How to fill hot water tank (only)...?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by curls, Aug 3, 2017.

1. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Excellent plan...I hope you have a good trip.

2. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

One last question, if I do not plan on using hot water at the sink, can I leave the water heater tank in bypass mode or do I need to undo that? Thanks

3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

If you don't open the bypass, you will not fill the tank. If you have water in the tank the bypass should be undone.

4. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Would it be okay to fill the fresh water tank before getting to our site and then take water heater tank out of bypass? Thanks for your help

5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Do you have a permanently installed bypass? If you aren’t going to use the water heater, just leave it bypassed.

6. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Thank
    you for help. Just stayed at a full service campsite. I was looking for my hot water tank only and discovered that it was under the long bench inside, surrounded by wood and the top had screws keeping it closed. Why would someone enclose their hot water tank like that? Now I'm not sure if it's bypassed or not and will have to check it out when it comes back from a door repair and a new fresh water tank being installed. The dealer we bought our 2009 palomino from, never told us we had a damaged fresh water tank with several cracks and they never checked it. Trying to keep expenses down by figuring the hot water tank myself. So when everything is fixed, I'm hoping to get some help in connecting to city water and filling that hot water tank. Next trip us July 27th. Sure would like to get that water system going at a full service site.

7. bheff

bheff Active Member

Regardless if it is covered or not you will have pipes going in and out of the heater. Somewhere there should something that looks like the pic below. That is the bypass feature. While picking up the pup and new tank, it may benefit you by having the dealership show you exactly where everything is and how it works.
    [​IMG]

8. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

We had decided, because of other issues, to bring the pup to another dealer. Hopefully they'll tell us. Thank you

9. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

I have heard that in order to drain your water heater tank, you have to remove the anode from the outside of popup. I took this pic. Could you tell me where anode is or how I would drain the water heater tank? Thanks

Attached Files:

10. bheff

bheff Active Member

That is your furnace. What is the make and model of your water heater?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  11. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

My mistake. That was on the outside of camper. Not sure as popup is away for repair. It's a suburban I know

12. bheff

bheff Active Member

[​IMG] you should find something like this on the outside behind a metal door.[​IMG]

13. bheff

bheff Active Member

Water heater door on outside should look something like this.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  14. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

That's great. Thank you. Just purchased this pup and have been in three, waterless trips with it. We are without it now because the dealer who sold it, never even checked out the f easy water tank. I had a call from the new dealer and he said there were several cracks in that tank on sides and bottom. So wecarecdown to learning about the water system and hoping our water heater tank is in good shape.