How to fill in gaps in bunk end corners and Door

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by jessielyn119, Mar 8, 2016.

1. jessielyn119

jessielyn119 New Member

Starting by saying THE CAMPER IS LEVEL on all 4 sides. I know its an old pup and the frame could be tweaked but its hard to see that i think there is a plastic L piece missing from the bottom door frame that would have covered the holes in the door??? The canvas is covering where it is supposed to cover so that's not the problem and the door is closing properly but i can see all the way around the bottom square of the door frame!! Anyone have any ideas?? Also the two bunk ends have gaps where the canvas does not come around and fill in... in this case there could maybe be a missing plastic piece also that was once there?? or has the canvas shrunk?? i don't want critters getting in while i sleep [:(O] We have tried pushing in the bunk ends a bit but doesn't work due to rod at top and we have raised and lowered the pup as well with no luck. Thank you for any suggestions or mods we can do!! i have looked and looked on here and other sites and i am at a loss!!! [V]
    **1979 Jayco Jay King**

Attached Files:

• Gaps.jpg
      Gaps.jpg
      File size:
      268.4 KB
      Views:
  2. fastdixie

fastdixie Member

My canvas has similar gaps, tho' without it popped, I couldn't say better or worse. My first thought is that in '79, the fit of these details was not of utmost concern. These are gaps where dissimilar materials stretch, slide, and pinch in together and they might not have envisioned something airtight.
    Canvas popups aren't very critter proof. Most critters will easily chew through canvas or small enough to creep in through bunge areas. Critters follow their nose looking for food. We've made it a practice to be fastidious about food. Most our camping is in bear country, so all food starts and ends in the vehicle, not in the camper or coolers on the picnic table. Perfumey stuff and dirty clothes also. If big critters aren't interested the small ones probably aren't either.
    I too wish to seal up mine but more for wind protection when it's cold at night. Anything you can do to push, pull, squeeze or fill the gap will work for this. Look in hardware for rubber door sweeps, gaskets, garage door seals, that could be modified to fit your gap without affecting the collapsing operations... good luck and post pics!

3. Mally

Mally Member

I like fastdixies idea about rubber door sweeps and such. Your local hardware store would carry a plethora of different sizes and styles. And you could cut to fit and mount as needed.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

The gaps on the door are very similar to the gaps I had on my 91 Jayco. I can't remember what the bunk end had, but remember there was always a bit of a breeze, but my bungies werent the greatest. Surprisingly dispite the gaps I never had any nightly pests find their way in. Then again I don't leave any open food stuff out. I was a tenter before this and it was ingrained in my head. What you could probably do is take some patch pieces and like drape it over the gap. This could prevent the flying critters, but most use the open door (dang midnight potty runs).

5. jessielyn119

jessielyn119 New Member

Lol you guys just scared the crap out of me now! [:O] [:O] critters! I put some heavy duty velcro around the door and bought some gaskets too...took care of 90% of the door issues. Still working on bunk ends.

6. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

My Jayco has all the same gaps and more. Haven't really worried about it too much. I don't like crawling critters or flybys but that comes with being in the outdoors. I do try to push some of the thick spongy weather strips into the holes in the bed areas.

As an aside, I recently purchased a 1976 Apache Royal hard side popup. No canvas, no gaps. I'm in love. :)

7. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Those gaps look very much like what I see in my Jayco. Regarding the gaps at either side of the bunk end, in my case there is a small 'L' of vinyl trim that is sort of designed to fill those, but often it will get caught up under the bunk and need to be adjusted to minimize the opening. Mine's still in off-season storage, if it weren't I would get you a picture of what I'm trying to describe. But I do think that you can close that up some if you have that same trim still in place.

For what it's worth, we've never really had any issues with bugs flying in thru the gaps or anything.

8. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Looks like the top door seal is missing.

Jayco Door Seal 0502416
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAYCO-DOOR-SEAL-BUG-SEAL-GREY-/141783952025

If the bunk end bug seals are ripped, too short or missing entirely, you'll have to look for those or contact canvasreplacements.com (or through their eBay store) to see if they can hook you up. Your local Jayco dealer should be able to get you what you need too, so don't forget to check with them. don't hesitate to pull the trigger on purchases from CanvasReplacements either. They're well regarded around here.

9. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I have the same gaps on my Fleetwood that you do around the ends of the bed in the corners. When I care (read, really cold or really hot weather), I just stuff wadded up paper towel in there to keep the cold outside or inside respectively. I don't have an elegant solution, yet.

10. jessielyn119

jessielyn119 New Member

NO MORE GAPS!! so what i did was added Velcro to the 4 corners of the original fabric and budgied it down how it is supposed to be. Then added Ultra tough outdoor fabric bought at walmart for $4.96 a yard. (canvas on one side and vinyl on the other) to the perimeter outer edges of the bunk end canvas with outdoor carpet tape! then on the end that butts up to the camper i put velcro on the camper and the new canvas. It still needs a strip of velcro down the middle seam but other than that its done!! I stapled most of the velcro down so it shouldn't pop up. I feel much more bug safe now lol. When its time to fold up the camper i will just unvelcro the new canvas from the camper and pull the flaps around and unbungie the original stuff and fold in like usual! Probably OVERKILL but ill sleep better LOL and it will add a layer of protection from elements underneath camper.

Attached Files:

11. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Good Job!