How to fill hot water tank (only)...?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by curls, Aug 3, 2017.

1. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

If your water connections aren't marked on your trailer, you should look for one that your can screw a water hose into - that should be your city water connection, which shouldn't fill your water tank....
    The other should be a cap that gets unscrewed and you would fill by pouring water into it (hose or jugs of water)- this one should fill your water tank.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  2. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Ok, thank you so much.

3. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Can you help? I just want to fill my water heater tank. My 2009 palomino has the potable water fill clearly marked for the large water tank, but which one of these is used to fill the water heater only? The bottom plug cap comes off easy but the top one turns but doesn't come off. Again I just wabpntbto fill water heater tank. Here's the picture. Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Can you tell me which off these is the city water. The top knob turns but I can't get it off. The bottom knob with cord comes off. Here's the picture

Attached Files:

5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Top one is your city water connection. The bottom one is the drain for the sink.

It looks like something is jammed in to the connector. Like the previous owner cut off a hose and left the end in the fitting.

kitphantom likes this.
  6. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Thank you for quick response. For some reason, I'm having trouble getting that first knob off. It spins but doesn't come off.
    Secondly, how would I go about draining the sink when I'm ready for that? You have been very helpful.

7. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

9. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Thank you. Is this something we can fix just by pulling it out?

10. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

can I fix this? Should I just pull it out to see what's going on? Thank you

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

No telling for sure if that will work, without knowing what the previous owner had done. I'd probably try to gently pull that silver piece out, or see if it will unscrew. If the flower-shaped part is turning, see if the metal "cap" is too. If so, see if you can hold that as you turn the "flower".
    If we were doing it, if those methods didn't work, we'd buy a new one (& butyl tape, but we keep that on hand) and just replace it when we had time. [Ours is yellowing, so we know we'll be replacing it in the next couple of years.]
    Are you wanting to fill the HWT so that it's full and then use from the fresh water tank? That's actually what we do when we fill up before a trip.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    ezakoske and theseus like this.
  12. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I agree with @kitphantom on what to do here. Perhaps hold the silver part with a pair of pliers while turning the flower, clockwise I believe.

As for the drain, remove the cap. Hook a hose to it and let it drain into a bucket or other container for disposal.

13. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Well, we finally unscrewed the cap to see what was going on. The threading seemed Kay but tha daisy knob wouldn't budge! I never saw so much caulking in my life and I m wondering if that's whybthe daisy knob can't come off. If turns both ways, do for now, we will take the entire thing off to fill the hot water tank until we replace it I guess. I actually was hoping just to fill the hot water tank with the six gallons and not fill the fresh water tank. We are taking a two night trip, locally, this weekend, justvto get familiar with the pop. I need to still drain the antifreeze out of the bypassed water heater. Guess all I have to do there is turn on the faucets, one at a time until the water runs clear and keep blushing out the hot water heater? Appreciate help

14. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

The daisy shouldn’t come off. It is there to help you screw in the male end of the hose into the fitting.

15. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

The center of that daisy knob, where that grey knobby is, is so pushed into the daisy knob and has some kind of caulking or whatever on it. It can come off, like putty, but not sure why it was done in the first place

16. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

17. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Well, successfully replaced the city water flange. Looks good! Now I'm hoping I can just fill fill the water heater tank and not have to bother filling the fresh water tank for this short trip Saturday! We will be dry camping, no frills but we do have access to a spigot and I have a 25 ft white hose and grey. There is some antifreeze in sink lines that we were told about but not in the fresh water tank. Any suggestions for the beginner would be appreciated.

18. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Even if your pre-fill your water heater, ultimately, I think you're going to need to put some water in your water tank to have your water pump be able to push water into your water heater, which will push hot water out of the water heater when you open a hot water faucet while camping.
    i.e. I don't believe your water pump will draw hot water out of your heater to the faucet...

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the way my system works.

kitphantom likes this.
  19. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

This is correct...

kitphantom likes this.
  20. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

I'm going to go ahead and fill fresh water tank. I think it's easier and I can empty upon leaving campground