 'inside just for morning coffee'. We'll do cooking outside and may even use the Coleman single for that too (and leave the huge Pup 3 burner at home!). Sure, I could put a 'T' before the regulator on the front LPG tank and run separate gas hoses to the back and inside, but... no!

My Coleman Single burner stove:
    https://smile.amazon.com/Coleman-Po...leman+powerpack+perfect,lawngarden,200&sr=1-1

My Weber gas grill:
    https://smile.amazon.com/Weber-1141...ix=weber+gas+go-anywhere+grill,aps,193&sr=8-1

This thread touches on this but no solutions because it mainly focuses on connecting to a high pressure LPG tank sans regulator.
    https://www.popupportal.com/threads...ur-little-our-little-grill.66264/#post-578487

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I dont think the low pressure lp will give you the btus needed to use a higher output stove. I would think it would be easier to t off the front line bring a second lp tank or get a low pressure stove. That is if the appiances your trying to connect use higher pressure.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

The Weber should work with very little modification, lots of how to's for doing it posted on the various forums.. IIRC GreyWolf has even done the mod..

As for the Coleman.. no idea if it can be mod'ed to work with the LP quick disconnect, I have read a few posts on different forums, some claim it works, some claim it won't and others claim it works but not the greatest..

Myself, I would carry a second (or a third) 20lb tank (or buy a smaller 5 or 10lb tank) and use a Tee adapter and connect both units to it, this way you can set them up where you want them on the site.. Specially nice if your outside of suburbia and the is a chance bears might be around, you can set them up on the opposite side of the site..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. davekro

davekro Member

I had no idea propane stoves were designed to operate differing pressure than what would come out of the Pups' regulator, but seems I recall reading something along the line of Coleman's 'not working that well'. Maybe I'll give up on forcing this.
    Anyone know of any smaller and lighter one (or two) burner stoves sold separately designed to run off of the Pup's regulator?
    And Maybe I suck it up and keep the small green propane tank(s), since the lantern still uses those. (hard to let things go sometimes! ;o)

5. Sjm9911

They sell a octopus that goes on the bigger lp tanks that have a spot for a lantern, and grills. Additionally, there are ways to fill the smaller tanks so you dont have to trash them when empty. For me the lower pressure lp stuff dosent work well. A pig tail off the front tank is also a good idea.

6. p

p Active Member

It is easy if you can remove the stoves distributor and attach a quick connect.

Weber 2500 and Coleman road trip grills are easy to do. In fact, a Coleman conversion takes I min and a 10$ part of.Amazon.

7. davekro

davekro Member

I have not tried my Weber grill yet, but I have the connections to the quick connect. The stumbling block is with the Coleman single burner stove (not ‘grill’).

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

In general portable stoves operate @ 15 psi internally so a PUs low pressure won't work even if you could remove the stove's regulator. Campchef bigger stoves operate via low pressure.
    In general grills operate via low pressure. remove the reg and viola. Your grill has the controls built in (high/low) so it can not be removed, give it a try and ya might find that it works but not much heat control.

davekro likes this.
  9. davekro

davekro Member

Thank you so much for explaining why to not try to gut the Coleman stove's regulating devices! Gteat info to know. Do you happen to know what Pup's regulated gas pressure is (generally)?

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

regulated low pressure is defined as less than 1 psi but most any appliance uses 11" water column or ~.5psi.
    Your standard BBQ grill uses 11" wc.
    As you can see this 0.5 psi ain't enough to operate a regulated high pressure stove that needs 15 psi.

To me high pressure is container pressure which varies with temperature, near 100 psi @ 60F

davekro likes this.
  11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I don't think that style of Weber will work. The regulator and temp selector are one unit. They are great grills, I have one myself. The Q series of Weber grill are easily converted though. I have done it to mine. They do make a kit that has everything together, but I just sourced my parts from Home Depot for less. Same goes for that Coleman stove - I am pretty sure it is high pressure. I tried to convert a Coleman 3-burner stove, and it was a failure. Not enough pressure to light more than one burner, and then only at a simmer.

Most of the large Camp Chef stoves will work on the low pressure port. The smaller ones (Mountain style) along with the typical Coleman style propane stoves are all high pressure, and won't work off the quick connect.

The Coleman Road Trip line of stoves are also easily converted. The newer ones are easier since they have a screw in regulator that you can just buy a replacement adapter. However, the older Blue model is superior in my opinion, as the stand is separate and makes it easier to store the whole unit. The newer ones all have integrated wheels and are less convenient to store for transport if you are tight on space like I am. The biggest issue with the Road Trip, which really applies to all low pressure stoves, is they just plain suck in the wind. Even worse with the Road Trip as it has no wind protection. However, the blue one uses a clamp/push style connection for the regulator - I bought a spare, put it in a vice and was able to break free the regulator from the pipe, and attached my old stove hose to the pipe. No leaks and it works, but it isn't pretty.

I also have a Camp Chef Weekender stove. I have been really happy with this one - easily adjustable flame, super easy to use with low pressure (just buy a different hose), and it has wind protection. However, it is larger and heavier, but not as bad as the much larger Expedition style of stoves.

An alternate option is a Blackstone griddle - they can also be easily converted through the purchase of an adapter. Since I got mine I have found that most of my cooking is simply done on the griddle, and the stove only gets used every once in a while when I need something like beans, rice or corn on the cob.

My problem now is deciding which cooking gear to take on any given trip.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

I did corn on the cob on the blackstone also, i used the blasting cover and kept squirting water under it so it would steem. Not perfect, but good. I do find the blackstone easier as its more versitile.