How to decide....small area of rot...cut out or repair?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by k-t-did, Jan 31, 2020.

1. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

I am restoring a vintage fiberglass weirdo-pop up. There are threads in the vintage and the restoration forums. Pic of it is my profile pic.

The floor is super solid. I found only one super small area of rot at the rear right corner. The area is about 8x3"...not even a full square foot. It does not seem to affect the structural integrity of the popup, and will not be an area where anyone will walk. (it's in a little storage area under a bench). The lift mechanism does not "push" off the floor like a typical PUP. It's a spring loaded device, so nothing is pushing against the wood.

What would you do? Try to cut it out and patch a new piece of wood, or fill it with that epoxy/wood repair stuff...I forget the name.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I would use Git Rot

Raycfe and k-t-did like this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

For an area that small, in a non critical area, I would try some of the stuff xxxapache mentioned or similar, first.. if it doesn't work or the rot gets worse, then I would cut it out and replace it..

k-t-did likes this.
  4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have done a homemade Git Rot approach. I got a syringe from the farm store and injected Minwax Helmsman spar urethane in a piece of plywood that had some water damage.

k-t-did likes this.
  5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

A wood patch would require some kind of support ... treating the wood or using metal sounds like good ideas to me.

6. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Looking at your photos, and if the wood is not totally decimated, for where the spot is I’d try epoxy first. If that fails then try patching. GITROT is a popular product. Another popular here in the NW is The Rot Doctor CPES. I fairly confident West Marine also has a penetrating epoxy. As mentioned, the key is getting it into the wood.

Good luck.

k-t-did likes this.